Ruawake,

I'm very new to CNC. Some six years ago I took a set-up course at a local J.C., nothing since then. My first subsequent contact was when I got my 1100 about two months ago. Due to health issues and a heavy work schedule, I can't get in more than 8 or 10 hours per week on the machine. A rather nasty surgery Thursday of this week will keep me off the machine for three more weeks. I can't, for love or money, get a grasp of CAD or CAM. However, "G" code and related instructions are very straight forward, easy to learn, and provide the additional benefit of providing you with a much greater understanding of your part-program. Programing for most 2 1/2 D parts is pretty straight forward. I've made some decent parts using nothing more than G00, G1,2, and 3, G17, G28, G40, 41, 42, 43, and 44, G54, G80, 81, 82, and 83, G90 and 91, along with a few needed M, N, O , F, and S words whose needs will be self-evident. While the list, plus a few commands I've not listed, may, at first glance, seem daunting, they are actually quite easy to employ. Even an old dog such as I can learn a few new tricks, and I'm not even a real machinist - just a hack who machines for fun and relaxation. I've managed to make some useful parts and at present I'm coding an AR lower.

One helpful technique has been to test my code with EZ Wizard's simulator, followed by "air machining", then some scrap wood (machinists wax would be better), and finally, I cut metal. My "CAD" program is a $2.00, 8 1/2"x11" pad of graph paper, a compass, protractor, straight edge, mechanical pencil, and an art gum eraser. Total cost less than $15.00, and it never crashes or requires updating.

I hope this will help. If it seems more like mindless babel, chalk it off to Vicodin and groin surgery (ouch!!).

John