587,223 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Edgecam 2012

Edgecam 2012

Is any one using edgecam 2012? And what is your opinion on the new version. Is there anything new that makes it worth while to up grade. Is there any bugs that make your computer crash or dose it work flawlessly? Did they make any big changes to simplify cycles? Is there any new commands with freeware ?

We use 2012 R1 and see a big difference with the addition of waveform roughíng. We expect this feature to be alot better in future releases but already it is the favorite method here now.
    We have on bug but do not know if this is just for our computer.
    If we set simulation speed to high the whole computer goes zoombie until we tur the power off.

I think 2012 is one of their best releases in a long time. For some reason it seems more stable than any other release.

As Tummen stated the waveroughing is great. Full flutelength cuts with small stepover and watch the chips fly. I have had one error in the code generated where the tool wanted to return through the stock instead of around it. This happened in a single move in the middle of a cycle and not every move. It showed up perfectly in the simulator but I did not check until after the fact. A slight change to stepover seemed to fix the problem. I have notified Planit about the problem.

Also the 3d slotting is a great improvement.

I haven't been able to get the javascript PCI's to work yet. Any help anyone?
    When you come to a fork in the road take it

Will the waveform cycle work on cutting steel or is it ment for soft materials like brass and aluminum?

Its super for steel [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzT-a2sU1Ww]Edgecam Waveform Roughing.mp4 - YouTube[/ame] but we have learned that it is a good idé to invest in "solid hard metal"(dont know the english word for this) tools that have a stable conical core for absolute best cutting. instead of slowing down i corners it takes a thinner cut to reduce cutting forces. and no more Ae 100% when opening pockets.
    Is is still not 100% ready though. it lacks abillity to use predrilled holes for engaging. and in future releases we hope for a mix mode with conventional and climbcut. According to alfatool there is no extra wear because of this, just less air transport time.

Quote Originally Posted by CAD122333 View Post
    Will the waveform cycle work on cutting steel or is it ment for soft materials like brass and aluminum?
    In my experience, the harder the material the better this style of cutting works
    When you come to a fork in the road take it

Red face need help for edgecam 5 axis programming

hi

i have recently joined new company they using edgecam software on dmu 60 5 axis machine.
    before i have been use nx6 software so now i am geting trouble to make programming on edgecam software and also it very hard to get help from internet also

please anybody can help me out for edgecam 5 axis programming or can help to get tutorial for this.

i can pay whatever u what

Is there any improvements in the freeware programs? In the earlier versions of edgecam ,some of the freeware programs made all the differance in making a big chore into somthing simple and easy.

Edgecam freeware for the 2012 R1 version is available for download from the Customer Support Portal.

Planit Global Customer Support Portal - Secure Customer Login

I agree with everyone about the waveform roughing... it works perfectly. I have used surfcams true mill a little.. and I cant see any difference. But it takes a long long time to generate large parts using small step overs... as well as using it for rest roughing

-I dont like the new selection arrows.. seems like its harder to get the arow to move where I want it. And sometimes a regenerate will move the arrows automaticly (usually to the inside of the part!!)
    -re-digitizing geometry has gotten down right dangerous. If you dont de-select the geometry you had defined it still uses it. I have got bit on this a few times.
    -deleting cycles has been a problem as well. after i delete a copied cycle and hit save it crashes egdecam
    -for some reason.. i cant send from the nc editor anymore. Im not sure where to even aproach this one. (help!!)
    many of my bugs may be due to my older OS (xp-pro)
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Quote Originally Posted by jsanders View Post
    Edgecam freeware for the 2012 R1 version is available for download from the Customer Support Portal.

Planit Global Customer Support Portal - Secure Customer Login
    The customer portal is no longer an option for 2012 r1 because the license has expired and no one downloaded the freeware package and are now searching for a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by CAD122333 View Post
    The customer portal is no longer an option for 2012 r1 because the license has expired and no one downloaded the freeware package and are now searching for a copy.
    Ditto! :cheers:

EdgeCAM 2012 r2 PCI-Java Scripts

Has anyone had any success running EdgeCAM PCI-Java Scripts in Windows 7? They worked fine in EdgeCAM 2012 r2 on XP. After upgrading to new PC with Windows 7 I can't get them to run.

Try this.. in Win7. Works for lots of other stuff that wouldn't run too.
    You can try disabling Date Execution Prevention. (DEP), selectively.
    Here's how. (as a matter of interest, ACAD put itself in the table, and some other programs smart enough to did it too). Other than that, I was the smart one.

1. When installing make sure you run as administrator. - after figuring out how to reliably.
    2. Start, Computer, right click, properties.
    3. Select Advanced system settings.
    4. Advanced tab, Performance, Settings
    5. Data Execution Prevention
    6. Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:
    7. Add all of the excutables to the list.
    8. Click apply.

See if the program works.
    Some bits do and some don't? You've missed some of the excutables used. May be in other folders.
    Best to search the program folder for all *.exe and at least know how many there are.
    This also often works for programs that won't install. Put the install program in the list.
    BEWARE that you are disabling protection that helps to avoid viruses that try to hide code.
    Nearly all my old Win98 stuff runs and lots of old programs I wrote decades ago.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by helix77 View Post
    -re-digitizing geometry has gotten down right dangerous. If you dont de-select the geometry you had defined it still uses it. I have got bit on this a few times.
    Is there a setting somewhere to turn this off? I can't seem to find one.

no NFP... you just have to press the red x in the upper right part of the screen, and you had better get used to it, because EC will end up doing this with all cycles (from what I hear)
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Can Be An Oversite

I agree with all of you on this,
    can get a bit scary at times when re generating the sequence and thinking What the **** !!! all because of a x mark after re editing the sequence, i use stock up date now after each tool,so i just re simulate (in simulator) the tool i have edited and make sure i do a full simulation before squirting it to the machine, i have got into the habbit now, but it can get tedious at times but is effective nether the less,
    I like using this option now and find it at times good to keep me in check,but it took me a while in getting use to it, (im a simpleton)
    Hope this helps.

ALSO NEED EDGECAM HELP

Running R12 and when programming large complex file EdgeCam crashes. Are there any EdgeCam users in Phoenix area that would like to talk EdgeCam by phone. We have been users since 1989.