588,073 active members*
5,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Mill Memory

I have a couple of questions regards memory specs on a new CNC purchase. The HAAS machines come with 1MB of memory, expandable to 750mb for $1500. 1MB sure doesn't sound like a lot in today's world, but for machine purposes, I do not know if its one of those things where it is considered as "plenty enough" or if manufacturers purposely drive them down to make all buyers buy the option.

I have a software programming/html/database/computer IT background, but I have yet to examine the memory requirement when it comes to CNC machining. Looks like G-Code is whats most commonly used, but I have no idea how to evaluate how much memory is actually needed for workpieces. Can someone point me to some basic high level literature so I can have a look?

Thanks

If you are going to be doing 3D contouring, you will use up a lot of memory. It is worth the initial investment because, unlike PC's, the memory never gets cheaper.
    My $0.02 (USD)
    DG

If you expand later, would the price go up significantly?
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

The price may not go up significantly, but if you have it installed after purchase, you can add the price of a service call by the dealer.
    On several controls, you cannot simply add a memory module. You must back up the machine parameters, etc. and replace the existing module to expand the memory. Of course, the equipment and/or software to do so is proprietary so it must be done by the dealer or control manufacturer.
    DG

Thanks Much!! I went with the 1MB option, in analyzing Gcode I realize it isn't all that much gcode in the type of work we're doing to do =)