587,467 active members*
4,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

3d relief from bitmap

did anyone try BitCam Gold software?
    It`s 20 times cheaper than ArtCam Pro...

You can try my software, MeshCAM at http://www.robgrz.com/meshcam.phtml , which is available as a free beta. Do a search here for MeshCAM to see what others have done with it.

Robert

Very cool program Robert. I`m waiting for full blown commercial version...

I just found nice little utility - converts bitmap to STL and IGES - it`s called Bmp2iges (from Germany)

http://www.ba-bautzen.de/~geisel/bmp2iges.htm

very easy to work with.....

I just uploaded Beta 13 to http://www.robgrz.com/download.phtml .
    I've totally rewritten the 3d code to make it easier to manipulate
    the geometry, specifically large models. It's not perfect yet, maybe
    %80 done, but I think it's a big improvement. I'm releasing it now
    to try and get some feedback before I keep tweaking that last %20 in
    a vacuum.

I won't list all the changes here, but there are a lot and they're
    pretty good. Check it out and let me know.

Thanks,
    Robert

Paraform has a free tool to import a "cloud of points" and export a triangulated .STL mesh called "points2polys".

points2polys

I have not used it yet. There are a lot of ways to cut the cheese.
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!

Here is something new:

Virtual Sculptor VS3D/ VScad3 Software
    @DesignsComputed.com

This has to be the coolest program for creating/messing 3d reliefs (at least for the price
    Free demo version, unlimited time, simple GUI

Check it out!

walter:
    VS3D does look pretty cool. But at $2400 Per licensed copy plus $100 for Licence Key Reissue everytime you change something on your computer I'd say it's a little steep.

Here are some links I have:
    ArtCam Pro
    ImageCarve
    Meshcam
    DeskAM, DeskArt, DeskEngrave
    Virtual Sculptor (VS3D)
    BitCam Gold (3D CAD software)
    BMP2CNC - Freeware (Make sure saved file has "tgz" extension. Not "gz".)
    QuickCam 3D
    PGM2DFX - C Code only
    BobCad's BobArt

Related Stuff:
    UZR 3D - 3D Objects from digital camera
    D Scupltor - 3D objects from digital camera

Anyone got any to add?

Thanks to you guys and this forum I was finally able to cut some wood .

My miniature CNC was built on $299 budget, including Xylotex+motors, leadscrews and Foredom type spindle+flexshaft. Just wanted to experiment little with 3d carving. I didn`t think it would be this easy. Relatively speaking ...

I found SLT file on the Net, then processed with MeshCam and AccuTrans3D. (I wish I could get good results from BMP files but...it`s harder than I thought).

Pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample1.jpg   Sample2.jpg   Sample3.jpg   Sample4.jpg  

sample5.jpg  

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by samualt
    Anyone got any to add?
    Have you checked the review in the Magazine - Its listed as "THE QUEST FOR 2.5/3-D CONVERSION" --- But, it really focuses on Image (BMP/JPG/etc) to G-Code conversion - Missed a few of the ones mentioned here - perhaps I'll issue a 'Redeux".
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Check this thread .....

Bitmap to 2.5D model... I can do that... for free... and in no more than 10 mins...

check the thread below...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43622
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Digital Bas-relief from 3D Scenes - YouTube

Video tutorials "Creation a bas-relief from 3d models".
    This is a new way to create a bas-relief from 3D-models by using «Blender composite nodes patch».
    Download: Deposit Files
    Media Book Format - *.exe (swf)
    Size - 220 Mb
    Duration - 50 min.

Don't believe the hype...

Quote Originally Posted by aues View Post
    Video tutorials "Creation a bas-relief from 3d models".
    This is a new way to create a bas-relief from 3D-models by using «Blender composite nodes patch
    Don't believe the hype.....

This method dates back to at least 2009.. when the blender composite patch to perfom this type of render was given away FREE..

see the link below.. to download the patch from blender development...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1075095

Danny
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

New

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    Don't believe the hype.....

This method dates back to at least 2009.. when the blender composite patch to perfom this type of render was given away FREE..

see the link below.. to download the patch from blender development...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1075095

Danny
    Maybe so, but this method is promoted bad and I want to improve this!

Just think folks should know the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by aues View Post
    Maybe so, but this method is promoted bad and I want to improve this!

Hi there,

I agree there hasn't been much promotion of this approach since I first heard of it in 2008... I think this is because of 2 things really..

1. It's difficult to get the absolute novice to jump in at this point in blender..

2. You need interesting, good quality meshes to get the best out of it..

When I took up cnc in 2006 I was surprised how few cnc users had 3D modelling background / skills / resources. That's the main reason I haven't really promoted this approach in other apps either.. until now....

It is useful the way blender automates the renders and compositing... but I also thought that it useful to make people aware that they can perform this type of 'composite render' without the need to use 3D software... I think people would be more inclined to try it if they know this.

All the best

Danny

Well folks, I have plenty of CAD knowledge and have recently started using Blender just for the express purpose of dressing up photographs into 2.5D stl files. And coming from the CAD side this is a very different interface and work flow altogether. Now having said that I researched the Bas-relief patch that was written for an older version of Blender and after posting on the BlenderArtists forum I was told that no this older patch will not work with the newer 2.62 version.
    I was then pointed to blog site where the original patch poster stated that they would like to redo the patch for 2.62 but they need help to get the job done. I know very little of the whole of Blender and it's patch structure and all, so if anyone out there is a Blender fanatic please for the common good go over to the BlenderArtists.org site and look up my post under DeadTom and there you will find the link to the original patch poster who will welcome your help in reconstructing this patch.
    Now back to square one.....again.
    Tom

Going to build the old version myself...

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    .....if anyone out there is a Blender fanatic please for the common good go over to the BlenderArtists.org site and look up my post under DeadTom and there you will find the link to the original patch poster who will welcome your help in reconstructing this patch.
    Now back to square one.....again.
    Tom

Hi Tom...

I've found some related info to this...

there a blender build zip.. i.e the source (I think) to build blender 2.49 with the bas-relief patch embedded at the link below.

Index of /~novak/dwnflz/relief

There's a blender 2.5 compatible version of the patch here...

Issue 5032046: basrelief update for 2.5x r40258 - Code Review

I've never 'built' blender myself... and have had a dislike of it in the past.. but I'll make one of the above versions work.. other people have obviously done it... it is worth the effort I think... see the link below...

Contemporary Gods / Sou?asní bohové

you have to respect this.. and do whatever it takes to make it work... even if that's not just a case of plugging it in to the latest version.... run 2 versions if you have to.... no matter how much I don't really like blender as an application... if it can do this then I WILL make it work...

hope this helps

Danny

Thanks for the links Danny, I will take this knowledge back over to the Blender Artists forum and ask if this newer patch will work with ver 2.62.
    Tom

We will get this....

Hi Tom...

Thanks for following this up at blender artists....

I don't know the first thing about building blender really.. so you may get some info that will be helpful to getting a working fix for 2.6X or at least a working version in 2.49 /2.5

lklkakdhfk0166

3D relief isn't usually as easy... but this particular method exploits the rendering of a depthmap based on existing meshes.. just sort of flattens the scene in the render.. so if you have access to 3D content.. you can get really good result...

but...

it also looks lke this method will process manually shaded bitmaps too..

obviously there is some interest / benefit in getting this up and running

hope this helps

Danny

Got it going for FREE in Linux blender 2.48

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    Thanks for the links Danny, I will take this knowledge back over to the Blender Artists forum and ask if this newer patch will work with ver 2.62.
    Tom
    Hi Tom....

just thought you might like to know that I've got this up and ready to run in Linux blender 2.48... that's what's in the 'build' package from Pildanovak the author..

will take a look at getting a windows version going... but..I'm a bit pushed fo time at the moment.. so don't really know when that would be....

Don't know if you saw my post over at blender artists.. thought I'd try and support your request etc.... had nothing back myself... a bt surprised by that as if it was the 3dsmax community.. we'd at least have had the courtesy of a response....

Other thing I found was at a russian cnc forum... where the same chap has posted his ad's...they have questioned him about it.. and told him he shouldn' be asking funds for it.... so he explained to them how to do the blender build on windows blender 2.49.. It's a struggle to follow as the translation is a bit adrift in places.... anyway... he told them he got it working in 2.62... but that it didn't work very well...

just thought you might be interested.... maybe some of it may help...

I'm planning on packging up the version I got running under Linux.. i.e. the original build by the author... there were quite a few missing dependancies to track down.. but it IS there and it does look like it works.... might be worth a look when I've got it sorted out...

TTFN

Danny

Thanks for all your hard work Danny, I would love to assist you in the Windows conversion, just like you I have too many irons in the fire and not enough time to get to them all. Let me know what I can do to maybe lend a hand to the cause.

Page 1 of 2 12