587,218 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Powermax 65 Consumable Question

I just ordered a new powermax 65 after a lot of looking and pondering. I ordered it with the machine torch setup and an extra hand torch 90% of the time it will be used on a cnc plasma machine with the machine torch.

What are the best consumable combinations to run In the following situations.

16G steel

1/4 steel

3/8 steel

I also was not sure what to program in on sheet cam for the plunge rate and the pause at end of cut. I did not see that info in the cut charts. If you have any other advice on variations to the cut charts I would love the input.

Thanks

The choice of consumables will depend on your needs......do you want to cut as fast as possible with less focus on quality, or do you want the best quality on each thickness, at the expense of speed?

Best quality on 16 gauge will occur with the FineCut consumables....best quality on 1/4" and 3/8" will happen with the 45 amps shielded consumables. All of the materials can be cut with the 65 amps shielded parts.

Fine Cut consumables for mechanized cutting: Shield : 220948, Retaining cap: 220954, Nozzle: 220930, Electrode: 220842, Swirl Ring: 220857

45 amp shielded for mechanized cutting: Shield: 220817, Nozzle: 220941, the rest of the components are the same as above.

65 amp shielded consumables for mechanized: Nozzle: 220819, the rest of the components same as above (use the 220817 shield).

The new Duramax torch makes it real easy to stock consumables...as you generally only need to change the nozzle and shield when changing power levels. Always use the lowest powered consumables listed in the cut charts for the material and thickness you are cutting when best quality is desired, follow the machine cutting specs in the operators manual using the recommended (not maximum) speed for best combination of edge angularity and minimal dross.

Consumables can be ordered from any authorized distributor...many distributors will stock them for you. Consumables for all Hypertherm torches are always available at Hypertherm (even for systems that are no longer produced) and can be ordered through the distributor.

I'm not completely sure what "plunge rate" is...but I suspect it is the z axis (height control axis) speed. Hypertherm plasma systems are installed on many different machine designs....the z axis speed should be set according to the design of the z axis and its acceleration and deacceleration characteristics. If the z is too fast it will overshoot when trying to get to the correct arc voltage....and the result will be oscillation....which will roughen the cut edge. Some z axis speeds are set at 30 to 40 ipm, others at 400 ipm...I suggest setting it to the maximum setting that ensures smooth motion with no oscilation. The ideal goal is to maintain very accurate torch to work distance throughout the cut to compensate for warpage, out of level, as well as thermally induced plate movement conditions.

Pause at the end of cut (again I am guessing what this function is on your particular setup) is probably the software stopping the motion for a time period before stopping the plasma. This function allows the bottom of the plasma arc to "catch up" with the position of the top of the cut. Plasma cutting on some materials (particularly stainless and aluminum, and more so with thicker material) has a natural lag in the arc, with the bottom trailing the top by as much as 15 to 29 degrees....this delay allows for the cut part to get completely severed at the end of the cut. A zero pause at the end of cut works on most steel cutting applications, in fact a negative number (if your software can do that) is often better on steel as the arc keeps an exothermic reaction going for a few misliseconds after the power is turned off. If the delay is too large...there will be a big "divot" at the end of the cut from the plasma staying on too long without torch motion. Hypertherm does not suggest a number for this as each machine design is different from a de-acceleration point of view...you will have to experiment with this setting in order to achive the best quality for what you are cutting.

Hope this helps to clarify a few things!

best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by rescueweasel View Post
    I just ordered a new powermax 65 after a lot of looking and pondering. I ordered it with the machine torch setup and an extra hand torch 90% of the time it will be used on a cnc plasma machine with the machine torch.

16G steel

1/4 steel

3/8 steel

I also was not sure what to program in on sheet cam for the plunge rate and the pause at end of cut. I did not see that info in the cut charts. If you have any other advice on variations to the cut charts I would love the input.

Thanks

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the info. On my soon to be replaced machine I set all of the cut parameters in Sheetcam and it has a space for the plunge rate and the pause.

I let these settings carry over to mach3. The new system that's on the way is more advanced and I now will have THC and the cpc interface.

The new system will still use Sheetcam and Mach3. Is there an option or should I be letting Mach3 control the cut values ie programming in the cut data values in Mach3 instead of Sheetcam?

Plunge rate and pause at end of cut are done in sheetcam as part of your "jet cutting tool" settings. You should have a different tool for each thickness and type of material you cut.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sheetcam tool settings.jpg  

Teknition,

In the picture you included I see that your plunge rate is set at 100.

I have been trying to find a reference guide like the one that Hypertherm has for their torches that shows the suggested plunges rates for the different materials and amps.

I have found a few posts that talk about this but no hard numbers. The few I have found have said to set it around 20. That's what I'm using on my current machine but the new one I would like to have things a little more dialed and not be guessing.

Is there a reference for setting the plunge rate for different materials and different amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Teknition View Post
    Plunge rate and pause at end of cut are done in sheetcam as part of your "jet cutting tool" settings. You should have a different tool for each thickness and type of material you cut.

Brad

There is no magic chart for plunge rate. It will all depend on the mechanics of your machine. You want the plunge to happen as quick as possible without stalling your motors or overshooting. You will have to experiment with the number and then fine tune from there.

Brad

Rescueweasel
    Please remember to post here once you've had a chance to use the PM65 as I unfortunately am in need of replacing a Powermax 600 6 months out of warranty.
    I am questioning wether to go Hypertherm at all due to this fact. IMHO there are only a few to choose from, Hypertherm, Thermal Dynamics, Lincoln ? Dont have experience with any others.
    If I stick with Hypertherm I know its either a 45 or 65 just not certain of which.
    This will be mounted to a PlasmaCam table..

Quote Originally Posted by rescueweasel View Post

16G steel

1/4 steel

3/8 steel

Thanks

mjbdesigns

I'm a little ways off from cutting with the Powermax 65 still working on getting the table together.

A few things I found out during my research everyone that did cnc plasma cutting said go with a thermal dynamics or Hypertherm. Miller makes a nice plasma cutter I have one but I don't use it for automated cutting. The connections and automation integration are just getting going with them.

With Hypertherm the product support was better in my experience, and there seemed to be more in use in the cnc community. I also looked at the long run as far as consumables. I found Hypertherm consumables to be a little less than Thermal dynamics.

With my first machine I found that I did not have enough power. I under estimated how thick I was going to be cutting. This time I went with the Powermax65 I feel that it will be over what I intend to use and it can do everything that the 45 can do. When in doubt go bigger.

I will definitely be giving a full review once I start cutting and putting it through its paces in about a month.

you can follow my build here: Desert Fabworks CNC Plasma Build
    Desert Fabworks LLC -Fort Mohave, Arizona
    www.desertfabworks.com - Project Sites: www.cncplasmabuild.com - www.cncrouterbuild.com

You won't go wrong with the 65. Mine is a little over a year old and has worked flawlessly. I've got a little over 21 hours of actual arc time ( as measured by the 65) and the only problem I ever had / have is "stuck consumables" once in a while. I don't know what causes this but a light rap on the torch seems to fix it.

I just finished 4 days of heavy cutting to get ready for a art show and put 3.4 hours of actual cutting time on the machine on one set of finecut consumables. I don't have any estimate on the number of pierces but it is an awful lot. The kerf is now running about.060 - .065 but this is not a problem for the stuff I do. I'll replace them before I run again but this is a lot of cutting for $10.00.

Besides that, we have our own personal tech support guru in Jim Colt. What could be better than that ?

Good Luck with your build.

Willy