587,098 active members*
6,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to convert 3D model to G-code?

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm about to receive my first CNC mill , Taig 2018.
    I'm learning softwares like TurboCNC, Solidworks etc. until I'll get the mill
    I have created a 3D model in Solidworks . How can I convert this 3d file to G-code ?

Thanks,
    Asi

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If there is surface machining i recommend programs such as mastercam(first) teksoft procam (second) at very last resort Bobcad, this depending what your budget is of course.
    if it contains no complex surfaces, convert the sldprt to 2d views. import into any cam software or program by hand.

Addition to above post, once slddrw is made save as a dwg or dxf to import into any CAM software. VisualMill will give decent code as well
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

In BobCad you can cut the model in several ways. You can get a demo on the internet and they will show you how to accomplish this. You can use Booleans to create a cavity from the model. You can cut the model as is to create an electrode for EDM. You can take a model and extract edges so you can create a profile for 2D cuts. You can also draw in solids by using primitives and surface creation from 2D contours. You can judge for yourself the power of this Cad-Cam system when you see the demo.

Bobcad has a hard time cutting 3d models acurately. they offset the tool path rather than calculate it. Mostly any other program will do a better job than bobcad.

Meshcam for one probably does a good job, but I have not used it.

Jon

JFettig, what do you mean by accurate? Have you personally had an opportunity to measure a surface cut by a BobCad tool path and compared the same surface generated by another Cam system? BobCad seems to be just as accurate as any other competitive system. Machining practices need to be considered when determining the integrity of a surface.

Thank you all for the good advises.

Now that I know I can create a 3d model , and convert it to G-code by software , I need to choose the right software .

Do those softwares actually replace Turbocnc, mach2 etc?
    I want to have one software where I can create parts 2D and 3D and convert everything easiely to my machine.

Asi

Peten, TurboCnc and Mach 2 are control software used to control servo motors on a machine tool. BobCad has free post processors for these controls. BobCad will produce G code that these controls will read and interpret into motion for your machine. TurboCnc and Mach 2 are used world-wide for Mills, Lathes, Routers, Waterjets, Lasers, and Plasma cutters. The BobCad-Cam software will help you create G code for any of these configurations.

You get what you pay for

You get what you pay for: this statement is true also in cam software, post processers are free in all the cam systems i have had experience with. Bobcad (I actually own a personal copy) i found to be good for the guy on the floor who needs to make a simple update to and existing program, though if you are looking at production, eliminating operator edits, uniform g-code generation, direct importing of solid files of all popular cad files such as autocad, solidworks, iges, dwg, ect, ect... i've found mastercam and procam
    the best. with uncomparable customer support. but price for these cam softwares begin at about $4000.00 and go up depending on the modules you want. the question is what do you want to do? production, protype, hobby.

I'm not a salesman, I'm an ops Manager for a job shop, and the advice comes from experience in manufacturing. time is money, flawless g-code generation and easy importing of customer prints has scaled back programming time to as little as 15min in some cases even with complex surfing.

Mastercam and Procam are intergrated with tool databases built in access that enable them to know that exact tool parameters for optimal performance, and changing a type of tool used, you just pick it out of the database and regen the program. you also can save operations and import them directly into new jobs that are simular. you get what you pay for is all what it comes down to.

Peten,
    Machining a 3d model is a little more interactive than "converting it to gcode", otherwise we'd all be using these "converters"

Depending on your budget (which looks healthy if you have a copy of Solidworks), I'd recommend that you demo test various flavours of OneCNC. I don't know where you can get a better value for your buck in a program that won't take aeons to master the cam
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

MeshCAM is $100. Download the demo and try it. I've got a feeling it will work for you, for a lot less money then everything else mentioned. Imo, if MeshCAM won't do what you want, you'll need to spend at least $1500 for something that will.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

In the last hour , I was on-line with Daniel (Dan the Tech).
    He showed me what Bobcad was all about , and I was impressed .
    Thanks Daniel :cheers: .

But It seems that I'm looking for a more simple and less expensive software.
    Gee, my CNC machine only cost $1500 , so I don't attend to spent the same amount on software right now . BTW,I'll use this machine for my hobby.

ger21,

I will check out your program, and let you know .

Asi

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Tech
    JFettig, what do you mean by accurate? Have you personally had an opportunity to measure a surface cut by a BobCad tool path and compared the same surface generated by another Cam system? BobCad seems to be just as accurate as any other competitive system. Machining practices need to be considered when determining the integrity of a surface.
    I wish I had kept the peice I made using it, it was terribly off, like 1/8" off.. For some reason, it could not figure out how to create the tool path correctly, it would program the machine to jump up and move all over, tons of unnecessary moves. All it was was some simple arced surfaces, I programmed it up with gibbs in a third of the time with 20x better everything.
    I also made another part using bobcad, It took many many hours to program this part with it, a simple one. big pocket with bosses but it just couldnt determine how to do it right.

That surface that I was saying that was way off, basicly it had 2 3d arcs meeting and the ends were pointy
    Where the 3 lines meet, and on the other side, bobcad just could not figure out how to decifer, it left a flat top and jumped up and around it constantly.
    The selected surface was by no means true, even with a small step over, it just drew the tool path from the end and offset it from there. Overall I am extremely dissappointed in bobcad.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobcrap error copy.jpg  

Can you attach this file? Sometimes you have to check the surface normals. Sometimes there are gaps in surfaces. The Tech support department at BobCad can help you.

That part is done and gone, so is bobcad.

Jon

Onecnc has the most bang for the buck and very easy to learn.