587,998 active members*
1,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What would you do?

Looks like my gig as a union toolmaker will/may be ending soon-layoff plant closing after 4 years of employment(surprised its not happened sooner). Not what I consider a real toolmaker position since all we do is sharpen and shim carbide blanking dies. I was cautioned when I first hired in by a 44 years of service to this company toolmaker to avoid breathing carbide dust/fumes when surface grinding carbide (he passed away about a year and a half ago/lung cancer). This company has meetings for all employees on a monthly basis and I have brought up the topic of the hazards of carbide fumes/dust. It seems this company either never had or has misplaced the MSDS data To their credit they have supplied me with the MSDS sheets from 2 of our tooling vendors. Now since I may be a short timer I got to thinking (i am late 50ish) what might/ (might not happen... I hope)- if I develop problems from exposure down the road so I requested 3 things from the company: 1-develop and file away an MSDS sheet as required by law 2-install proper collection/suction systems for our Mattison type hydraulic and in particuler hand feed surface grinders 3-an acknowlegement that an MSDS sheet was never on file

Company response: 1- no problem : we will insert one of our vendors MSDS sheets in our book 2- hold on/ $WE$ have scheduled air quality tester-experts to test our toolroom 3- RED FLAGS(we'll get back with you)

I'm thinking my response should be 1- great...should have been in there all along 2- I think I can predict the results of the company funded air quality
    test-- I'm wondering what type of test and the results would be if the workshirt and hat I wear would reflect (you might say I take my job home with me, and to my family 3-Union grievance- not sure who won the last golf outing or caught the most fish the last time the company and union got
    together ?OSHA? ? $attorney$

Help me out people this ain't make believe What would you do?
    1-
    2-
    3-

1-You should have taken action sooner.
    2-You should have taken action sooner.
    3-You should have taken action sooner.

You waited 4 years why? You have not filed a complaint with OSHA why?

will surely report it immediately to others......

Quote Originally Posted by kayse View Post
    Help me out people this ain't make believe What would you do?
    1-
    2-
    3-
    4/ take immediate responsibility for my own health and safety

we're responsible for our own health and safety and if proper equipment isn't supplied then we're the ones who are putting a dollar value on our own lives , if it's not safe then I wouldn't start the job to begin with .
    I worked in plants where the first thing that was said in the safety talks was " if your buddy drops in front of you then run the other way , he's already dead " , it was that instant of a death ! We took these warnings seriously and made sure that we were properly equipped in case there was a gas leak . If you've been warned about the dangers of the dust then you should have ensured your safety from the get go

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I completely agree with txcncman. You should have taken action sooner.
    www.ajancnc.com