Quote Originally Posted by abec1971 View Post
Skullworks,
You're right on with the G9972Z being a better choice. The only problem is that I need to get that lathe down a stariway with a 90 degree turn at the end.
Gravity can be a huge help here. Seriously it would be a lot worst going up hill.
The machine only weight is 490 lbs for the G9972Z (330 lbs for the G0602 and 268 lbs for the South Bend), even if I remove the tailstock etc., that might be a daunting task.
The only safe way to move a larger lathe down such stairs would be to disassemble it as much as possible. Unfortunately due to the design of most lathes this doesn't partition the weight as nicely as taking apart a mill might. However taking off the the stuff hanging off the bed makes the bed more regular and easier to handle. Still you will be talking about more than 300 pounds as such it really is a two man job.
Ofcourse, having a feed gearbox may well be worth a few hours of struggle.....decisions, decisions....
Having a 9x20 id have to say that the gearbox isn't the big deal. Rather the heavier construction and slightly bigger capacity are the real attractions for the larger lathe. You are probably talking 50% more mass. I say probably because you need to remember part of the weight quoted will include things like the tail stock, tooling and stuff that is not always fastened to the lathe.

As a point of reference I moved both a 9x20 and a 16" bandsaw into my cellar alone. Even though the bandsaw was "bigger" it was far easier to move into the cellar as it slide easily down the stairs (after removing much of the iron). The lathe certainly felt like more work. First I had to put it on a two wheel truck and feed it down the stairs from above. That in itself adds a bit of stress, however the the irregular nature of the lathe made it more of a struggle to keep everything going as planned. If I had to send a bigger lathe down a set of steps with a 90 degree turn I'd certainly want some help and a better truck. In that regard one of those refrigerator trucks might be just the nuts.

Sadly I was in a lot better shape back then, this is another consideration that can't be dismissed, you really need to evaluate your physical condition before going on such a venture. The physical nature of any help too. Experience moving heavy crap doesn't hurt either.

Long term I have some things I'd like to get and eventually move into my shop. This has lead me to think seriously about cutting part of the basement wall and putting in a set of bilco cellar entrance doors. At least then I could rent a crane or borrow an engine picker or other tool to drop in the tools. I guess it is a question of how serious you are about your shop and the desire to save ones back.