587,439 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 9 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
    What would the water based coolant do to the Taig, that it wouldn't do to... a Tormach?
    Because it has a small table it will tend to wash over areas that are lubricated with oil or grease, but I think the main reason is that its a composite machine and they are concerned about potential galvanic metal reactions. Aluminum can be very reactive.

If you go on Youtube there are atleast a couple folks using different water based soluble coolants on their Taig in their videos. It would not hurt to ask them all how long they have been runing it that way, and how much use their machines get. I have asked a few and none have reported any adverse affects, but I don't recall any saying they have been running them that way for several years.

There are a couple other things I can think of.

The Taig spindle motor is open and could potentially be affected by spray and create an electrical hazard. Slim, but there. I am sure that various electrical codes and standards would require a closed motor for this application, perhaps also a GFI circuit. Its just too close to the area where coolant spray is generated from cutting.

Additionally, most stepper and servo motors are also open and could be damaged by water, or perhaps in some cases create a safety risk. I don't know that is all that slim of a risk as my X & Y steppers are always coated with cutting oil. I do run a much higher speed spindle than the Taig spindle, so it slings cutting oil quite a bit further. I do believe there are some wet environment steppers out there though. Keling I believe has some and they weren't all that much more than other steppers, but I tend to shy away from Keling because I had a bad experience with them once. Not saying you should. Lots of folks are happy with them.

Anyway, some folks do use water based coolants on their Taig CNC mills and report no ill affects. Taig reccomends you don't.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I never thought about the different metals, has anyone effectivaly used WD-40 as flood coolant?

I never thought about the different metals, has anyone effectivaly used WD-40 as flood coolant?

I used it as a spot lubricant when I first started cutting aluminum and it actually works pretty good, but when I bought gallon jugs I found there was some kind of sludge in the bottom that made me uncomfortable. I did consider it as a flood lubricant, but it is much more flammable than most high grade machine oils including transmission fluid. I buy my tranny fluid in the generic one gallon bottles at Wal-Mart. The one thing I do not like about tranny fluid is that under heavy cutting loads it is consumed. (burned up) If I am doing a long job I do not like to be in the shop and breath that. I go in the office and work on other stuff while I keep an eye on the machine with a video camera. I have two inside the cabinet of my Taig tied back to my DVR. Anyway, that is the main reason I want to get switched over to a water soluble eco friendly lubricant / coolant.
    Bob La Londe

Yeah I have an IP camera to do the same, I use wd-40 for spot coolant with good results. Also the gallon cans of WD-40 needs shaken before each use I found or it seperates. I'll try the koolmist in flood coolant for now. Thanks!

Here was today after work...

I finished building the cabinet then..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1346198594281.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198610665.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198622442.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198634834.jpg  

uploadfromtaptalk1346198648249.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198670577.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198680816.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346198691466.jpg  

Here was today after work...

I finished building the cabinet then..
    Two questions.

1. Exactly what tub is that? (part source)
    2. Is that tub large enough to handle the full travel of a 2019CR-ER Mill with steppers installed? (dimensions)
    3. Have you noticed I can't count?
    4. Are you going to build an enclosure or just deal with a little over spray?
    5. Are you planning on an oil skimmer?
    Bob La Londe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Two questions.

1. Exactly what tub is that? (part source)
    2. Is that tub large enough to handle the full travel of a 2019CR-ER Mill with steppers installed? (dimensions)
    3. Have you noticed I can't count?
    4. Are you going to build an enclosure or just deal with a little over spray?
    1. 2' x 3' tub from Lowe's in the building supplies, I think in the 2nd to last aisle in the building.

2. The stepper will go over the edge at Home position, haven't measured height yet, may have to cut a slot, not sure, I honestly hope its a temporary solution.

3. nope, this is my first answer.

4. Not sure, will see what happens I guess, will probably go the shower curtain route for now until I work up the energy to build a full enclosure. I've never seen what coolant does in person, so... I guess it will be a good Learning experience.

Nice cabinets!

They are nice. 800$ for all 3 at Sams Club. I bought them all over a year's time though... 200..200..400. That big one took 3hrs to build or something like that... Read the directions!

#2.... Don't buy this tub...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1346279885007.jpg  

#2.... Don't buy this tub...
    6. Um... you know your X axis motor slot will only work at one Y setting right?
    Bob La Londe

Yea, I shouldn't of taken that picture.... I'm busy and being forced into short spurts of work, and about losing my mind....
    Brainfart...

Here is all I got done tonight. I have neoprene washers under the metal washers aswell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1346287993224.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346288006342.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346288018322.jpg  

Here is all I got done tonight. I have neoprene washers under the metal washers aswell.
    I've got an aluminum pan for mine with a similar drain. Had a friend brake the metal and I welded it up. I found that my drain screen would plug up from aluminum slivers, so I drilled out the screen and let it dump into a larger screen basket. I still have to dump the basket pretty often when doing aggressive milling with deeper cutters.
    Bob La Londe

That would be a lot nicer, I think I'm going to build one out of wood and bed line it. This is trash....

Took the switch box off, 2 screws... Hmm.... I'll put my magnetic coolant block there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1346365194734.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1346365205859.jpg  

Got my Rotary table and a New 48v supply yesterday. This sherline table is VERY quality, are there mills just as quality, did I make a mistake buying a Taig.....

Got my Rotary table and a New 48v supply yesterday. This sherline table is VERY quality, are there mills just as quality, did I make a mistake buying a Taig.....
    LOL, no! Sherline mills are meant for model and miniatures makers. They are very well made (or at least used to be up until a few years ago), but so incredibly light as to not be usable for anything we would consider machining.

Sherline rotary tables were the companies big home run, they turned out to be a sort of a standard that pretty much everyone uses. The rest of their machines, however, are pretty niche to modelers.

I see.

Well here is what I've done so far today.

Wired in my new power supply, A axis driver, built a monitor stand, put in start,hold,stop buttons, finished coolant setup, put computer in drawer and hooked it up, hmmm now all I have to do is wire in the steppers and wait for my PVC to arrive to make the enclosure.

The yellow cord on the back is the power to this whole setup, I have a filter for my drivers power supply that you can see ontop of the power supply.

It's not pretty... Just functional....

Oh.. gotta have WiFi out here too!

Here is the final coolant setup.

And finished monitor stand

Yes, my garage is a complete disaster....

I haven't seen anyone mount their steppers at an angle, but I'm going to, then I'll just get some aluminum angle and tig weld it to the bracket that mounts to the stepper, this will look good and prevent water from getting on the stepper, as it will be just like a house roof.

Woooooo! Coolant!

Gettin there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1346609208524.jpg  

Page 7 of 9 56789