587,316 active members*
3,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Acuracy

Acuracy

I was looking at the orca on youtube and see some of the pieces it made.

black-anodised-orca030.MTS - YouTube!

I was looking for a solution to print panels with some details for cheaper than a cnc. I noticed its not very smooth. I was wondering who is building something that can do the most acurate molding for under 1k. Does not have to a huge print area. I have been searching for answers all mourning so I thought i would just ask. I use to repair industrial machinery, never ran a cnc tho. And I am quite good with 3d modeling. So this makes more sense to me.

Suggest you put a 3D model of the type of part you envisage making. The problem with this type of machine is the build up is from melted plastic on to solidifying (cooling) layer on layer. Hence the finish is not very smooth. A more industrial process uses a tank of resin and lasers beams to cure the resin where several beams meet. Your $1K indicates you are talking laying down the 'print' layer on layer.

Regards - Pat

For under 1k forget it that machine does not exist, these low budget 3-D printers are aimed at the hobby level user they are not very accurate and they are also slow. There are currently several methods of additive manufacturing (this is what they are calling it now) Actually the resin method is a bit outdated compared to some of the other things they have out. You are looking in the 10k range to get any kind of decent accurate results. CNC may still be the less expensive way to go I would have to see exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish. 3-D printers are gaining ground no doubt about it but they have a long way to go yet and the machines that are getting closest are also machines that are up in the 30k to 40k range. I have done quite a lot of research on this because I am considering one for my company. I have seen first hand models created for me by stratasys and they were very nice 3D Printers & 3D Production Systems | Stratasys Products but they were created on a machine that cost 20k and the material cost is in the area of 60 bucks a cubic inch so I think you still may be better off with CNC depending on what the part looks like.

Joesz.. did you ever buy a machine? I'm considering a Stratsys now myself.