587,201 active members*
2,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC4PC C11 Card and Huanyang VFD

I recently decided to upgrade to a bigger spindle motor with a VFD (HUANYANG), controlled by a cnc4pc c11 card. After a steep learning curve and some other issues I finally got the VFD set and the elusive +10V analog output out of the c11 to control the motor speed. As far as I can see, when I increased/decrease the spindle speed in Mach3, I can measure the voltage going up and down, as well as the frequency in the VFD, but the motor does no turn.
    I can operate the motor manually using the VFD panel, but when I try to operate it remotely with the analog input, it doesn't. I know that there's got to be a PD setting that needs to be changed, but I cannot figure it out. Anyone...please!

I've seen that quite a few people have read my post...please I need help...I am dead in the water!

Thanks,

VFD

Quote Originally Posted by Lasr Da Vinci View Post
    I've seen that quite a few people have read my post...please I need help...I am dead in the water!

Thanks,
    On the VFD's I've worked on, there is a Start/stop set of terminals and a Safeties set of terminals. These must be activated. Start/stop from a relay contact and just short together the Safeties.

Hope that this helps.

Please post your wiring diagram and some pictures.
    We need more information to help you.
    Also the Mach3 spindle settings you have used.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Did you make the reqired settign on the VFD for remote operation? If yes, are you getting the voltage signals on the VFD (at the terminals). Do you have the wires connected to AV (hot) and ACM (common). That was my last problem, I had miswired the common signal.
    This is all from memory so check your VFD manual for the correct terminal numbers on the voltage input.
    Good luck.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

The VFD works fine manually, either using the keypad or potentiometer (by changing the jumper settings from 1-2 to 2-3 and viceversa)
    Mach 3 is setup according to the C11 card instructions. the +10V analog voltage output goes up and down according to the M3 S value (S24000= +10V, S12000= +5V).
    When these output signal is connected to the VFD input ACM (negative) and VI (positive), I can see the frequency on the VFD display changing from F400.00 when the spindle is set to S24000 on Mach3, and it goes down as I lower it on Mach3. That's why I think that I am missing some simple setting on the VFD.

As far as I know, the VFD settings for remote operation are:
    Jumpers: pins 1-2 shorted (VI)
    PD001 is set to 1
    PD002 is set to 1
    PD070 is set to 0
    PD071 is set to 20
    PD072 is set to 400hz
    PD073 is set to 0hz

P38nut,

Do you have an schematic for shorting the safeties you mention?

Thanks,

Gustavo

Divide the problem.
    Get a pot and put speed signal direct into the VFD using the diagram in the VFD manual.
    And put a few switches as per the diagram.
    Then confirm all the VFD settings, and write them down.
    Is the VFD new? If not restore all the factory defaults. Who knows what was setup in it.
    You must select external operation using settings in the VFD manual to get any senses out of external wiring.
    Once you can operate it remotely, then hook up the C11 (awful thing it is).
    You will need to change a few settings in the VFD to get the Mach3 speed to match what the VFD is doing.
    It would appear that you have the speed signal OK, but the stop/start/reverse pins not doing what is intended.

Yup, another thing I forgot to mention. You must also jumper (or use a relay) for the +10 volts on the forward or reverse pin. I doin't have a manual handy but there should be a for and rev pin that needs the +10 from the inverter to operate. Let me know if you can't find the correct pins and I'll download another manual and confirm that I'm just not getting senile!
    Bill
    billyjack

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Yup, another thing I forgot to mention. You must also jumper (or use a relay) for the +10 volts on the forward or reverse pin. I doin't have a manual handy but there should be a for and rev pin that needs the +10 from the inverter to operate. Let me know if you can't find the correct pins and I'll download another manual and confirm that I'm just not getting senile!
    Bill
    I think that this is the step that I am missing.
    I am looking at the wiring terminal diagram, and I see the FOR & REV terminals. Are these the ones that need to be jumped for the +10V? Could you please tell me how to do this? I am a newbie, and I'm learning as I go!
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you are not using spindle direction control via the C11 card, then just jump +10 to the foward terminal. If you are using the relays for direction control, connect the +10v to the common terminal on the C11 card (common for the relays not power common) and connect the forward/reverse terminals of the C11 card respectively. Don't forget to set up Mach as directed in the C11 manual. Hope this works for you!
    Bill
    billyjack

wiring drawing

Quote Originally Posted by Lasr Da Vinci View Post
    P38nut,

Do you have an schematic for shorting the safeties you mention?

Thanks,

Gustavo
    Take a look at this for your testing purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CropperCapture[238].jpg  

Thank you P38nut for the schematic. I have the vfd manual and I am familiar with that schematic. My +10v is connected to the VI terminal and the negative to the ACM. As per Bill's previous message, it appears that I need to bridge the FOR terminal with the +10v, and I think that that's exactly what I didn't do. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens.

From my experience the +10 volts is nothing to do with the FOR REV terminals, this is for the analogue input speed control, the FOR/REV inputs are just sunk OR contact closure to DCM (common).
    Closing either of these will run the motor at the rate set by the pot or analogue input.
    ACM is the analogue common.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

We got Lift off! I finally got it to work. Jumping FOR and DCM allows me to control speed using the +10V analog input from the C11 card. Thank you very much.

Hi, I am now in the same position you were. I cannot figure out where to connect the 10V output and relays from C11.
    Could you please provide the schematic with which you managed to make it work?

Thanks.

Please provide a schematic

Hi, I am now in the same position you were. I cannot figure out where to connect the 10V output and relays from C11.
    Could you please provide the schematic with which you managed to make it work?

Thanks.

PM Sent.