587,473 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Crazy TTS to 3-JAW Chuck adapter

Crazy TTS to 3-JAW Chuck adapter

Your thoughts please on this crazy adapter idea:

I found this 3/8" shaft to 3/4-16 stainless steel adapter below from High Tech Systems LLC:

Would like to attach my 3" Sherline 3 Jaw Chuck (3/4-16 thread) on one end and a Tormach TTS adapter (3/8" bore set screw holder) on the other end.

Do you think the adapter is strong enough? My mill is an X3 with 2K RPM. I would be machining aluminum and plastic with the chuck.

I'm essentially trying to make this Tormach TTS boring arbor below but with a 3/4-16 thread instead of the stock 7/8-20 thread.

Another thought is maybe buy the Tormach adapter and have someone machine the 7/8-20 thread into a 3/4-16 thread. Is this pratical for some with a lathe to do and how much would it probably cost? Any takers (please PM)?

THanks!

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

TTS in collet, adapter in TTS, chuck on adapter, and stock in chuck.... sounds like a recipe for problems. I would not be at all comfortable doing any work in a TTS adapted lathe chuck since pull-out becomes an issue on larger tools. Anything beyond 3/4" stock would make me really nervous. Using the set-screw holder would likely make for a horrible cutting experience with AL with the kind of flex that arrangement would look to have

That said, Tormach makes a 'soft' TTS blank that could be machined to the 3/4-16 thread easy enough.

Machinable TTS Blank
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    TTS in collet, adapter in TTS, chuck on adapter, and stock in chuck.... sounds like a recipe for problems. I would not be at all comfortable doing any work in a TTS adapted lathe chuck since pull-out becomes an issue on larger tools. Anything beyond 3/4" stock would make me really nervous. Using the set-screw holder would likely make for a horrible cutting experience with AL with the kind of flex that arrangement would look to have

That said, Tormach makes a 'soft' TTS blank that could be machined to the 3/4-16 thread easy enough.

Machinable TTS Blank
    Thanks. Machining the TTS blank is the way to go. It would be stronger than using the 3/8" to 3/4-16 adapter kludge that could shear off during something like a machine crash.

I would not even do the chuck mounted directly on the TTS adapter. On top of that, the TTS adapter may be hardened. Even if it isn't, the TTS is $43 and by the time you pay someone to re-machine the threads you will have more into it than the chuck in the picture below. Here is a link to the e-bay ad. It is only $89

4" 3 Jaw R8 Collet Chuck New w Wrench | eBay

Something like that is the only way I would mount a lathe chuck on a mill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $T2eC16dHJIIE9qTYLh+ZBQnnC2CcQ!~~60_3.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    I would not even do the chuck mounted directly on the TTS adapter. On top of that, the TTS adapter may be hardened. Even if it isn't, the TTS is $43 and by the time you pay someone to re-machine the threads you will have more into it than the chuck in the picture below. Here is a link to the e-bay ad. It is only $89

4" 3 Jaw R8 Collet Chuck New w Wrench | eBay

Something like that is the only way I would mount a lathe chuck on a mill.
    Thanks for the link. I was going to buy a similar R8 chuck from Shars with a good TIR (1 thou)

shars.com - 4quot Three Jaw Precision Chuck amp R8 Adaptor

but I converted my mill to use a power drawbar/TTS system and can no longer easily remove the R8 collet.

The power drawbar/TTS system is awesome but now I want a convenient small 3" chuck attachment for it. The Sherline chuck is actually pretty small.

Using something the size and weight of a chuck, even a small one, with TTS is begging for an accident. Using it with a screw-on adaptor makes the idea aboue 10X crazier - acceleration and deceleration as the spindle changes speed, could easily cause the adaptor to unscrew. Never mind that the cutting forces along, with such a long lever arm, are almost guaranteed to cause pull-out of the TTS shank. I don't think that would EVER be allowed in a real machine shop. Do you really want to see that chuck come off at even a few hundred RPM? JUST ONE TIME, I had a TTS holder pull out - just a set-screw holder with a 1/2" endmill - and it scared the hell out of me, thinking of the damage it could do if it came all the way out.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Using something the size and weight of a chuck, even a small one, with TTS is begging for an accident. Using it with a screw-on adaptor makes the idea aboue 10X crazier - acceleration and deceleration as the spindle changes speed, could easily cause the adaptor to unscrew. Never mind that the cutting forces along, with such a long lever arm, are almost guaranteed to cause pull-out of the TTS shank. I don't think that would EVER be allowed in a real machine shop. Do you really want to see that chuck come off at even a few hundred RPM? JUST ONE TIME, I had a TTS holder pull out - just a set-screw holder with a 1/2" endmill - and it scared the hell out of me, thinking of the damage it could do if it came all the way out.

Regards,
    Ray L.