588,074 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > if its in the house, will it stink?
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Do you use it as mist or as flood? I'm contemplating trying it as a flood.
    KoolMist works OK for flood, though it kinda sucks for drilling. I've been using it for the last year, but want to switch to soluble oil for better drilling performance.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Will it stink? Well I can say if I go play with my mill in my shop for more than half an hour, I get an earfull if I even walk inside the house wearing the same clothes afterwards due to the 'machine shop smell'. Personally I wouldn't even think of having it in the house. (even if I was single lol)

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Do you use it as mist or as flood? I'm contemplating trying it as a flood.
    Flood mixed twice as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Flood mixed twice as strong.
    I use the standard 32:1 mix with no problems.

The other thing I don't like about KoolMist is there seems to be no way to measure concentration. I've tried an optical refractometer, but it reads just like pure water. Amazingly, even KoolMist had no advice to offer on how to measure concentration. So, I end up guessing, just by color, which seems to work OK.

Regards,
    Ray L.

IMO when Coolmist is not used as flood coolant it is dangerous regardless of what the so-called safety sheets say. Any time a coolant is atomized it will be in the air that is breathed. How many of you that advocate the safe use of a mist coolant are tobacco addicts?

Don

I'd be more concerned with the strength of the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    IMO when Coolmist is not used as flood coolant it is dangerous regardless of what the so-called safety sheets say. Any time a coolant is atomized it will be in the air that is breathed. How many of you that advocate the safe use of a mist coolant are tobacco addicts?

Don
    So your position is the KoolMist MSDS is a complete fabrication? And you make this accusation based purely on your (presumably non-expert) opinion, with no scientific data to back it up?

Besides, a mist system, properly used, does not put any significant amount of mist in the air, other than within a few inches of the target, where no person should be anyway, for purely safety reasons. I used KoolMist in a home-made FogBuster for years, and never once had ANY side-effects. In fact, I don't believe I ever breathed any of it - no feel, no smell, no taste, no perceptible increase in shop humidity, no nothing. A piece of paper placed 6" from the target would not even get the slightest bit damp. Used properly, the stream that comes out is invisible, and completely evaporates in seconds, leaving no trace.

Regards,
    Ray L.

uhhhh, ray.... things evaporate.... into the air.... that you breath.... just so you know. And you've certainly breathed in a ton of that stuff unless you are venting it somewhere- it doesn't just "disappear". But I do believe that it is probably harmless and there are few if any side effects.

Bob Lee Swagger: Suppose I was looking for man who could make a 2200 yard cold bore shot, who's alive that could do that?

Mr. Rate: Seems I heard about a shot like that being made not too long ago, said the guy's name was Bob Lee Swagger. Never met the man, so I wouldn't know.

Bob Lee Swagger: Ya, they said that alright.

Mr. Rate: They also said that artificial sweeteners were safe, WMDs were in Iraq and Anna Nicole married for love.

Sadly, Don, it doesn't make you go blind.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Sadly, Don, it doesn't make you go blind.

I have used Coolmist but don't like to breath the stuff. In fact I still have the Coolmist setup. Nowadays I use a Vortec cold air gun where flood coolant is not practical to use such as on my manual lathe or using my bandsaw vertically. Besides flood coolant keeps my parts thermally stable.

I don’t have to scientifically prove anything to anyone. I am just not going to not expose my body to substances that are what I believe are harmful. I don’t use tobacco, don’t drink coffee, don’t eat refined sugar, and avoid genetically modified foods despite the fact that Monsanto, Dow, and our government say GMO foods are perfectly safe. The same government that says tobacco, the deadliest, most addictive drug in the US is legal also has cannabis classified as a schedule I controlled substance. So go figure.

Don

Talking

And I was NOT referring to the coolant. Hairy palms?
    touché

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    And I was NOT referring to the coolant. Hairy palms?
    When I was a kid in parochial school they also claimed that BS about going blind and hairy palms. In my mid thirties I was tested and had 20/13 uncorrected vision so go figure. Also when reading eye charts I could read the very fine print of who manufactured the chart.

Don

What do you mean by "in the house". In the garage? Basement? A bedroom? In the case of the garage, not a problem IMO. In the basement, you could get cutting oil smells, or smells from the coolant, etc., wafting up into the house. In any other room, you would have to think more about machine support. I would personally not even consider putting a machine like that in the house but if I did, I would go into the basement and build support walls under the location of the machine. As for having a shop in the house, my father had a lathe and mill in our basement for many years and never had a problem. The shop was walled off from the rest of the house with an insulated exterior grade door separating it from the rest of the house. He also had an exhaust fan in one of the basement windows. In all the years he had that shop down there I don't ever remember there being a smell problem in the rest of the house.

As for the comment about hair - We are worried about hair??? Seriously!!! Hair getting on a ballscrew is going to be worse than say a bit of stainless steel swarf, or how about cast iron swarf? The suggestion that hair is going to be a problem is in my opinion a bunch of BS. There is a whole lot more stuff floating around my workshop that could hurt a machine tool far worse than hair and I don't wear a hair net when running my machine. Grinding dust, sanding dust, dust dust (far more than in the house), etc. in a typical shop are going to be far worse than hair.

As for the dogs and cats tangent, I have both. My dog doesn't crap in the yard, he goes into the surrounding farm fields; however he does lick his rear, his balls and anything else on his body he wants to but he doesn't lick me. The cats use the litter box, but don't get on the counter and can be trained as to what they can and can't do contrary to what some might think. In reality the cats serve more of a purpose than the dog because they can catch mice. when you live in the country surrounded by farm fields, mice are a fact of life. All the dog does is eat, sleep, and make me get up and down like a Pogo stick letting him in and out.

I like both cats and dogs and have always had both. They provide affection and entertainment. If you don't like cats or dogs, that's fine with me, but a statement like "there are two kinds of cats in this world. YOURS, AND DEAD ONES" is just downright juvenile. Doesn't matter if you are 15 or 50, it is still a juvenile statement. Further, the statement "Cats have to be the absolute filthiest animals one can have for house pets...." shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Have you ever seen a dog walk right through a pile of his own crap. I have. Does the dog make any attempt to cover his crap? I've never seen it. Does the dog spend most of its waking hours grooming itself like a cat does? Nope. How many times a year do you think I have to give my dog a bath? Once a month on average. How often do I give my cats a bath? Never. How about housebreaking. Months of cleaning crap and piss with a puppy, or just show the kitten the litter box once. When was the last time you saw a cat leave a trail of drool across the floor from the water bowl? Which do I think is the cleaner pet? Unequivocally, the cat. Do I still like my dog? You bet. Would never get rid of him, but your comments are way off base and come from someone who has obviously never had a cat.

I agree cats are cleaner, and Don.... You don't drink a substance that could help prevent cancer, that's to bad. (coffee)

for those of you worried about the mill falling through the floor, many people have no issues with their king size water beds falling through their floors... and they are ~2000lbs

as far cats vs dogs, everyone knows: Dogs Rule!, Cats Drool...

Sure but the bed doesn't usually vibrate as much as the mill.

are you sure about that?

Bed has a much larger surface area...

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    for those of you worried about the mill falling through the floor, many people have no issues with their king size water beds falling through their floors... and they are ~2000lbs

as far cats bs dogs, everyone knows: Dogs Rule!, Cats Drool...
    I wouldn't worry about it going through the floor. I would worry about stability. A residential structure is built to different specifications that a manufacturing type structure. A quick search for the relevant floor loading shows that residential code is 40 psf and light manufacturing is 100 psf. Also, the waterbed has a much larger footprint than the base of a milling machine. Coincidentally, a waterbed puts almost exactly 40 psf load on the floor. A typical waterbed mattress is about 7" thick and is supported under e whole bed so no matter what size bed you talk about, you can look at just one square foot of it and get the floor loading. So 12*12*7=1008 cu in., or 0.583 cu ft. 0.583*62.4=36.4 psf. A tormach 770 weighs 660 pounds without the base, and without any workpiece, vise, etc on top of it. The tormach stand looks to be about 2 ft x 3 ft for roughly 6 sq ft to support it. 660/6=110 psf and you haven't even counted the stand let alone put anything on the table. The milling machine also is going to vibrate like crazy which is going to result in very limited use since that vibration is going to translate into noise in the rest of the house.

Also, dogs are the ones that drool. Every dog I have had has drooled, but none of the cats ever have. As said I like me both.

Page 2 of 3 123