587,108 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Experience with carving-cnc.com 6040 router
Page 4 of 8 23456
    Not sure why my image isnt showing....

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    I searched high and low for a cheap aluminum or stainless container and came up dry. Im not sure algae can bloom in antifreeze, water based flood coolant on a mill is a different beast altogether.
    Yeah, ideally a 4-6 litre rectangular stainless steel container with a solid seal on the lid would be perfect, but I tried everywhere to no avail. I found some at a catering supplier that were almost okay, but were around $150.

Not 100% sure about the bloom in anti-freeze, but as they are mostly water with additives, my attitude is when in doubt, assume the worst possible scenario. I know some people advocate a little iodine to stop bloom.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Yeah, ideally a 4-6 litre rectangular stainless steel container with a solid seal on the lid would be perfect, but I tried everywhere to no avail. I found some at a catering supplier that were almost okay, but were around $150.

Not 100% sure about the bloom in anti-freeze, but as they are mostly water with additives, my attitude is when in doubt, assume the worst possible scenario. I know some people advocate a little iodine to stop bloom.

cheers,
    Ian
    What about buying a stainless cooking kettle, solder the lid to it and mount some nipples and you have a very cheap solution..

Quote Originally Posted by jaru-eri View Post
    What about buying a stainless cooking kettle, solder the lid to it and mount some nipples and you have a very cheap solution..
    It needs to be a removable lid for the pump. Making one is the way I see it unfortunately. Also, over here, stainless cooking utensils in the larger capacities are quite expensive. So if i'm paying a lot, I want it to be what I want.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

i like to now how big the control box is lxbxh.
    i have 4 good controllers 48volt dc and usb mach3 controller i like to vid into the box.
    i have ordered the 6040 but have to wait to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by michel pet View Post
    i like to now how big the control box is lxbxh.
    Michel, Probably there are few different types for the control boxes. I took measures on my model.
    The external dimensions are about 305mm width X 123mm height X 280mm depth.

ok thanks.

Hi There,

I have a question about this 6040 cnc router from carving cnc. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I couldn't find any info on their site or in this thread.

Are the stepper motors Standard NEMA-23 size?

The reason I ask is that I bought a 3020 cnc router on ebay. It was a Joke, The controller packed up within a month or 2 and I replaced it with a probotix 3-axis kit. Which works great. I also upgraded the spindle on it from 0.2kw to 1,5kw air-cooled spindle with vfd. The machine worked great after the upgrades, but over time the stupid trapezoidal lead screws have started wearing out. Now I am getting about 1mm of play on the Y-axis. Which is messing up everything I cut.

I have decided to replace it with a 6040 machine from carving-cnc.com but I am going to get the bare machine without motors or controller or spindle and just transplant all the motors and electronics from my old machine.

I just wanted to make sure that the stepper motors will fit. The ones I currently have are NEMA-23 motors, would appreciate it if someone could tell me if the stepper motor mounting holes on the 6040 machine are also NEMA-23

Also if someone could tell me the diameter of the ballscrew ends where the motors attach via a coupling. I just want to make sure that I have the right size couplings. at the moment on my current machine they are 8mm and my motors are 1/4" (6.35mm)

Thanks a million.

6040Z-S80 New version inside the box

Hi everyone,

For what it's worth, here are a few pictures of the "new version" of the 6040Z-S80 from carving CNC box. Looks like they changed the drivers vs the suncnc box of the 6040Z-S80 version. Although the breakout board looks the same.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8783970...7631740094833/

6040Z-S80 New version

Just purchased 6040 CNC with new updated controller box from carve cnc site. Should be here next week or so. They just added 110VAC/120VAC option for $34 more. I hope I don't have to upgrade anything i.e. spindle/controllers/ports etc. My main purpose is to use it for PCB routing and some light aluminum cutting/milling. I work with SolidWorks for 3D modeling and DesignSpark for all PCB related jobs. I suppose I will need Mach3 software and some dfx/gerber to g-code converters. I will give my feedback on this machine once I figure everything out (first time CNC machine operator) very excited!!! :banana:

P.S. any suggestions as to gerber to g-code converters?

Andrew

i am running the box at 48 volts good drives and usbcnc controller fore mach3.

cnc6040 test2 - YouTube

more fid on my youtube page.

6040Z-S80

Just received my new toy, new version of 6040z, last two weeks. Have been busy to troubleshoot the y-axis. It moves only to 1 direction despite of either up or down arrow key is pressed.

Overall, quite impressed with the machine build.

Do remember! to replace the cables to shielded and earth them properly!!

Does anyone have a source for bellows to match these machines?

Y axis:
    2x l=40+mounting w=61cm
    Z axis:
    2x l=68+mounting w=52+121+52cm U shaped

my experience with 6040z+s80...frame is great-controller box, poor

sorry posted twice

my experience with 6040z+s80 from carving-cnc.com

short story - frame is great ...controller not so great ...i wouldnt buy from them again ..just my 2 pennies

long story-
    ok, i tend to do alot more reading then typing on forums so please be patient.
    i purchased the newest model of carving-cnc.com's 6040z+s80 4 axis engraver router. i paid around $2100 shipped to texas,usa and recieved it 6 days later then it was supposed to take. i am in no form trying to bash theyre business because i wouldnt want anyone doing the same to mine BUT im struggling now because of the lack of support that comes with the machine. ive email back and forth and have gotten responses but it takes 3 days per, also google translator is no way to run an international business so its hard talk to each other. PROBLEM: when i got the machine it DID NOT come with instructions, just two big boxes and i put the machine together myself going off pictures, as well as setting up mach 3 and finding the best cam program that worked for me which is vcarve pro. i cut my first part 9 days after i got the machine and then was gone on vaction for a week. when i came back i recieved a manual via email. i thought to myself how do you sell a product and then make a manual after youve sold 100000 of them. owell over that, about three weeks into having the machine i was cutting my second part...it was running great after getting all the settings correct by cnczone.com and researching for days..on the second side if the part the spindle gets in a bind, locks up and the machine shuts down. i check breakers, reset the machine start whatever i can over and over allowing time for reboots as well. this is the point wee i realize yay my wife was right i ust wasted money and alot of it. last thing i want to do is tell her shes right so i open the controller while on google searching for similar problems with this model....the more i research the more i find that there are sure alot of complaints about this machine but more so the previous models. being that its the new model its harder to find tech tips on it, ect ect. i find out my vfd is smelling funny so i check it out and theres one problem..the black pad on the aluminum fin board is blown up(i dont know tech terms for these parts just descriptions) so i research and buy a gs2 from automationdirect.com i also replaced the breakout board with a probotix.com pbx-rf isolated cnc breakoutboard, the wiring hardware to make that work and a new power supply.i pay for overnight delivery and today it arrived. installed everything very slowy and tried to look at each detail as i replaced each item. now i get one led on the breakout board - showing power coming from the usb connect to the pc....no signs of turning on or even the green led lighting up from the powersupply although when the power is turned on the multimeter reads anywhere from 2-25 v on the v+...as i just checked it it seems i have a short somewhere..i put my fan positive wire to a driver hot and the black to a bare metal spot on the case and it turned the fan and i heard noise from one of the motors(sounded like the spindle) i didnt leave the wires connected in fear it might make matters worse, but it seems like theres a short anyways im lost as usual on this machine and going to bed...ust wanted to share my experience with this yoocnc...and btw i will now listen to my wife when she says save up just a little bit more! goodnight folks.

Quote Originally Posted by fsfabworks View Post
    short story - frame is great ...controller not so great ...i wouldnt buy from them again ..just my 2 pennies
    I'm not aware of any issues at all with the frame which is good as it would be very hard to produce a similar machine for anywhere near the cost, generally all the issues with these machines, are the crap controllers, which is very, very, heavily documented throughout these forums on a large number of posts. I would always recommend throwing away the existing controllers and simply replace it with a G540. The difference is astounding. The manufacturer from Carving-cnc stated in some posts that the machines with the crap controllers aren't genuine YOOCNC ones, but cheap rip-offs. I can't attest to that, but I'd be curious to see some high res photos of the inside of the controller case and boards your machine came with for comparison.

On another note, if the VFD packed it in, which is a bit weird for a new machine, did you make a paypal or credit card claim to get a replacement?

I also don't understand how the spindle can lock up, unless it's monitoring the current usage, which I didn't think these are wired to do so?

cheers,
    Ian

Thanks for responding arrgg you helped me stay faithful. ...i was able to run my vfd and spindle solo today , that was a direct connection with the main power not going thru the controller power supply because I tried that and it wouldn't even turn the vfd on. I will post some pictures of my set up tomorrow. And I'm ordering that g540 because when I finally hooked up all my new parts yesterday a step driver popped and blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by fsfabworks View Post
    Thanks for responding arrgg you helped me stay faithful. ...i was able to run my vfd and spindle solo today , that was a direct connection with the main power not going thru the controller power supply because I tried that and it wouldn't even turn the vfd on. I will post some pictures of my set up tomorrow. And I'm ordering that g540 because when I finally hooked up all my new parts yesterday a step driver popped and blew up.
    Good choice on the G540, you'll be very, very happy with that. Do you reckon you could you post some high res closeups of the driver boards inside the controller? It would be good for everyone to see if there's truly any difference between the new model controller and all the prior ones.

The boards did also have an inherent design problem that occasionally caused the IC's to blow depending on the power up/down sequence. Apart from the drivers being garbage, this is possibly what happened to yours, or any of the many other faults! :stickpoke

Hook up the G540, and you'll see a massive difference in speed and performance!

One other thing I would recommend when you hook up the G540 is to ensure the machine and spindle are properly earthed with star wiring, to help reduce any noise from the spindle/VFD.

cheers,
    Ian

How exactly to earth the VFD?

My machine sometimes looses steps in Y but never in X.
    Sometimes It goes wild and dives down on Z, destroying the part.

PS:
    Does anyone know when the RS485-based G540 will come out?
    I don't want to stick to a limited parallel port when upgrading the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhon3da View Post
    Hook up the G540, and you'll see a massive difference in speed and performance!
    You should link to
    G540 4-Axis Motor Control
    a) That Amazon.com search turns up Intel processors instead.
    b) Amazon.com is only for US and most of the time doesn't ship worldwide,
    users would need .co.uk, .de, .fr, .co.jp, ... depending on where they are.

Page 4 of 8 23456