587,625 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

your place? yes please!

Hello All,

Just saying hello. I'm in the final stages of negotiation of a new job in Sydney. I'm looking to be there around july 1st and I'm ecstatic! I've wanted to move there since.. oh 2005.

I built domo my somewhat large mill a bit ago and i've been hooked since. Unfortunately, it would cost a small fortune to ship domo, so I'll be storing him. Yet there's hope! I plan on building a smaller version after settling in and I'd like to know if there are any local places (to sydney) to buy parts or will I be ordering from china or america?

Blog: domo cnc: Domo meets the world

Test Cuts: domo cnc: Test cuts!

You can buy from china

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Laser View Post
    You can buy from china
    Ah, ok. Was hoping to join a local community and also buy locally.

There are local suppliers of some parts but for things like ballscrews or linear rails, you'll be better off getting them from eBay (linearmotionbearings2008 is a favourite)

Two local supplier websites that I know of are:

Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier
    AusXmods

Enjoy Sydney, I just moved from there after 40 years.
    Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    There are local suppliers of some parts but for things like ballscrews or linear rails, you'll be better off getting them from eBay (linearmotionbearings2008 is a favourite)

Two local supplier websites that I know of are:

Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier
    AusXmods

Enjoy Sydney, I just moved from there after 40 years.
    Awesome. thanks so much.

I'm going to bring some parts from my current machine and build around it. I just hope to get the steppers through customs.

There seems to be a lot of Glock Pistols and god knows what else geting past customs so a couple of steppers should be no problem
    Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Cheers

sooo, Im here and so happy to be!

I decided to leave the steppers at home due to their weight. I did, however, bring my g540 and cables!

Anyone here use the 8020 extrusions? If so, are you using the american version or is there a more accessible equivalent??

Welcome to downunder!

8020 is available here from our local supplier in Sydney's west. For reference some metric pricing I got recently is:

25-5010 - .0803c / mm
    25-2525 - .0177c / mm
    25-5050 - .0425c / mm

As you go up in size you go up in price big time - a 1370mm stick of 40-4040 was quoted at around $77.00.

There are other options like Australis Engineering and Bosch Rexroth but their range is limited compared to 8020 and pricing is reasonably close to 8020 anyway.

Cheers
    Bruce

Welcome down under! You must have brought the good weather with you! a couple of weeks ago it was pouring with rain! where abouts in Sydney are you staying/working? look forward to seeing what you build. I am in the building process at the moment (it is taking some time, which I dont seem to have!) :-)
    Cheers,
    Kt.

Quote Originally Posted by racedirector View Post
    Welcome to downunder!

8020 is available here from our local supplier in Sydney's west. For reference some metric pricing I got recently is:

25-5010 - .0803c / mm
    25-2525 - .0177c / mm
    25-5050 - .0425c / mm

As you go up in size you go up in price big time - a 1370mm stick of 40-4040 was quoted at around $77.00.

There are other options like Australis Engineering and Bosch Rexroth but their range is limited compared to 8020 and pricing is reasonably close to 8020 anyway.

Cheers
    Bruce
    awesome, thanks bruce. I looked at the australis stuff. seems like it's only sold in super long lengths but that was just my initial research.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate323i View Post
    Welcome down under! You must have brought the good weather with you! a couple of weeks ago it was pouring with rain! where abouts in Sydney are you staying/working? look forward to seeing what you build. I am in the building process at the moment (it is taking some time, which I dont seem to have!) :-)
    Cheers,
    Kt.

haha, you're not the only one who has said that about the weather. In my home town it's 104f.

I work in the CBD and currently live in darlinghurst. I'm here until august and have to find somewhere else.

any suggestions? lol

Quote Originally Posted by forseral View Post
    awesome, thanks bruce. I looked at the australis stuff. seems like it's only sold in super long lengths but that was just my initial research.
    Yea, I found that with Australis, they will cut to length but you have to buy in 6 meter lengths. I am ringing Bosch Rexroth today to get some pricing from them to compare to my 8020 quote.

Cheers

Welcome mate....

Welcome to Aus mate!

Domo looks good! I reckon you should have packed some of that 8020 and brought it over here with you...!

I too caught the CNC bug a couple of years ago, now considering a second build based on 8020. I'm interested in how you and/or Bruce goes in sourcing the 8020 locally, so please let us know how you go.

Hey, there appears to be a fair bit of distance between you cutter-bit and base-plate of domo. Guessing you must use some sort of raised sacrificial bed do you?
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Quote Originally Posted by craigjh View Post
    Welcome to Aus mate!

Domo looks good! I reckon you should have packed some of that 8020 and brought it over here with you...!

I too caught the CNC bug a couple of years ago, now considering a second build based on 8020. I'm interested in how you and/or Bruce goes in sourcing the 8020 locally, so please let us know how you go.

Hey, there appears to be a fair bit of distance between you cutter-bit and base-plate of domo. Guessing you must use some sort of raised sacrificial bed do you?

Thanks so much. I'm quite happy with the design although it took a few iterations.

you're correct regarding the sacrificial bed. I added that much space to enable exploration of vacuum bed techniques and other clamping systems. too bad i decided to move here before i had a chance. lol... totally worth it tho!

it'll be a little time before I can build domomini as I need to find a place to live... yet I'll try to keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by craigjh View Post
    Welcome to Aus mate!

just had a look at your joe2006 rendition. man, that's a clean looking build. you've got some serious patience and skill with mdf.

nice

Welcome too Sydney, there's a few of us dotted around here, I'm just on the northern beaches near manly , so if ya over this way give us a yell, you might be able too give me some tips I just do hobby cnc really.
    Cheers
    Riche

Riche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by forseral View Post
    Ah, ok. Was hoping to join a local community and also buy locally.
    why don't you consider our community as one of your reference ?add my skype9david02162) and MSN([email protected])

Forseral Welcome to Sydney,If you give us Local Sydney guys an Idea regarding transport where you work and what is preferred in housing we can all chip in with ideas to point you toward the right area.
    I am on the South Side, Sutherland Shire but one of my good Work Customers is a Real estate agent who could be able to make some calls if needed to his mates in the industry to sniff out some digs for you if needed,no problems at all as it can be very hard when just in from OS trying to put accomodation together.

thanks for all the information guys