587,196 active members*
3,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My machines

My machines

Several years ago I built my first CNC machine. I used Mike Wallach's plans. It was made of HDPE and Delrin. Had a combined BOB and driver board from dtllc. I learned a lot about Mach3, unipolar drivers/steppers, homing switches. What a learning curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0017.jpg  

next machine

The 3 years ago came my next machine. 8020, geckodrives, 906 oz/in steppers. 60 in X axis, 22 in Y axis, 8 inch Z axis. and recently a 4th rotary axis. Cuts Corian, lexan great. Cuts my aluminum clamps fantastically.

First machine looks great, second machine sounds even better. I can relate to you when you say learning curve, I can only hope the curve flattens out one of these days. I started with a machine that was already/partially built from my father after he passed, so I had to do alot of reverse engineering. But the assembly process opened my eyen to this wonderful world. Good luck with all of your projects.

My 2nd machine pictures

I will post pictures as soon as I reduce the size. My first one had 1/2" ground rod for rails, delrin bushings to ride on them. 1/4-20 all thread on the screws. Unipolar BOB/driver with 50 watt ballast resistors. All driven by Mach3. First cut was road runner. X axis went in the wrong direction. All powered from 2 computer power supplys putting out 24vdc@ 20 amps. Small round 120 oz-in steppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex62 View Post
    3 decades ago came my next device. 8020, geckodrives, 906 oz/in steppers. 60 in X axis, 22 in Y axis, 8 inches Z axis. and lately a 4th turning axis. Reduces Corian, lexan excellent. Reduces my metal clamps extremely.. . .
    Can't tell if you're mocking me or not?:stickpoke

Quote Originally Posted by p38nut View Post
    Can't tell if you're mocking me or not?:stickpoke
    That's a spam bot. It copies a line in a recent post and makes a new post with it. It usually goes back a few posts to copy one

You can click on the red and white triangle to the right of the list of posts and report it. I just put spam bot in the report and they soon disappear.

Seems like a stupid thing to do, but I suppose they could be worse.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

spam bot

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    That's a spam bot. It copies a line in a recent post and makes a new post with it. It usually goes back a few posts to copy one

You can click on the red and white triangle to the right of the list of posts and report it. I just put spam bot in the report and they soon disappear.

Seems like a stupid thing to do, but I suppose they could be worse.
    Thanks.

Pictures

Here are the pictures of my 2nd machine as promised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-100_0003.JPG   mini-100_0006.JPG   mini-100_1174.JPG   mini-100_1175.JPG  

mini-100_1176.JPG   mini-100_1177.JPG  

More pictures

as promised
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-100_1178.JPG   mini-100_1179.JPG   mini-100_1180.JPG  

That looks like a lot of fun!

How have you found the rigidity of the second machine?
    what cutting speeds and rapids have you achieved?

I would love to set up a 4th axis myself
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Master of nun View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun!

How have you found the rigidity of the second machine?
    what cutting speeds and rapids have you achieved?

I would love to set up a 4th axis myself
    Originally I had the machine mounted on a would table I built. Head was very stable. With the new aluminum one, the gantry flexs slightly. Since I do wood, corian, and lexan it is not a problem. Nothing to close tolerances.

4th axis is built from Taig parts from Nicholas Carter. Only thing custom is the Taig headstock to stepper plate.

I run the Hitachi 12mvc with the adjustable speed and run at mostly 100 ipm. I really don't need to go faster, but it will do it.