587,168 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

power supply question

Hi all,
    This is my first post. I've been studying and searching the forums for quite some time. I am ready to start my retrofit of my series 1 rigid ram bridgeport. I have decided to use Linuxcnc (emc2) with mesanet hardware in a closed loop servo arrangement. I am looking at the KL34-180-90 from keling for the motors and driving them with Dugong DG2s 160v 35a drives. I will probably use AMT-102-v encoders. My first question is regarding power supplies. I'm not sure how big or what kind to use. I am going to be driving 4 axis. Also am I on the right track with these motors an drives?

I have done two of these with the emc2 system. If you are interested in saving yourself a ton of work - my advice is to simply use the pre-existing stepper motors that are on the machine. Buy gecko 203v stepper drivers. You can use a 60v or 70v dc power supply at 13 amps.

If you do not have 3-phase power, you can run the spindle off a teco-fm-50 VFD that accepts simple 230v single phase.

This is a quick and simple solution that takes me about 40 hours of labor to have the machine up, running and cutting.

(here is a link for someone else who has done the same procedure but he uses mach-3)
    Bridgeport Series II CNC Gecko/Mach3 Conversion | The Steampunk Workshop
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

I agree with DrStein99. I retrofitted two Bridgeport machines. Both with Gecko 203V's with a PMDX132 BOB. One machine I installed Keling steppers and one machine I left the original Bridgeport steppers. If you use the Keling units you have to machine an adaptor to fit the bridgeport pulleys on the .500 shafts. The machine with the original Bridgeport units never seems to miss any steps. The Keling units although rated higher in oz/in's seem to miss a few steps occasionally.

Thanks for the replys!

Is there a good way to test the bridgeport stepper motors? I really don't know what kind of shape they are in. If I knew they were good I would probably go the route you guys are suggesting.

I would just go ahead and build your system using the Bridgeports and see how they do. Then at a later date you could replace them with the Kelings if need be. You won't be out anything but you could save quite a bit of time and money if the Bridgeports are ok.

That sounds like a good plan. I'll start with the bp motors and get some geckos to drive them. Thanks Everyone for the good info.