587,178 active members*
4,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Choosing CAM, Is cut preview useful to you?

Question Choosing CAM, Is cut preview useful to you?

I'm trying to choose a budget CAM solution. I was hoping for free, but HeeksCAD and PyCam didn't work out. I need something more polished and supported while I make it through my ignorance.

My top contenders are CamBam and Cut2d/Cut3D. CamBam seems capable and is priced well, unless I want to add CutViewer into the mix. That brings the combined price near $300. At $400, I can get the Cut2d/Cut3D bundle which I have heard many good things about. I'm assuming that the ability to preview a cut is very useful, especially to a beginner. It seems that I could learn a lot from making toolpaths and actually seeing them on screen without wasting material. Is this correct? How accurate is the preview? Do you find you don't use it once you are more experienced? Is the vectric stuff worth $100 more than CamBam? Are either of them helpful to new customers?

Here's some extra info:
    Machine: Zenbot 2424 w/Gecko 540 controlled by LinuxCNC
    My Uses: starting with 2d (signs, brackets, fixtures) moving onto 3D (robotics parts, augmenting 3d printing in prototype process)

I do find that using simulation is very helpful. Many times, it has saved me from mis-cutting stock, then going back to the design computer, making changes, and starting over. The time saved adds up fast.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Have a hunt around there's 3-4 free simulators out there, not sure how good they are but well worth a try.

And yes, having a simulator to me especially in the software itself is VERY useful. I have cambam and cutviewer, yes the package is good but it gets really annoying popping between the two programs.

Also have a good think about what you actually need, do you need 3D software? I was 100% sure I did when I started looking but in fact I just needed 2.5D software.

What are you looking at making that is REALLY 3D