587,683 active members*
2,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NM-145 z axis adjustment?

Hybrid View

OK so does anybody have an exploded view of this assembly? I have not disassembled anything since the day I got it so everything should be in the correct orientation. I cant verify this but I don't think it was doing this when I got it so it stands to reason over the year something like the thrust bearing may have worked its way loose. I have checked the gibs several times they seam to be good I get very little lateral deflection under heavy cuts and I did attempt my z test under what I thought to be both loose and tight conditions very little effect on the results so I put it back to what I think was just a little on the tight side.

So I guess these problems should be under the z stepper. So I guess I will be removing it tonight and checking all the screws for tightness. Thank you for responding here, I did contact Khai about the z issue evidently John had been copied. That was 8 days ago I have not heard back. Now I know your busy up there I just thought I would use the resources available to me, thats all.

if you take the cover off the z motor mount, you will see the z axis motor coupling, and the lock nuts that tighten the ball screw support bearings.

if you move the axis up and down, youll be able to see if:

- the coupling is slipping or compressing the red spacer.
    - the screw is moving up and down relative to the bearings.

i think that should be the first step here.

Illustrated parts break down

Quote Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
    OK so does anybody have an exploded view of this assembly? I have not disassembled anything since the day I got it so everything should be in the correct orientation. I cant verify this but I don't think it was doing this when I got it so it stands to reason over the year something like the thrust bearing may have worked its way loose. I have checked the gibs several times they seam to be good I get very little lateral deflection under heavy cuts and I did attempt my z test under what I thought to be both loose and tight conditions very little effect on the results so I put it back to what I think was just a little on the tight side.

So I guess these problems should be under the z stepper. So I guess I will be removing it tonight and checking all the screws for tightness. Thank you for responding here, I did contact Khai about the z issue evidently John had been copied. That was 8 days ago I have not heard back. Now I know your busy up there I just thought I would use the resources available to me, thats all.
    The exploded views are available and I can create one for the selected area later tonight and send it. I have talked recently (a couple of months ago maybe) to a customer about the Z-axis on their machine and have provided exploded views to him also on this same subject. I have not seen any recent message about this though. I don't know your user name so I am not sure where to send it, but if you send me an inquiry through [email protected], I will send you a breakdown of the Z-azis assembly.

Should you have any technical questions, please use the support email.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Z Axis picture

I don't know how much it will help as there really isn't much to it, but here is a shot of the end of the Z axis screw/stepper mount area.
    I turned a piece of aluminum that would fit into the coupling so I could mount my drill on the screw to run the head up and down while I worked on the reassembly.
    Directly underneath the coupling is the spanner nut that screws on to the end of the screw. Underneath the nut is retaining tab. One of the tabs is bent up into a notch on the spanner nut. The bearing cap is underneath that. Take that off and you have access to the two bearings.
    Hope it helps,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6194.JPG