587,694 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > RC Robotics and Autonomous Robots > Selective Soldering Robot Conversion to Mach3 and Smooth Stepper

Hybrid View

Hi,

I made some more progress over the weekend. I fully tested both of my boards and reassembled the machine.

I also mounted the swing arm onto the side of the machine to hold the all-in-one touch screen computer. The sides of the static gantry are cast aluminium. after removing the sheet metal cover, it was clear that I could mount the swing arm at the top of the gantry side. I drilled and tapped holes for M6x1 cap screws.

With the machine reassembled, a quick test was done to ensure that all was plugged correctly. At this stage I now have a machine that is under control of Mach3 and is capable of soldering boards.

The first image shows the layout of the components in the base. As can be seen, there is a lot of room left over.

The 2nd image shows the machine about to be placed onto the base

The 3rd image show the top of the gantry side where the swing arm is to be mounted.

The final image shows the complete and assembled machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails layout.jpg   assembled.jpg   gantry.jpg   allInOnePc.jpg  

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Hi,

I made some more progress over the weekend. I fully tested both of my boards and reassembled the machine.
    I also mounted the swing arm onto the side of the machine to hold the all-in-one touch screen computer. The sides of the static gantry are cast aluminium. after removing the sheet metal cover, it was clear that I could mount the swing arm at the top of the gantry side. I drilled and tapped holes for M6x1 cap screws.
    With the machine reassembled, a quick test was done to ensure that all was plugged correctly. At this stage I now have a machine that is under control of Mach3 and is capable of soldering boards.

The first image shows the layout of the components in the base. As can be seen, there is a lot of room left over.
    The 2nd image shows the machine about to be placed onto the base
    The 3rd image show the top of the gantry side where the swing arm is to be mounted.
    The final image shows the complete and assembled machine.

Excellent progress. I've waited almost two years for some movement on this.

I have the bigger brother to that one, the IJ750-LN. Would you let me buy your firmware/Gerber files to build my own boards? I can DIY a layout from a schematic. Anything you can offer to me would be fantastic. My application is for drilling/milling light plastics.

Hi,

When I got the boards made up they have a minimum order qty, so I have about 8-10 spare boards.

Basically, you would need to confirm that your machine has the same Vextra 5 phase stepper drivers and ribbon cable connectors on it. if so then one of my boards would be the easiest solution.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

EnvisionElec Guest
    Hi,

When I got the boards made up they have a minimum order qty, so I have about 8-10 spare boards.

Basically, you would need to confirm that your machine has the same Vextra 5 phase stepper drivers and ribbon cable connectors on it. if so then one of my boards would be the easiest solution.

Cheers,

Peter.
    They are the Vexta 5 phase boards with a slightly different layout configuration, but the same number of pins per connector. I would be extraordinarily thankful if you would sell them to me - no strings attached. I am good at reverse engineering, but have many irons in the fire that keep this CNC project at bay. Therefore, while I could do the same kind of work, I am in a better position to pay you for the work you have done.

I will send you a PM with my details.

Regards,
    Aaron Hammett
    Envision Electronics Design, LLC

phomann Guest
    Hi Aaron,

I can provide the blank pcbs only (with the 3 stepper microprocessors installed and programmed). Like you I have so much going on that I don't have the time to assemble the boards for you.

You only need to see how long this project is taking to see how little spare time I have.

I'll contact you off-forum via email.

Cheers,

Peter

EnvisionElec Guest
    Hi Aaron,

I can provide the blank pcbs only (with the 3 stepper microprocessors installed and programmed). Like you I have so much going on that I don't have the time to assemble the boards for you.

You only need to see how long this project is taking to see how little spare time I have.

I'll contact you off-forum via email.

Cheers,

Peter
    No problem at all. I feel very lucky to have blank boards and will happily do all the remaining legwork.

I haven't heard anything yet? Spring is just around the corner which means I can start getting some of these projects out of the way.