Quote Originally Posted by anoel View Post
Guitar building with CNC (Efficient building that is...) should not be done as a true 3D Machining of a solid model... The efficient way to build say a "Strat" body is to start with a dimensioned blank of the right thickness. Rig up a way to index the blank for top and bottom operations... Use a pocketing routine to route the Neck pocket, pickup routes, control cavity, jack cavity and tremolo hole. Use a drill routine to either drill or spot bridge posts or screw locations and Neck mounting holes, Then follow that with a Contouring operation to route the profile of the body to an acceptable depth or all of the way out if your indexing is within the confines of the body itself. Then follow that with a 3D routine that machines the forearm contour ONLY based on a surface... Flip over then another 2.5D pocket for the Temolo Spring cavity and maybe completing the tremolo through hole... Then another 3D pass to machine the belly bevel again based from surface geometry.
I understand how doing 2.5d and 3d ops seperately are better, but I was wondering what software people are using to do this. The software I have used (hobby level) either is 3d only or 2d only.