587,661 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Powermax 85 Machine Torch, any breakages?
Page 2 of 2 12
    The part that breaks (on a Duramax machine torch) in a torch/plate collision is far less expensive than the torch body. First....torches are not designed to collide with the plate....at plasma speeds any torch will break...including our large industrial torches. Second...it is a good investment to mount any plasma torch with a breakaway mount....you can see one such example further down this thread ( Home Page ) .

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by mfealy View Post
    i purchased a powermax 85 with a machine torch last year did not use it much just got my cnc table up and going was doing some cutting and the torch snapped is this a common fault part number is A IEC 60974-7 seems to be very weak point at start off internal thread

do hypertherm make a steel part for this torch broken in the same place as the one in this post

do hypertherm make a steel part for this torch broken in the same place as the one in this post
    So then, you would prefer to buy a more expensive torch body when the next collision happens? You might want to read Jim's last post once more.

Brad

ok mybe asking for steel part is over the top but was not going full speed my drives are all rack and pinon tension is a spring so if gantry get stuck pinon will slip off the rack just a slight time the torch is broken on a mache that cost alot and the new part will cost me 139 euros not good when your just getting started looks like i have make do with some glue and bit of pipe ill post pics up here soon

powermax 85 machine torch

pics of powermax machine torch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-03 18.05.00.jpg   2012-08-03 18.05.27.jpg  

The composite parts on the machine torch assembly are critical insulators...they cannot be produced from a conductive material. You can epoxy the part back together to get running....but I suggest that you order the correct part. If you are just learning with your machine you should be prepared to hit the E Stop in the event of a collision....or maybe buy or fabricate a breakaway device for the torch as I mentioned previously.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine torch breakdown.png  

Hi Jim

Yes I glued the part back together and cut a small piece of stainless steel pipe that slipped tight over the outside of the part and glued it as well. that should keep me going for few weeks till I start making some money back from the set-up.

Sounds good. Just keep in mind that if that part is stronger and you have a hard collision....then the next weakest link will likely bend or break. The torch body itself is the expensive part.

Jim Colt

Hi Jim

Yes I glued the part back together and cut a small piece of stainless steel pipe that slipped tight over the outside of the part and glued it as well. that should keep me going for few weeks till I start making some money back from the set-up.

Hypertherm M85 Machine torch

Hi Jim,

Could you post a drawing with dimensions of an M85 torch please.
    We would like to make a mounting for that torch and as we havent got one yet some drawing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here is the drawing right out of the Powermax65/85 operators manual. If you need further dimensions....let me know. The manual can be downloaded from the Choose your region and language | Hypertherm website.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Hi Jim,

Could you post a drawing with dimensions of an M85 torch please.
    We would like to make a mounting for that torch and as we havent got one yet some drawing would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machinetorchdimensions.jpg  

Many thanks Jim.

here is my DIY torch break away (concept by WSS).
    the magnet is 60 mm high.
    the hoseclamp higher up on the torch holds down a microswitch; any movement of 3 mm e-stops the system.
    Is also very convient for servicing the torch consumables.
    Works fine for me, costs about $ 25,- for the magnet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnettorchbreakaway.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 12