587,235 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Postprocessor- engraver

Postprocessor- engraver

I have tried several times to use the engraver tools and I get a "nested quote comment in line xx". What it amounts to is a quote inside a quote so I removed the quotes it was refering to and the code ran on the machine.

Question is, has anyone else ran into this? Is there a way to edit the description of the engravers in the tool table to remove these quotes?

I can bring up the description line in the tool table but the section that needs to be edited doesnt show up.

any insight on this would be much appreciated...
    mike sr

Hi Mike,
    When I first got SprutCam and had a few tools assigned to TTS holders I went in and filled out my tool table in SC and I had put some fancy long descriptions in the tool table with parenthesis and got the same error. I went back in and edited the descriptions by just opening the perimeters window, go to tool and select the tool I want to edit, change the name or what ever and click on replace.
    Seems to me I remember Eric had done a video on the tool table. The video had a section that told where the file is located on your hard drive and how to back it up.
    HTH,
    Gerry

Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    Hi Mike,
    When I first got SprutCam and had a few tools assigned to TTS holders I went in and filled out my tool table in SC and I had put some fancy long descriptions in the tool table with parenthesis and got the same error. I went back in and edited the descriptions by just opening the perimeters window, go to tool and select the tool I want to edit, change the name or what ever and click on replace.
    Seems to me I remember Eric had done a video on the tool table. The video had a section that told where the file is located on your hard drive and how to back it up.
    HTH,
    Gerry

Now why didnt I think of that??
    I was trying to edit the description in the tool table and it wont let me do that, the replace function is a good idea!
    Eric did have a video on tool table creation, I just havent taken the time to set one up, I have been using the one that came with Sprut and editing the feeds and speeds to more realistic values.

I wanted to use one for a chamfer tool this time and got the nested quote error again, I normally would select the 1/16 endmill for engraving then use an engraver tool to do the part. I will change the descriptions of them, that is the best solution.

thanks
    mike sr

Remember not to use parentheses in the tool description

I can usually express myself in writing decently, but I am not the best speller. If I'm unsure about a word and don't have internet or a dictionary, I just use a different word.

I ran into the problem of quotes and such in the tool table when I tried to use the double-quote to denote inches in the tool description. The solution I went with was to use 'in' instead of the double quote to denote inches. For example,

.250in cylindrical end mill
    .500in ball end mill

I do a lot of programming for work, and in that world, there are usually ways to "escape" special characters when you want. Maybe someone smarter about SC knows if such a thing is possible in Sprut?

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wirecutter View Post
    I can usually express myself in writing decently, but I am not the best speller. If I'm unsure about a word and don't have internet or a dictionary, I just use a different word.

I ran into the problem of quotes and such in the tool table when I tried to use the double-quote to denote inches in the tool description. The solution I went with was to use 'in' instead of the double quote to denote inches. For example,

.250in cylindrical end mill
    .500in ball end mill

I do a lot of programming for work, and in that world, there are usually ways to "escape" special characters when you want. Maybe someone smarter about SC knows if such a thing is possible in Sprut?

-Mark
    What it is Mark is when Mach 3 reads your .tap file it sees any thing between the parenthesis as comments, not g-code. So when it sees parentheses inside parentheses it gets confused and spits out the error.
    As a programmer you know how comments work in coding, works the same as in Mach 3.
    You can still use " in the tool description.
    Gerry

Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

I've resorted to using brackets - "[]" - in tool descriptors for things like:

4-40 tap drill [#39]

when I essentially want to specify a tool 2 different ways. That has worked well so far.

Mike