588,567 active members*
4,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    There are only two reasons to use the SmoothStepper.

1. You want to use a 64bit Windows OS as your controller
    2. You dont have paralell port and cant install one.
    Those two factors will become increasingly critical in the very near future, given that 4GB of memory is getting to be standard even on sub-$500 computers and parallel ports are about as common as floppy drives.

While I realize that MacGuyver-fu is very strong in the DIY CNC community, IMHO there are far better ways to spend time and mental energy than maintaining legacy hardware and OSs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Those two factors will become increasingly critical in the very near future, given that 4GB of memory is getting to be standard even on sub-$500 computers and parallel ports are about as common as floppy drives.

While I realize that MacGuyver-fu is very strong in the DIY CNC community, IMHO there are far better ways to spend time and mental energy than maintaining legacy hardware and OSs.
    While these reasons are certainly valid, the fact still remains that until controller software also moves to 64-bit, you probably won't see nuch if any machine performance benefit running an external pulse generator on XP versus Win7-64. Even a measly configured XP computer with minimal onboard and video RAM can push a machine far greater than most DIY specs can achieve.

Also, XP SP3 is pretty darn stable and as ubiquitous as a ball-point pen, and a complete system can be had for next to nothing, or recycled. There are very, very few machines out there that can take full advantage of the power of today's computers and operating systems. While XP may be considered "legacy" it can still be shipped with a new system, and the fact that it has done so for almost 10 years is a testament to its capabilities (granted, there wasn't too much of a choice!)

I have built many machines, and have three machines in operation in my shop/lab. Each controller PC I built myself. They all are running Windows 7 32bit at about 1.8Ghz.

The machines I build are very simple, and yes you can still purchase motherboards with parallel ports. I probably spent around $300 for the parts on each machine.

I prefer building may own PC for the CNC machines because, I can do it my way. No optical drives, proper filtered fans for cooling. One of the CNC machines cuts MDF every single day and has been doing so for well over a year.

Now that said, I use my laptop for testing and special projects. It has a USB SmoothStepper. I simply unplug the parallel cable from the original controller PC and plug it into my laptops SmoothStepper. Bam! I'm up and running.

I have also taken this laptop over to others shops and hooked it up to their CNC machines with success.

The SmoothStepper serves a purpose. But will this $175 device, Add anything special to a already working CNC controller. NO!
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

Hah, no doubt about that. Guess I need one of these because I only have win 64 on my mac. Will it run through win Parallels on the Mac or do I need a dedicated machine?
    Chris

I just hooked my CNC up to my Mac using a SmoothStepper. I am using VMFusion and windows7 32 bit. Im sure it would work with the 64 bit version as well.

Its a little laggy but it works.

Jog Control with Xbox Controller: Works
    Jog Control with keyboard: Works
    Probe: Works
    Homing Switches: Works
    Router Relay Control: Works
    Router SuperPID control On and Off: Works
    Router SuperPID speed cpntrol: Does not work

My Mac is a 2Ghz Mac mini with Lion Server.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails macsmoothstepper small.jpg  
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com