587,753 active members*
3,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > A question about learning solidworks

A question about learning solidworks

hello guys i'm new here and i was wondering how difficult it is to learn solidworks.I'm not a rocket scientist im a bodyman that likes to make parts and i would like to get into this if it is within my realm of learning any input would be helpful.

tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by barndog View Post
    hello guys i'm new here and i was wondering how difficult it is to learn solidworks.I'm not a rocket scientist im a bodyman that likes to make parts and i would like to get into this if it is within my realm of learning any input would be helpful.
    there are books with tutorials for learning Solidworks along with Solidworks bible. take the tutorials many times and after awhile you start to remember what does what. it can be difficult for the first few weeks but most can get trained enough in a month to be able to create their own parts , assemblies and drawings.
    if there are any college course in you area this can help too. many a student who is stuck can have a teacher help them in a minute where on their own they might takes many hours or days to figure it out. myself i find it easier to learn software where there are many books, colleges courses and Jobs for it. why learn something that in a few years nobody uses or remembers??

I used Lynda.com to learn Rhino. I have noticed that they now have Solidworks, too. I was very pleased with their videos. I believe I paid about 25.00 per month for the few months I remained subscribed. My wife used the subscription to learn some software she had, too.

I thought it was well worth it.

Thank you guys when you purchase solidworks does it come with training,this is all greek to me but i'm trying to further my knowledge so sorry if the questions seem lame.

It comes with tutorials that give you a great head start. You really need to learn how to use planes, as that is the key to SolidWorks. Also, SolidProfessor.com is a very good site to get tips/tricks and help.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

barndog,

typically purchasing a seat of SolidWorks does not come with formal training. But like mcphill said you have tutorials.

Also in the past I have negotiated with my reseller for a day or two of training to be included or really discounted. Never hurts to try.

I too like Lynda.com, though I have not looked at their SolidWorks classes.

tutorials

Fun and easy to learn. I used the built in tutorials to learn beginner stuff, and used You Tube for a lot of other tutorials.