587,460 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Source for Rebuilt Ball screws and nuts

Source for Rebuilt Ball screws and nuts

Hi

Newbee here. I have bought a homebrew cnc machine built with 1" ball screw with 0.2 ptich. It is driving a wood router's x-axis. I want to expand the machine but I must replace the screw and ball nut. Currently I have a frame to accomodate a 74" screw, but would be happy with a 70"-72" screw. Looking for a reasonable source for reconditioned ball screws. I'm in Cleveland Ohio, but any place within the contenental US and nearby Canada would do.

Steve

Steve,

Can't say I know of any sources for reconditioned units. I have bought several in exactly the size range you are looking for off of eBay. Each was used, but in good shape. My cost for four units averaged $250-$350 (two with bearings/carriers, two without). The only real problem is that they don't show up all that often and you run the risk of being out-bid. I got lucky as the ones I bought were being sold as "lead screws" and not "balls screws". It was enough to keep the vultures away. If you find a source of reconditioned units, please let us know.

Evodyne

Eagle 25 /Rong Fu RF25

Quote Originally Posted by Evodyne
    Steve,

Can't say I know of any sources for reconditioned units. I have bought several in exactly the size range you are looking for off of eBay. Each was used, but in good shape. My cost for four units averaged $250-$350 (two with bearings/carriers, two without). The only real problem is that they don't show up all that often and you run the risk of being out-bid. I got lucky as the ones I bought were being sold as "lead screws" and not "balls screws". It was enough to keep the vultures away. If you find a source of reconditioned units, please let us know.

Evodyne
    Hi Steve, I,m an absolute beginner here,
    Can you advise me of the best setup for my mill/drill conversion would be. I guess 5/8" diameter screw but what pitch ? My Eagle is very much like the Bench mill Rong Fu 25

Many thanks

George

Question Don't know

George

I am an absolute begineer. The only thing I hever had that worked was purchased from someone who knew. I just upsized my existing screw using the same pitch as the one that is currently being used. I just wanta add lengthe to my machine. I wish someone had a good source (book) for these sort of questions.

Steve

George, you should start a new thread and ask your question there. You'll almost never get a response asking in someone els'es thread with a different topic.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)