587,427 active members*
4,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > SMM2 - Value in today's market
Page 1 of 2 12

SMM2 - Value in today's market

I haven't posted here in a while. As some of you may remember I bought a Haas SMM2 in the fall of 2009 for my home shop. Times have changed for me and I've just gotten too busy to do much with it and so I'm going to be selling it. I called Champion Machine Tool here in Houston to talk to the dealer I bought it from. I purchased it new from the factory. He said that used machines are selling at a premium right now but was going to check my invoice to see what he thought I might ask for it. Any thoughts or opinions?

It has:
    WIPS-R
    AUGER
    HFP-SMM
    PCOOL
    16MB

For reference, please see some of my earlier posts here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m..._congrats.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...home_shop.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m..._off_haas.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m..._off_haas.html

Let's see. About 3 years old. Low hours. In Houston. I would be surprised if you could get more than about $15k for it. I would only offer $6k. But I am cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Let's see. About 3 years old. Low hours. In Houston. I would be surprised if you could get more than about $15k for it. I would only offer $6k. But I am cheap.
    That seems awful low, price wise. I was just checking ebay and they are still asking $20-25K for mid to late 90's VF-1's. I would certainly hope that a 3 year old, low hour machine would be a little more than $15K. Or are we trying to be funny?(wedge)

:cheers:
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    That seems awful low, price wise. I was just checking ebay and they are still asking $20-25K for mid to late 90's VF-1's. I would certainly hope that a 3 year old, low hour machine would be a little more than $15K. Or are we trying to be funny?(wedge)

:cheers:
    Mike
    I did not check Ebay ads. When you checked them, did you check specific to Houston and the surrounding area? Asking for $20-25k does not mean getting $20-25k. He could ask $50k and might just find someone that would give it. I said I would be surprised if he could get more than about $15k for it. About $15k means $15k, $16k, maybe even $17k. Does not mean he should not ask more. Does not mean he could not get more.

I recently gave $600.00 for a 2003 Fadal TRM. Took about another $2,000.00 in parts and repairs to get it running. If I can find deals like that, why would I give $20k for machine of similar size/capacity?

Yep, definitely a low time machine compared to most I believe. A few pics attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haas 7.jpg   Haas 6.jpg   Haas 3.jpg   Haas 1.jpg  

Haas 4.jpg   Haas 10.jpg  

Haas Super Mini Mill 2
    $45,800 delivered.

That was about three years ago. An offer of $6,000 does not even warrant the description cheap.

If I had space for it I would buy it for half the original cost. Unfortunately I don't have space, I even have two machines in storage for lack of space to use them.

Why not keep it and wait for your life to slow down? It does at a certain age you know.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Haas Super Mini Mill 2
    $45,800 delivered.

That was about three years ago. An offer of $6,000 does not even warrant the description cheap.
    +1 I'm hoping that was meant as a joke.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

The $48K price when I bought it was a 30% discount off the retail price from Haas. According to the sales guy these aren't available from Haas right now because they have a backlog of orders.

And yes, I'm sure things will slow down at some point. I just don't like to have anything mechanical sit without being used. I go out there each month and run it for a little while as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    The $48K price when I bought it was a 30% discount off the retail price from Haas. According to the sales guy these aren't available from Haas right now because they have a backlog of orders.

30 percent discount from Haas? Plus, Haas hasn't gone down in price lately, and that machine can be had for about 50k today. And No, I don't believe everything the salesguy tells me. What I've heard is you can get most Haas' within 4 weeks right now.

That being said, people pay way too much for used Haas' so you should get some decent return.
    Tim

..."people pay way too much for used Haas".

Agreed!!! It's just obsurd how painfully slow a Haas looses value. I have been looking at expanding and another used haas is just not worth it. $40k for a 2007 supper mini mill? Please, I could get a 2004 akira seiki v4a-xp for the same price and I get a machine that do more than just vise work.

As for your smm2, I'd be all over it if it had a side mount....

I could be interested in it, let me know if you get a price figured out.

I was going to list it on eBay but if anyone here has an interest by all means PM me. Happy to answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
    ..."people pay way too much for used Haas".

Agreed!!! It's just obsurd how painfully slow a Haas looses value. I have been looking at expanding and another used haas is just not worth it. $40k for a 2007 supper mini mill? Please, I could get a 2004 akira seiki v4a-xp for the same price and I get a machine that do more than just vise work.

As for your smm2, I'd be all over it if it had a side mount....

I am also amazed by how much Haas sells for in the used market, but I guess this is where Haas's economy of scale come into play. Akira Seiki may make great machines, but if you don't have one to begin with, you won't know how good it is and with used machines you start to worry about parts availability and replacement costs. Neither of which is a problem for Haas, but may be a problem for other smaller brands.

well let me know when u post it. now soes this have the tapping option? not for for on the features of one of these

i guess this is the machine listed on machine tool.com

The machine was on eBay briefly, but appears gone now.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I listed it on eBay and got what I thought was a decent offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    I listed it on eBay and got what I thought was a decent offer.
    Which was.....?
    Tim

$35k

Page 1 of 2 12