587,497 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Recomenadtions for a Cam package

Recomenadtions for a Cam package

Hi all,

I'm looking for any recomendations on a Cam package. We have AutoCad 200 for cad software, which is hard to 3d anything in.

Here are the requirments:

• 2 1/2 D, drill, tap, profile, slot etc
    • Price, under $5,000
    • No yearly maintenance fee
    • Multiple parts
    • Peel milling & Trochoidal Milling for roughing passes
    • Fanuc and Fadal mills

The $5,000 applies for Cam plus any Cad if you think it's neded (Cad plus Cam less than $5,000).

Thanks for any and all replies. Cheers.
    Don
    Still working in the "D".

It looks like you aren't needing 3d modeling, but yet your comment mentions Autocad not being good 3d software.

I would suggest Alibre for 3d CAD, and for 2.5d stuff only, you might look at Dolphin CAD/CAM. Their software is easy and I believe it fits all of your needs. I import from Alibre to Dolphin all the time and with their v11 software, it has a 3d IGES reader/importer.

You can get into both software packages for around $600-$1500 depending on the options you want to have.

Wade

Wow, under 5K, you may want to look at Bobcad. I prefer GibbsCam myself but it is pricey.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalZilla View Post
    Wow, under 5K, you may want to look at Bobcad. I prefer GibbsCam myself but it is pricey.
    I've heard way too many bad things about BobCad. On all CNC forums!

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    It looks like you aren't needing 3d modeling, but yet your comment mentions Autocad not being good 3d software.

I would suggest Alibre for 3d CAD, and for 2.5d stuff only, you might look at Dolphin CAD/CAM. Their software is easy and I believe it fits all of your needs. I import from Alibre to Dolphin all the time and with their v11 software, it has a 3d IGES reader/importer.

You can get into both software packages for around $600-$1500 depending on the options you want to have.

Wade
    Your right, my statement is a bit confusing, I don't need 3D modeling. I could import a 2D DXF file in from Acad I guess. Actually I would prefer this as I draw really fast in Acad, plus all my fixtures and parts are all ready drawn.

Thanks

Then I would suggest you look at Dolphin CAD/CAM (Dolphin CAD/CAM CNC Software). It's fast and easy to use and 2.5d stuff. I've done some really complicated parts with it. It also does have some "z-axis profiling" options. It's not true 3 axis, but it's darn close.

Wade

I personally use Draftsight for cad http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...-cad-software/ and it is free you only have to register it.
    For cam, I use Sheetcam www.sheetcam.com and is currently priced at $195 and has excellent support in the area of post processors and overall support by the author.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

personally i would recommend using the money to pick up a seat of SolidWorks standard. that would give you great 3D modeling. and the downloading HSMXpress (its free) its a full 2D milling program.

Taking the time to learn 3D parametric modeling when you have no use for it is a waste of time. If you could foresee having use/sales for having SolidWorks, I strongly recommend it, otherwise stick to your AutoCAD (or Draftsight (the free and better version)).

CAM - I used to recommend VisualMill but they went to an "annual release" model and I refused to sucked into that (had enough experience with annuals with SW thanks).
    A good 2.5D SHOULD be cheap and easy, but you will have to play with the Demos.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca