588,138 active members*
5,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow678 View Post
    Without the Y-axis is it safe to assume I cannot cutout the shape even if I had a face mill holder?...
    Quite the contrary, with face millling and G12.1 you can 100% mill that shape, provided it's not longer than the endmill.
    Here is an example of milling interpolation...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epI1M5CDIEQ"]video[/ame]
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

Ok now I really feel uneducated, lol!!! Where in the world would I begin to write the G12.1? I have seen at tooling shows such as the IMTS and the PMTS that some of the machines out there have programs that help with such milling operations. I have to hand write everything for my machines. If I could ever get a basic program written I could take it from there. I just have no clue where to begin. Where can I get my hands on such a program? 99.99% of my programs I can write on the fly with out a hitch but with something like this I am setback. I have discussed with my superiors the need for further education and hopefully 2012 I will get some. You have been a big help so far and any further information you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tsnow678 View Post
    ...Where in the world would I begin to write the G12.1? ...
    That's the beauty of G12.1 you just program the shape in X and Y as if it were on a mill.
    The machine figures out how to move X and C to get the shape to come out correctlty..
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.