588,044 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro, no Z way cover

Torus Pro, no Z way cover

Why is there no Z axis way cover on the Torus pro? Seems like a major design flaw, either that or there just to cheap to add one?

MillingMan

I've had a series 1 and 2 and a Torus Pro on the way.
    I found the simple cure is a hunk of heavy plastic sheet covering the ball screw, secured with 2 magnets.
    Cost $4.00.
    I also contacted Novakon and suggested a more elegant solution. John indicated it was on the to do list for future inclusion.
    No doubt the elegant solution will cost more than $4.00.
    For now its a minor inconveniece and the workaround is simple.

John

Is a cover necessary? I interpreted the lack of a cover as evidence that one isn't needed.

The future inclusion of a cover is in response to customer interests. Since the initial release of the design over 4 years ago, we have not had any problem associated with not having a cover. There are wipers on the linear bearings and the ball screw nut that take care of the Z-axis components. Though we are looking into the addition of a cover, we don't see it as a design limitation since we have not had any failures from this in the history of the machine.

We do use customer input for future machine improvements and we thank everyone for their constructive observations.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Novakon Team

So you just spent 10k on a new machine and you have to goto Home Depot and buy some $4 rubber to make a ghetto fix to something that should have been designed right in the first place?

And just because you haven't heard any problems from customers yet, doesn't mean t isn't a bad design. I smoked for 10 years and never got cancer, I guess that means smoking isn't bad for you?

MillingMan

I would be amazed to find any product that did not have room for improvement.
    I heartily agree that it is an issue which should be addressed and I did suggest it to Novakon a while ago.
    Personally I'm grateful that it is such a minor issue with a quick and cheap workaround.
    I do believe that the best way to communicate our suggestions to a provider, is to simply state what we want and why we want it.
    One small oversight hardly negates an otherwise fine product.
    Would I be correct in assuming that you are not a Novakon owner?

John