588,434 active members*
5,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. As I said before, in not looking to go out of my way to modify anything and I know these machines will always have their limitations.

The problem for me is that I'm not prepared to spend that kind of many at the moment, although I suppose I could be persuaded.

The other option open to be is to scratch build a quality machine, but if it's not really going to save money in the end, I'd prefer to just spend a little more.

Rodney - iv taken look though the manufactures sites that you have recommended and shenhui do seem to offer some interesting items, I'd just be concerned that they would be of the same build and part quality but for a higher price.

Back to topic tho, which of the bad bunch would people recommend?

Hi,

Just thought I'd say. Bought a k40 with Moshi draw, it's not perfect but it is workable. In fact as long as you do all your design work in a program like CAD, GIMP or Ink scape, it all works out pretty well.

Now, as I said these machines and software are not perfect, infant the machine is a little sub par in the quality department, the software is full of bugs and counter intuitive. But with a little practice and technical knowledge they can be very useful tools.

As to the price, £500 delivered is (at least to my mind) not just cheaper than something like an Epilogue but offers newbies/hobbyists an affordable machine for your workshop/studio.

Back to the software though. I'm running moshi 2012 on Vista and occasionally when opening, it does load up the mandarin version which then will only shutdown though task manager. But on the most part it has been quite stable, just a bit buggy and a little counter intuitive, not helped by the 'iffy' English translation. But it can when used properly, produce some cool stuff.

Hope this helps anyone looking at purchasing one of these machines.

Hi Smiffy
    I too am considering buying a £500 machine very similar to yours, with a view to swapping the electronics for a simple stepper motor control board and controlling it all using LinuxCNC via the parallel port.
    Do you think that the mechanics/laser are worth the money? Is it sufficiently accurate if you repeat the same cut on the same piece of work? Will it easily cut 5mm of acrylic or plywood?

small laser machine

Hi ,
    we would not like to suggest K40 with moshidraw, this is not a mature machine ,and if laser machine price is below USD2000,don't cosnider,if thik about small working area but can cut 5mm acrylic or plywood,we would like to suggest LG3040 with 40 or 60w tube ,
    Any others,feel free to ask me

Best Regards
    G.WEIKE LASER
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Hi Smiffy
    I too am considering buying a £500 machine very similar to yours, with a view to swapping the electronics for a simple stepper motor control board and controlling it all using LinuxCNC via the parallel port.
    Do you think that the mechanics/laser are worth the money? Is it sufficiently accurate if you repeat the same cut on the same piece of work? Will it easily cut 5mm of acrylic or plywood?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LG500 DESK.jpg   LG3040.jpg  

Interesting thread! Not that I'm not still puzzled ;-)
    I'm also looking for a small laser for engraving anodized aluminum (probably with a thermark product - definitely can't afford non-CO2 lasers) and perhaps cutting some mylar films.
    Principally I think the Chinese machines might do the job - but I'm (also) quite worried about the software. I'd hate to spend a lot of time and/or thrash a lot of material/parts because of lousy software. However, the more "serious" manufacturers seems to avoid listing prices at all cost* - making me pretty sure they are way out of my price bracket. For example Epilog has hidden a quote in their FAQ: "30 watt starts at $7,995 (US Price Only)" - pretty much confirming that I don't need to waste my/their time on looking into this - disregarding how nice and functional they might be.

Still there must be someone somewhere that has made a decent machine with decent software/interface somewhere in between the ~550USD lasers from China and the 8000USD lasers from US?!? I mean except for the laser tube it's not rocket science... So maybe an "upgraded quality" china machine with some India/EU/US-developed software? ;-)
    If anyone has found some - Please share... :-D

PS: I never understood why companies selling standard products would hide their prices? I will never again spend time talking to sales people or FAEs without having a least an initial price indication. Seems everybody think they can sell anything as long as they get to talk to a potential customer. I don't think it works with engineers - and for my and at least a few of my colleagues it works the opposite way: The lack of pricing (low or high) often automatically disqualifies them!