587,126 active members*
2,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > open source Atmel/arduino PID motor control

Hybrid View

Yes, I agree with you, Al.

I also wanted to address the discussion regarding the question if the transformer could be eliminated for the zero crossing detect circuit - and it can. What the Arduino will do with this dectection input is up to the designer. However, I do suspect that this project will gravitate towards a phase angle controller, rather than a burst mode. But it may still be fun to try a burst mode controller.

Sometime ago I had thought of experimenting with a motor controller for my MasterCraft 2.5HP router and have it "crawl" real slow, yeah..., like a stepper motor. Then see what problems I run into, like overheating, or excessive current, poor torque, etc. Then to create a possible solution for each problem. Just to experiment even if I had no useful project for it. It was to be mainly an educational excercise. I still haven't done it yet, but this thread made me revisit the idea now that I bought some triacs for a light dimming project.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    . However, I do suspect that this project will gravitate towards a phase angle controller, rather than a burst mode.
    I understood the aim was for a PWM, originally?
    I just mentioned the Triac because of the questions on the posted schematic.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

OK. I may not be up to speed yet. I didn't catch that.
    I must re-read some of the posts again.... lol.

Might be an idea to stick with the original design at the start of the thread and advance from that, Since that is known to work well.

OSPID would be a good name

Its so easy to go off on a tangent with a million ideas and have the original goal stalemate.(group)

Cheers

Rupert

Agreed I am sticking towards original till working model. Waiting on bits

Go go OPID

1) For my clarification, the schematic we are currently using is by straga from post #5?

2) The schematic from post #1 has an additional circuit consisting of a resistor network along with switches labelled START, SET, UP, DOWN, ESC that are not found in the post #5 schematic. Not used now?

3) What does the resistor - switch SW1 do in schematic from straga, post #5? The firmware suggests POWER ON. Is that for the 5V supply power? Or for the 120VAC/220VAC power? Not clear to me.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    1) For my clarification, the schematic we are currently using is by straga from post #5?

2) The schematic from post #1 has an additional circuit consisting of a resistor network along with switches labelled START, SET, UP, DOWN, ESC that are not found in the post #5 schematic. Not used now?

3) What does the resistor - switch SW1 do in schematic from straga, post #5? The firmware suggests POWER ON. Is that for the 5V supply power? Or for the 120VAC/220VAC power? Not clear to me.

Thanks.
    Yes i think most of use are working from Straga's Schematic/code.

The Schematic supplied by mrendu43 shows START, SET, UP, DOWN, ESC probably reserved for an LCD menu system

Switch 1 (SW1) (powerOn) seems to point to manually turning the motor power on, i have not bread boarded to the circuit yet .
    And powerOn2 seems to point to an automated start from the CNC controller.

Maybe someone else could confirm this ?

Cheers

Rupert