587,515 active members*
2,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Anyone bitten by the cnc bug in Ohio? Local chapter starting!
Page 2 of 7 1234

Hybrid View

I'm am an Ohio trasnplant stuck in Winfield West Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by marksnwv View Post
    I'm am an Ohio trasnplant stuck in Winfield West Virginia.
    Mark,
    My shop is in kenova

archie =) =) =)

Action!

I'm happy to report that I am in the process of a build in Columbus Oh. We have also posted a community call on a yahoo group. Email me @ [email protected] if you would potentially like to get together in Columbus and talk shop.

Maybe we should just do it as a bi-monthly thing and put it in central Ohio ?

Tyler Morrow County...north of Cbus 45 miles
    Mistakes are nothing more than life's lessons, therefore I can honestly say I do not make any mistakes....... But I sure do learn a lot.
    "Building empires....leaving legacies"-Epik Creations (future business) http://groups.msn.com/EpikCreations/welcomepage.msnw

I live in Berlin Center. E.of Akron W. of Youngstown. Would love to get something going here.
    Let's all put something together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cole
    I live in Berlin Center. E.of Akron W. of Youngstown. Would love to get something going here.
    Let's all put something together.

From Poland here (parents live on Duck Creek Road though). I have a shop in North Jackson.

Welcome

big97redtj
    :wave:

I live 1/4 mile west of Duck Creek Rd. on RT 224.Where is your shop in NJ. Do you have any CNC projects in the works yet?
    Bob

No projects in the works yet. Just looking around for now. I'm thinking about making a plasma table, so I'm working on gathering up the pieces and getting some drawings done. I've had a plasma cam in the past and it's a piece of crap.

I'm across from the shooting range off of Mahoning.

Tuscarawas County. About 30 mins strait south of Canton.

University Heights, cuyahoga county. I'm new to milling. researching how to convert hf44991 minimill to cnc.

I live in columbus, OH, I think a meeting would be cool, but not likely everyone would travel long distances... Not really sure what we would do anyway eheh.

Good to see i'm not the only cnc person in ohio though.

Ross

Great to see so many ohioans take an interest in CNC. I became obsessed after a few minutes on this forum.

Begginner with Taig CNC Mill looking for group/mentor

Count me in!
    Darren Burgess
    Franklin/Delaware County

I would be interested.
    Jack Horton
    Columbus, Ohio

Hey Jack, finally someone else from Columbus.

I may be mistaken but I think we are the only 2 from CBus, few people close by in dayton, but mostly spread out.

What kind of machine do you have? (or building)

Ross

We're in Akron. I just found this sight about a week or two ago.

Hello Klick0 & Jack55,
    I posted from Franklin/Deleware county. I live in Powell, Ohio, a few minutes north of Columbus. I'm a newbie, but have great ambition I'm curious if either of you would like to get together, or if I could observe some of your next project?

Well guys,
    I'm getting ready to kick off my build of a router for dueing wood and SignFome® signs. I own a small sign company, and have been carving and sand blasting signs for years. Now I'm ready to launch into a new phase of my career. I just scored a super buy on slightly used 2" extruded aluminum shapes {same thing as 80/20 aluminum}. I will be picking up about 200 linear feet of this stuff plus all the brackets & screws all that for under $400.00. I hope to be able to put together a 8'x4' router with some left over. I will be using many of the ideas presented on this board. I could really use help in understanding the electrical part of this project. I am looking at stepper motors, and servo motors. I do not understand how to look at the labels on some of the used motors and figure out if they will be able to handle my torque loads. I want to buy motors that will deliver at least 600-800 oz.in. of torque. How does that equate into lb.in s? or Nm? Also anyone want to suggest which is the EASIEST controler system? I have read a little about the "Gecko" system, but still am very open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Bob

Matthew, yea I know where powell is of course. I live over in gahanna, basically right near easton. What kind of projects do you work on? Course i don't know if you have a cnc machine, but you don't neccessarily need one to have projects though

I'm curious as to what types of machines other people have, what they do with them, so i'm just gonna describe my machine and what I do...

I actually built mine at first to cut out airfoils with precision, among other things I had in mind. I just have a small hobbycnc.com type system, granted i've changed it from the original plans drastically. I rebuilt the Z axis and used THK linear slides instead of the hobbycnc "slide a piece of plexiglass between some groves" approach. I changed it to accept a large router, have a 3HP or something, makita i think, standard router you by at lowes. Also rebuilt the gantry to allow for a full 12 inches (plus a tiny more) of movement so I could cut the full size of the table. And the gantry also has a little more room, allows 2" thick material to pass under it. Mainly used for when I cut foam stuff.

I drive it with servo motors (most recent upgrade) and gecko drivers. I love the servo's, much faster, great for working with foam. Also switched over to EMC, the linux CNC software/OS. I used to run it all on a custom piece of software I wrote, which did all machine control, etc, but got to be a pain to maintain, especially when a free one out there already exists and is better.

My main project is an insanely oversized RC airplane. 18 foot wingspan, i'm not entirely sure if i'll ever fly it, but it's fun to build Really I don't know if it'll fly, I think i may test it as a glider first, throw it off a cliff, and if it doesn't fly then oh well ehhe.

I use it to cut all sorts of parts though, for various projects. Generally it's just an overpriced toy though.

So what's everybody else do with their machine?

Ross

Klick0,
    Very glad to hear to meet you. I'd say we are only about 1/2 an hour away from each other. Not very far at all. Having read your post, I don't mind admitting that I'm new at this; definitely not up to your level. It sounds like you have a very nice rig. As for me, I have many, many things that I want to make with my mill. Everything from prototype work, to upgrading parts, etc., etc.

My mill is a Taig CNC mill that I just recently got into working order. I put the steppers and some grease fittings on, built a UPS box and power supply and wired the steppers and driver board, and just purchased Mach2&3, as well as Autocad 2006. I'm definitely more mechanically inclined, than I am with the software. Right now, I'm struggling trying to learn the software so that I can start making lots of little chips out of one bigger one. As far as the software goes, I thought I had a way in which to convert scans, raster images, Autocad drawings, into gcode. For some reason I thought that either Mach2 or Autocad would perform this function, but if they do, I can't seem to figure out how to make them perform.

I would like to install some limit/home switches I have, but that can wait. I'd also like to upgrade the spindle motor to a greater hp, variable speed unit. I've got a nice 2.5hp dc motor, but I can't afford to purchase one of those expensive drive units I've seen on Ebay. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make my own power supply. That way, I can start purchasing a good selection of end mills, etc. By the way, I welcome your advice on any of the above.

Your project sounds very cool!! I've always wanted to build my own R/C helicopter, and I'd say one of my ultimate goals would be to build a scale working gas turbine.

I'd enjoy helping you with any project you have as I'm sure I could learn a lot from a much more experienced hobbiest. Likewise, if you would like to come over to my shop and check out the rig, feel free. I'd also welcome any advice you may have for me.
    Thanks
    Matthew

Page 2 of 7 1234