587,531 active members*
3,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > will Cent 5 simulator run on WIN 7?

will Cent 5 simulator run on WIN 7?

If I upgrade my shops computer to windows 7 , will the cent 5 simulator still run ?
    This refers to the mill program as well as the lathe program .
    I made the transition from 95 to XP ok , but someone told me I will need to get a special version of 7 that is 32 bit instead of 64 .
    Not really sure what this means .
    Has anyone here made the move to 7 on their simulator ?
    Thanks
    Bob

http://www.dosbox.com/

It will if you install Dosbox, DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS but forget about networking with the machines from the win 7 box

I think I can actually answer this one... no, it will not run on windows 7 64 bit. I am running that (Windows 7, 64 bit) on my iMac under parallels and using that to run a lot of my CAD and CAM software.... so far everything but the Milltronics simulator will function, it pops up with "check software supplier for a 64 bit compatible version" error.

I don't know enough about Windows any more (went to the darkside of Mac's maybe 8 years ago, and never looked back) to know whether I could reset this version of Windows to run under 32 bit instead of 64.... maybe, but that takes a more geeky guy than me to know for sure.

I have an old laptop with Windows XP sp3 that I use the simulator on without any issues.

http://www.dosbox.com/

It will run under dosbox, you will not be able to see your dos client network if you were using the sim software to tranfer files or dnc over the net.I have run bouh the lathe and the mill sim under Vista and Win7 32 and Win7 64. Its very easy to install trouble free and its free! After installing run and type intro for a tutorial.

Brian, check out the wiki you may be able to use it to run on your mac,DOSBoxWiki and Mac OSX Advanced - DOSBoxWiki

I found dosbox a free solution to the win compatability problems over the years.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rl49 View Post
    It will if you install Dosbox, DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS but forget about networking with the machines from the win 7 box
    The only way I could get our Windows 7 64 bit to work on our machine network was to use the guest permissions. No security, but if it’s a closed network it does work. Windows 7 is locked down pretty good and doesn't like anything DOS related including the older CNC controllers.

Moldcore,
    You have been able to map a drive on your centurion control to a win 7 box?

I use my win 7 box in my house as a server for a xp box running netbeui in the shop.
    My cent 5 controll will map to the xp box in the shop but cant see the win 7 box. Any programing I do on the win 7 machine I save to the xp box in the shop to the mapped drive the cent 5 controller is seeing.

If you have made this work would you post details?

Thanks, Ron

Many earlier programs refuse to run in Win7 because DEP kicks them out without even a message apology or solution. Buy a new one type stuff.
    DEP is Data Execution Prevention.

When a program won't run and Win7 just says incompatible program this often fixes the problem.

It is MY computer and I will do what I like with IT!!!
    Damned hidden stuff.

DEP can be disabled readily by adding the program to a list.

Start, Computer,
    Right click properties
    Advanced system settings
    Settings (performance)
    Third tab Data Execution Prevention
    Add the program to the list.

Many win98/XP PIC utilities will perfectly run once entered here.
    Interestingly, ACAD.exe adds itself to the DEP list.

And DOSBOX is the best, running VESA mode video stuff from 20 years ago at stunning speeds.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.