588,620 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 14 45678
    Some progress on the Z-axis assembly. Everything is there except the y-axis rack and pinion drive and the limit switch mounts.

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-11-10 19.13.05.jpg   2012-11-10 19.13.14.jpg   2012-11-10 19.13.33.jpg   2012-11-10 19.13.58.jpg  

2012-11-10 19.14.14.jpg   2012-11-10 19.14.20.jpg  

Tested the servos last night and have made good progress on the computer to run the machine. I decided to run LinuxCNC instead of Mach mainly because all the other machines I've been using at the Club Workshop are running LinuxCNC and I've gotten familiar with its setup. I know it complicates the control a bit but I will start running it in open loop Step and Direction like Mach would be setup. Later I may try to get LinuxCNC to take over the PID stuff. Not sure it's possible with the DMM-Tech setup.

The servos are moving with the tuning software that comes from DMM-Tech. The servos are really quiet compared to steppers I run on my hot wire CNC.

I haven't gotten them moving through LinuxCNC yet. Lots of setup left to do before I try. :drowning: I just got the computer built and Ubuntu installed. I went with a Intel mini-ITX board with parallel port and an I3 low power processor.

Andrew

Looks good. Sometimes it is good to use a dedicated parallel port add on card. That way if something glitches, you just loose a low cost board rather than the whole motherboard.

The Z looks great. I'm wondering however how much performance you're going to sacrifice running the servos under Linux, given the limitations of the paralllel port. I'm sure yopu can get it running as the DMM drives accept step and direction, but it doesn[t seem to me like you'll be unlocking the full potential of your machine. At least with Mach3 you have the option of using an external pulse generator, which seems to be a tougher task for Linux and USB or even Ethernet. Either way you won't get closed loop feedback to the PC, so if anything it seems to me LunuxCNC will be a hindrance... admittedly, I haven't kept up with it in a while, biut I'd rather have the comfprt of knowing I can be up and running easily rather than tping with settings and configurations....

What a great Z axis. Looks absolutely wonderful considering the low profile. What rails did you use?

The only thing I see is the spindle is mounted to high in the mount. The lower the spindle is in the mount itself less likely for it to move.

Rails are Hiwin medium duty 15mm purchased from Automation4less.com

The z-axis took me a while to get drawn up and then I made modifications to make it even more compact. It came out pretty sweet in the end.

The spindle mount is adjustable and the spindle is not in it's final position. You are correct moving it would lessen the moment arm but there is a tradeoff in travel maximization.

Small progress update. I'm working on the y-axis parts and hope to make more progress this weekend. Racks are here and I'm working spacer/mount design. I plan on using 1/4" steel plate and well the racks to it and then attach the assembly to the rest of the machine with bolts.

Last weekend I took a MIG welding class and think I can handle tacking the racks. This week I went to a powder coating demo. It pays to live close to the ClubWorkshop.com :idea:

Andrew

If you are on Facebook you can follow the build updated there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/Canuck.Engineer

Lots of pictures of the build as well as other projects.

Your build looks great. It is making me think about a steel frame for my next build as well.

Keep up the good work.
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Hey mate I am also using those motors with my home made gantry setup.
    Currently I have my whole system working, with MACH3, but am lacking a CAM package just wanted to find out what your using and how your liking it?
    I have only the experience of building my steel parts on my uncles machine with SolidEdge but think its a bit expensive for my liking, I also want to go the 5 axis route later.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMatt View Post
    Hey mate I am also using those motors with my home made gantry setup.
    Currently I have my whole system working, with MACH3, but am lacking a CAM package just wanted to find out what your using and how your liking it?
    I have only the experience of building my steel parts on my uncles machine with SolidEdge but think its a bit expensive for my liking, I also want to go the 5 axis route later.
    I'm using CAM software call MadCam. Its an add on type for Rhino 3D. I like it a lot. Before this one I was using Visual Mill stand alone but was having issues with it. Mainly the issues were because the computer was a POS. The computer was in the Club Workshop so I couldn't do much to fix it. MadCam is simpler to use by a factor of 10x for most of the parts I'm making.

Update: Build has slowed down due to orders coming in and me burning up some of my HSS cutters trying to mill over a weld joint. I've picked up some carbide cutter but have yet to try again. Maybe this week I'll finish that last part.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by the_canuck View Post
    I'm using CAM software call MadCam. Its an add on type for Rhino 3D. I like it a lot. Before this one I was using Visual Mill stand alone but was having issues with it. Mainly the issues were because the computer was a POS. The computer was in the Club Workshop so I couldn't do much to fix it. MadCam is simpler to use by a factor of 10x for most of the parts I'm making.

Update: Build has slowed down due to orders coming in and me burning up some of my HSS cutters trying to mill over a weld joint. I've picked up some carbide cutter but have yet to try again. Maybe this week I'll finish that last part.

Andrew
    Get your hand grinder out to clean up the area round the welds. You will continue to tear up bits on a weld since it is harder than the steel. Now you might be able to clean them up at a very light passes with the bit

Looks great. What are you expecting for a rapid speed on you Z-axis? That looks like a pretty fine pitch ballscrew.

The weld is the joint on the 2 x 3 1/4" wall tubes I have. I mistakenly started to cut on the wrong side. I'm hoping carbide end mills will work better than the HSS for this. I'll try again this week. I cut the dept of cut by half to 1/32 of an inch. I'm cutting a flat surface to mount the linear bearing for the 2nd y-axis main rail. The first one cut fine with HSS end mill but I was on the opposite side from the weld joint.

If I mess up another cutter, I'll start over and make sure I cut on the correct side on the second try part.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by kevincnc View Post
    Looks great. What are you expecting for a rapid speed on you Z-axis? That looks like a pretty fine pitch ballscrew.
    Servo's are 1,000 rpm max so not too worried about max Z speeds. It is fine pitch but that keeps me from having to have a break or spring to keep the spindle from falling when power is off.

Andrew

Finally more progress.

After fighting with the mill for a couple weeks and waiting for parts and more end mills, I finished up the last major milling job on the last major part for the machine.

Tonight I started to dry fit all the y-axis parts. Still a few manual drilling and tapping to do but finally seeing progress.

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130213_211656.jpg   20130213_211646.jpg  

More progress on the y-axis assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-02-18 11.33.23.jpg   2013-02-18 11.33.14.jpg  

It's really coming together. It looks great, I can't wait to see it run.

My redesigned gantry will be very similar to your design.
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by the_canuck View Post
    More progress on the y-axis assembly.
    That looks really sturdy I am a bit envious of the linear bearings.

Are you planning to connect the top and bottom gantry tubes with a diagonal brace (or a thin sheet metal front plate)? Not sure if necessary but then you would not solely rely on the bolts of the shear plates.

Right now, I'm not going to add a plate but later if I encounter an issue I might. The cross pieces are 2"x3"x1/4" steel tubes and are pretty sturdy. Each end is attached with 6 bolts (4 back side, and 2 front side). The triangle support has 2 bolt attaching it to the x-axis plate and the back plate also have 2 bolts each.

I'm using 1/4"x3/4" 28 bolts and torquing them down pretty good.

I've spent most of the day so far on the y-axis and have the right side all done and have started in on the left. I have a few more hand drill holes to drill after aligning everything.

Andrew

Page 6 of 14 45678