Hi Mic,
    They were 16mm ballscrews out of China.
    cheers,
    Rod
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hey Rod;
    How did you mount your VFD inside the cabinet? I have a XYZ Tech 1212 that I'm retrofitting with a 2.2 KW spindle and it did not come with the remote panel which my machine was originally design with using a 1.5 KW spindle. I'm going to cut a hole in the side panel for the vfd to stick through but it is just sheet metal and would be a lousy mount. I'm thinking of adding a angle iron shelf on the inside of the sheet metal for mounting. Is this what you guys did. Oh yeah, very nice machine. I'm sure it is much better built than the china manufactured equivalent.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

5 or 10mm pitch ?

Hi Bill,
    The VFD is mounted on the door on the right hand side. The doors are 4mm checker plate and behind the left hand side door is the computer.
    A hole was cut in the door and a folded up galvo box was mounted to the door. The VFD mounts inside the galvo box and pokes through the door.
    Hope I explained it good enough.

I have also mounted the VFD through the face of a panel and used standoffs then a plate to mount the VFD.

The machine has proved to be reliable and strong. The room is sound proofed and lined so it can be operated later into the night.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Mike,
    Sorry should have said 5mm - they are 1605 ballscrews.
    They have almost 2 to 1 ratio pulleys from the motor to the ballscrew. Hopefully you will be able to pick that up in the photos. The advantage of that is you limit harmonics on such a long screw so the motors do not stall. It still keeps it at quite a good resloution.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Thanks for the info Rod! I also use a 1605 ball screw and I do have a problem with the speed. It is less than 150 IPM before losing steps. I'm thinking with 3 amp motors and direct drive I should be getting more. I wonder if my problem could be harmonics? Do you have any experience in this type of issue? All my work to this point has been with servos.
    PS
    I hope you don't think I'm trying to hijack your thread. That is not my intention and I apologize if I am!!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hi Bill,
    If you had had servos then you would expect better performance. You probably have got the maximim from the steppers but if you want to check out if it is harmonics try fitting dampeners to the steppers. They have to be dual shaft steppers to do this and just search the zone for dampener designs.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Page 2 of 2 12