587,119 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MAZAK QT20 GAMBLE

Hi im new to MAZAKs and have a chance to buy a 1986 MAZAK QT20 for basic threading and short production runs.

This unit has a 101 missing info alarm said to run fine up till then.

Any idea on the faults causing this alarm message ?

Thanks for you help!

If it is a Fanuc controller it means you powered down while it was still writing memory. To clear it you have to power up holding the reset and delete buttons.

Pretty sure it's a T-1.....if this is the one on Ebay.

I personally don't know what that alarm means on the T-1. I have a 86' QT20n with a T-2......and alarm 101 is a x+ soft limit alarm according to my T-2 manual.

If you are a tenacious troubleshooter type of person.....I would probably not worry too much. These old machines need this type of personality if they are going to be kept going without costing a fortune.

101 Missing Condition alarm means a condition to run is not met such as the machine is not homed out, the chuck is open (if it is an air chuck wait until you hear a click after closing the chuck before trying to do anything), tail stock quill is extended and not on the switch. Sometimes one of the fans will stick and it may cause 101 also. It is not a big deal to clear usually.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MrMazak View Post
    101 Missing Condition alarm means a condition to run is not met such as the machine is not homed out, the chuck is open (if it is an air chuck wait until you hear a click after closing the chuck before trying to do anything), tail stock quill is extended and not on the switch. Sometimes one of the fans will stick and it may cause 101 also. It is not a big deal to clear usually.
    Big Thanks Guys!! You have given me some solid things to look for.

SMAXX

Quote Originally Posted by michaelthomas View Post
    Pretty sure it's a T-1.....if this is the one on Ebay.

I personally don't know what that alarm means on the T-1. I have a 86' QT20n with a T-2......and alarm 101 is a x+ soft limit alarm according to my T-2 manual.

If you are a tenacious troubleshooter type of person.....I would probably not worry too much. These old machines need this type of personality if they are going to be kept going without costing a fortune.

SMAXX

Quote Originally Posted by Night Shift Wiz View Post
    If it is a Fanuc controller it means you powered down while it was still writing memory. To clear it you have to power up holding the reset and delete buttons.

SMAXX

MT does this seem like a good deal for this machine ?? LV

It seems like a decent deal if you are confident that you can fix it yourself.

The machine scrap value is about 1000.00 to 1200.00.

It appears to have a chip conveyor, too.......although it makes no mention if it is included. Would be great if it came with it.

Rigging and moving costs can add up quick, so be sure to check that out first.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer physically than the machine I bought. If I was close enough to pick it up myself......and needed another machine.....I would probably get it.....although the T-1 control is supposed to be lacking compared to the T-2.

If he doesn't have the manuals, they will cost you 750.00 from Mazak.

I'm sure the machine has enough good parts on it to sell off and recover your investment should it turn out to be unfixable (unlikely).

You can spend a few weeks and really pretty the thing up, too......if the looks bother you. That's what I did with mine. I bought mine as a serious summer project for 800.00......and have spent another 2500.00 and a lot of elbow grease to get it where it is. I had no rigging costs because it was close to my home and I was able to borrow a 20,000 pound lift. You can look on Practical Machinist and see what I've been through with mine. There are two threads and both pretty current. There are some pretty sharp guys over there, too.....and a few of them have lots of spare parts for these older machines.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MazakQT20n.jpg  

Michaelthomas-

Can you give me any pointers on the QuickTurn lathes?

I just picked up a QT 15, and it is complete with a high pressure coolant pump and the chip conveyor.

I am still trying to shoe horn it into it's final home, so it is not powered up at this time. Is there anything I should look for before I power it up for the first time?

Steve

I actually don't have a whole lot of experience with these things. I just got mine about 4 months ago, and have been doing nothing but repairing it.....and cleaning and painting.

I've waded through a spindle drive repair, spindle drive card repair, lots of shorts, a few open circuits, new seals and bearings in the chuck actuator, gearbox repair, couple of other control cards, plenty of transistor arrays, etc......lol. Its been a ride, and it's not necessarily over.

Clearly, I have more time than money.

I can say that the Mazatrol is pretty intuitive from what I've seen thus far.

Probably should change out the fluids, and make sure the automatic oiler is getting oil to everywhere it should. New belts are cheap......125.00 or so.

If you have a specific question, I may be able to help......but I wouldn't count on it.....lol.

Sorry,

Mike

Be sure to check the rotation of the hydraulic motor first thing. You get that right the pumps should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    Michaelthomas-

Can you give me any pointers on the QuickTurn lathes?

I just picked up a QT 15, and it is complete with a high pressure coolant pump and the chip conveyor.

I am still trying to shoe horn it into it's final home, so it is not powered up at this time. Is there anything I should look for before I power it up for the first time?

Steve

I actually don't have a whole lot of experience with these things. I just got mine about 4 months ago, and have been doing nothing but repairing it.....and cleaning and painting.

I've waded through a spindle drive repair, spindle drive card repair, lots of shorts, a few open circuits, new seals and bearings in the chuck actuator, gearbox repair, couple of other control cards, plenty of transistor arrays, etc......lol. Its been a ride, and it's not necessarily over.

Clearly, I have more time than money.

I can say that the Mazatrol is pretty intuitive from what I've seen thus far.

Probably should change out the fluids, and make sure the automatic oiler is getting oil to everywhere it should. New belts are cheap......125.00 or so.

If you have a specific question, I may be able to help......but I wouldn't count on it.....lol.

Sorry,

Mike
    Thanks Mike Will use your wisdom. Hey how did you diagnos it needed card or board repair ??

Larry

It seems like a decent deal if you are confident that you can fix it yourself.

The machine scrap value is about 1000.00 to 1200.00.

It appears to have a chip conveyor, too.......although it makes no mention if it is included. Would be great if it came with it.

Rigging and moving costs can add up quick, so be sure to check that out first.

It looks a hell of a lot nicer physically than the machine I bought. If I was close enough to pick it up myself......and needed another machine.....I would probably get it.....although the T-1 control is supposed to be lacking compared to the T-2.

If he doesn't have the manuals, they will cost you 750.00 from Mazak.

I'm sure the machine has enough good parts on it to sell off and recover your investment should it turn out to be unfixable (unlikely).

You can spend a few weeks and really pretty the thing up, too......if the looks bother you. That's what I did with mine. I bought mine as a serious summer project for 800.00......and have spent another 2500.00 and a lot of elbow grease to get it where it is. I had no rigging costs because it was close to my home and I was able to borrow a 20,000 pound lift. You can look on Practical Machinist and see what I've been through with mine. There are two threads and both pretty current. There are some pretty sharp guys over there, too.....and a few of them have lots of spare parts for these older machines.

Mike
    Mike I like your machine looks brand new!! Do you plan on contract machining ?? might have you turn some items.

Larry

Thanks.....I had a good time working on it this summer. I would have had a hard time getting a machine like it if I had to buy a working one outright. Buying a junker and fixing it up was the only way I could afford it.

I will do any machining that will turn a profit.....lol. Probably won't have it making chips in my shop until spring. I did all the work at my friends shop, since he had 3 phase power.......but its getting moved to my place in the next few weeks. I'm saving up for a Phase Perfect for my shop, and that may take a few months.

As far as diagnosing trouble....for me it was a mix of technical phone advice from Mitsubishi, and just plain digging in and doing a lot of ladder checking and using the diagnostic screen.

You must have the electrical manual with the ladder diagrams to get anywhere.

There is a lot on the web about how to read a ladder. The diagnostic screen will go hand in hand with the ladder. You will have to type in specific addresses from the ladder that will call up inputs and outputs to see what is working or what isn't.....which will help to narrow down trouble.

If you have the money to just send stuff in for diagnosis and repair, then things can be pretty easy.

If your on a shoestring like me......you may have to do some serious studying......unless you already have an electronics background. Just the spindle drive and spindle drive card repair was way more than I have into my whole machine......so it wasn't an option for me. I was lucky as there were just some transistor arrays that cost a couple bucks each to replace. Mits would have charged me a $4500.00 flat fee to repair the spindle drive, and another 400.00 for the drive card. I spent about 30.00 for the transistors and some sockets. But again......I got lucky that what was wrong was something that I was able to diagnose with my limited electronics background.

Mike

Mike-

I finally am able to get power to the T2 controller on my QT15.

Most of the buttons on the user interface respond with a LED that lights up when I press the button, but the CRT has nothing but "SNOW" on the screen.

I left the QT15 powered up for about 3 hr. hoping this would charge the PLC batteries. But nothing happened.

I also reseated all the boards.

Do you have any idea what would cause the CRT to not work?

If the batteries died, and the PLC lost its program, would this happen?

Steve

My batteries were all completely dead, but my monitor worked......so I don't think that is the problem. I would replace all of the batteries anyway, though. Try this link. About 12.00 each. http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...6V+320MAH+NIMH

After I had my machine a few weeks.....my monitor quit working. Not like yours, though. Mine showed nothing.

There are two plugs on the back of the monitor, one is the 100v AC.....and I suppose the other is the signal wire bundle. Mine had no AC power going to it. I traced the AC line back to the control. It was grouped together with the input AC for 3 fans mounted under the control that were all dead. I removed the dead fans and reattached the wires......and power was restored.

I think they other wire and plug comes from the user interface keyboard card on the back of the door of the monitor housing.

I would start by checking all connections. I was surprised at how many poor ones I had. I had mice living in my control for a long time......so they caused some bad things.