587,615 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

wiring

Quote Originally Posted by AZicuRN View Post
    So I finally have my DIY CNC MDF machine assembled, drivers, power supply, and motor installed (for x-axis only so far). I fired the thing up last night and voila! It works... kind of. The motor squeals and grinds like a pig in a blender. Worse yet, when I got the drivers set up, and mach 3 configured, and I did the step configuration, the axis only moved approx .150 inches when it should have moved a full 1.0 inch.
    Units are set to inches.
    I have configured and reconfigured the parallel port in the BIOS.
    Using most current version of Mach 3.

Screw: .5" 10TPI-Single Start & DumpsterCNC AB Nut
    Motors: Primopal Nema23 180 Holding Torque Inductance 3.5mH Current 3.0A
    Drivers: HY-DIV168N microstep @ 8, current 3.0A, current %50
    Power Supply: 34V
    BOB: 5 axis "blue" chinese board

I really appreciate any help.
    Hi

I have just got the same equipment apart from the psu - can you show your wiring in more detail please - could not find a proper wiring diagram for the bob to the driver boards. - I know a bit cheeky - will test the wiring your way and see if I get the same results.

Regards Tony
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Smile

Ok, I finally solved the problem, but I'm just not quite sure what the problem was.
    Long story short... I rewired the BOB, tried different channels, with no improvement. I installed the PCI parallel port with no difference. So then, I ran Driver Reviver and updated the drivers on my computer... reinstalled Mach3, and also used a 74HCT245 on a breadboard to interface the parallel port directly to the drivers.
    I say all that because I did so much, that I'm not quite sure what the problem was. I was experimenting with the parallel port and the 74HCT245. I set up my breadboard with several different pins from both the control and data ports to light up leds using the 74HCT245. I wrote a simple Qbasic prog to run the LEDs in rapid succession (because I only had one resistor of the value I needed). Everything worked fine in this setup.
    So then, I removed the LEDs and hooked up the wires going from the BOB to the drivers. I ran my qbasic program and the table moved! I then did the driver updates and reinstallation of mach 3 as I said above, and now Mach 3 is moving my x-axis perfectly. It sounds incredible.
    Steps 4000
    IPM 80.00
    Accel 10

Step calculation using settings revealed that when I set to move 2.0" it moved 2.0000 inches (per my caliper) without variation, repeating over and over again.

So if I wire my original BOB back up again and it works, the problem was likely a software/driver problem. If not, then my BOB is junk. Oh well, just glad to have heard the table move last night and know that it CAN work!

Drakkn

I have just got the same equipment apart from the psu - can you show your wiring in more detail please - could not find a proper wiring diagram for the bob to the driver boards. - I know a bit cheeky - will test the wiring your way and see if I get the same results.

Regards Tony
    Parallel port to BOB
    USB to BOB

BOB to Driver:
    XN -- Dir -, Pul -, EN -
    XE -- EN +
    XS -- Pul +
    XD -- Dir +

Great, well done
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....