587,997 active members*
1,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help with router control

Hi,

I have an old MultiCam 21 router table - it has a small router head and an engraver head with it - and is about a 2'x3' table. It's built like a tank. When I got it it came with a huge controller - and I did manage to get it to click on and move quite a few times - just no communication. Now I get nothing.

It does have smaller stepper motors and the drivers in the box seem to work well as I did get good motion from them. There is also a spindle speed board in the large controller. It does have all limit switches attached too.

So - I am looking to get rid of the large controller and make a new one so I can use this. I am familiar with Mach3 so I could go that way. I guess I'm looking to get feedback as to how and what to use for this. I can either use the drivers that are there now - or just replace the whole thing and start new.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Tom

Hello

I wonder if your machine is an MT 22 ? i have one made in 1997 it also has 2 spindles like yours. I can probably point you in the right direction i have gathered a lot of info on this machine. This forum helped me out a lot and ill be happy to help out others.

What have you done so far ? if possible take a picture of the controller/table i can help identify what DNC software and stuff you need for it to run, i had all kinds of issues myself getting mine running.

I was also thinking about going the mach3 way but then again since i got it working i didnt bother

Thanks -

I'll take some pictures of it all today.

Did you get yours working with the large controller and the extra hand pendant it came with?

Tom

multicam

Yes, i got everything working, only thing left to figure out is the second spindle i have 2xPerske spindles on mine, never used more than one.

How is yours connected ? Serial or paralell or LAN ?

remember if you have a serial cable (RS232) it needs to be in a certain direction, it will not function reversed if i remember correctly.

and yeah pendant is working, big bulky thing

Mine is also the MT22 also - sorry - I had that wrong.

I haven't tried it in quite a while - but it is a serial connection. I also bought a brand new cable just for that as well - but it didn't help much at all. I had a dealer that had Multicam make it for me.

My problem is that I originally kicked it on - and jogged it around and it ran very smooth. Then sometimes the controller would not kick in - and now it does power up - but nothing. It also kept blowing one small fuse and that got pretty frustrating!

I have a small router - not a spindle, and it also has an engraving head with it as well.

Thanks

Tom

Hmm I also blown the fuses here at home, its a nightmare the machine is rated 20A i only have 16A fuse. i run it at only 220v but I think the machine itself is 3phase since its an enourmous transformer and capacitors in the cabinet. My fuse blows every first time i start it then probably the capacitors sucks the power and is partially charged then the next time i turn it on it works without blowing a fuse.. i could probably since i have a 3phase outlet in my garage the machine could probably be wired bypassing the transformer and capacitors.
    One thing is for sure, the machine needs a steady source of power it can do all sorts of funny things (strange stuff in display and so on if there is a power shortage)

The fuse that blows on mine is a small buss fuse inside one of the slots inside the controller. I think yours is larger possibly as mine is a single phase machine and ran on 120V.

When you get some pictures of the thing i can check what kind of documentation i can find

Here's some pictures of the table and controller. First time attaching photos - I hope it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MC22.jpg   MC22ctrl1.jpg  

I helped a co-worker rebuild a Multicam 4x8 router. It looks like you have the same stepper drivers he did here's a link to more info IM483 Microstepping Brushless Step Motor Driver - Schneider Electric Motion USA

his BOB was replaced with a PDMX-125 before he purchased the machine. He ended up buying gecko drivers and a different power supply.

If things don't work out with what you have a G540 would probably work perfect for that machine!

Thanks -

So if I went to the G540 - I would just get the connectors for the steppers I have on the machine - and that would do it? Would I then use Mach3 as the controller?

Sorry - I don't know a great deal about this -

Thanks

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by maldak View Post
    Thanks -

So if I went to the G540 - I would just get the connectors for the steppers I have on the machine - and that would do it? Would I then use Mach3 as the controller?

Sorry - I don't know a great deal about this -

Thanks

Tom
    Yea close.

First I would measure what your power supply is running at. The G540 can only handle 50v. The reason I mentioned the G540 is because its one awesome little unit that really simplifies the control for a newby. Its hard to know what's wrong with your machine and could possibly be fixed by replacing a cheaper piece and work fine under mach3 control but how much time and head scratching do you want to do?

For hookup to the G540 and your machine you will have to figure out what current you want to run the steppers at and solder in a resistor into the stepper motor connector that plugs the stepper into the G540 (I would just cut off the original connectors and solder on the DB9 connectors needed for the G540), Stepper power supply input, limit switches (you may need to add a small powersupply for your limit switches depending on where or what supplied them with voltage), estop, spindle control...

The G540 would not have enough IO's to use the pendant on this unit so you would either need to use another break out board for that or much easier just use a wireless Xbox controller.

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

Thanks again,

I am going to use a new power supply - I found a 24v, 36v and 48v. Would I assume the more the better ?

As for the pendant - I would just use Mach3 on the computer and scrap the pendant.

Thanks again

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by maldak View Post
    Thanks again,

I am going to use a new power supply - I found a 24v, 36v and 48v. Would I assume the more the better ?

As for the pendant - I would just use Mach3 on the computer and scrap the pendant.

Thanks again

Tom
    Yep.

This kit is as close as it gets to plug and play if you decide to get new steppers as well.

3 Axis Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts

Thanks again,

I really appreciate the help.

Tom

Smile hey

Wow this thing is a dinosaur, its the first controller you have here made by extratech completely diffrent from mine. seems like its no longer supported by multicam in any way so yeah i would go for a mach3 conversion too

Thanks - that's what I figured. There's so much stuff in here it seems impossible to me.
    This table is just built like a little tank though - that's why I'd like to get it working.

Thanks

Tom

Yeah mine to, mine is constructed with plates of 1/2 inch steel, not sure the weight of the thing but I know 4 guys wasnt able to lift it, we had to pull it into the garage on a large steel table with a winch and block. Good thing about heavy equipment, no one is able to run away with it my friends do not longer brag about being strong .

I know what you mean. I had to bring this upstairs into another room - and my brother and I needed a nap when we were done !