587,833 active members*
3,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > Smoothieboard, new opensource, ARM 32 bits ( Cortex-M3 ) CNC controller board

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    I just started ordering parts for a co2 laser I will build. Your price is very attractive and I was wondering would the ability to do laser engraving be on list of things that might be added? If not I would still be interested in it for laser cutting. tks
    It is on the list. Loxgen in the IRC channel is working on that, and also the LAOS*project ( using the same chip but not the same firmware ) is working on it and has results.

There is also going to be a kit for modding those laser cutters : USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER/NEW e1 | eBay using smoothieboard, will allow for sub-$1000 lasercutters ( shipping including ) with openhardware electronics.

Originally Posted by cnc_4_me View Post

“Here are a few additional things i would like to see on your Todo list.
    lead screw error mapping/compensation.”

Originally Posted by cnc_4_me arthurwolf

“I'm quite familiar with belt driven stuff ( lasercutter, 3D printer ) but less with screw driven. Would you have a link about that particular feature ?”

Here is a link from an EMC linux thread talking about leadscrew compensation.

Re: [Emc-users] lead screw compensation

Leadscrew compensation is a process of having the ability to enter in to the controller the accuracy of the leadscrew in a form of error per distance, such as +.002“ at 3“ or -.001 at 6“ from its end. When you buy a quality leadscrew you are supposed to get a chart with the leadscrew errors listed. Another way to get this information commercially is hire someone with an laser interferometer to map out your axis on your finished machine and have all errors taken in account. Or use the low dollar method of a dial indicator and 123 blocks.

2 extruder heads wood be great.
    a touch screen 3 or 4 inch to control the machine wood be great to.