587,744 active members*
2,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > Calculating feed rates and speeds for ABS

Calculating feed rates and speeds for ABS

Hi all

Have been trying to find the correct surface speed for culculating feed rates for ABS but with no succsess. My router is "slow" max 250mm/min and have tried using both a Dremmel and a Kress router but even at the lowest speed on the bit still get melting and "wavy" edges. most work needs to be with 1mm and 2mm dia mills. Am using air blast to clear chips and cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007-09-02-82740.jpg   2007-09-02-82825.jpg  

Plastics ideally should be cutted with low speeds (1000-6000 rpm) and 1 or 2 flutes bits designed for. The idea is to obtain "chips" of the cut and not melted material.

Regards from Spain

There are a lot of single point tools coming onto the market now which are ideally suited for Aluminium and plastics as they clear out the chips at an increased rate. Just do a search for single point carbide router bits.
    Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Hi

I am doing a lot of work using both ABS, HDPE and Perspex and find
    HS 5%co Spiral Cut Bit for Aluminium : CARBA-TEC these are brilliant.

I run my router at 2500mm/minute at about 16,000 RPM and get a lovely clean finish on various plastics. Use a pass of about 0.25mm for the final cut.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

Are you using any coolant/lubricant at these speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by uspl View Post
    Hi

I am doing a lot of work using both ABS, HDPE and Perspex and find
    HS 5%co Spiral Cut Bit for Aluminium : CARBA-TEC these are brilliant.

I run my router at 2500mm/minute at about 16,000 RPM and get a lovely clean finish on various plastics. Use a pass of about 0.25mm for the final cut.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

Nope, just cutting raw.
    I have also been running a "traditional" 4 flute mill cutter at 5000RPM on HDPE at 1000mm per minute. The result is real chips, no spirals of cooked plastic, clean finish and a great result. Just starting with this type of cutter in plastics and learning as I go.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by uspl View Post
    Nope, just cutting raw.
    I have also been running a "traditional" 4 flute mill cutter at 5000RPM on HDPE at 1000mm per minute. The result is real chips, no spirals of cooked plastic, clean finish and a great result. Just starting with this type of cutter in plastics and learning as I go.

Cheers
    I guess i have been VERY cautious as i haven't really had much experience with plastics and end mills so i guess i get worried i will break a mill or mess the perspex. I have been getting nice chips with a 2 flute @ 200mm/min and 8000rpm. Then again a 4 flute can do much of the same work with slower rpms lol

I need to test stuff more... maby start a run then up the RPM and then slowly up the feedrate and see how far i get