587,833 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Major issue with snapping to circles

Major issue with snapping to circles

Hey guys, I have uploaded a quick video showing the issue.

The issue I am having is when I try and snap near a circle, there is a gap between the circle and the line I am drawing.

What really odd is when it is 'snapping' the snap isn't actually on the circle but hovers away from it!

When I do the same thing next to a square or a straight line there is no problem.

I tried REGEN and REGEN all this did no help unfortunately.

I hope the small video is clear enough to explain the issue and I really hope someone can help me.

Please accept my apologies for the poor quality of the video

Autodesk 2013, Help with Osnap to a circle. - YouTube

Zoom in, then type regen? Are you using the "nearest" snap. It should be on the circle, even though it doesn't appear to be. A regen when zoomed on should show it properly.

What is VIEWRES set too? You may need to increase it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

if you were trying to move a circle to touching a line.. then you can try to draw an auxillary line from center of circle to perpendicular to line.. then move circle along this line intersect -intersect snap..
    then circle will be exactly on the line..

same way the line can be snapped to the circle..

i just hardly can imagine moving a circle and selecting random point on perimeter would snap tangentially to the line..
    unless line horizontal or vertical and using the quadrant of circle..

Ger 21 has the answer here..try this experiment.. zoom in on the circle while viewing the arc that creates the circle..always have the circle in view or rather just a small portion of it..pretty soon the arc flattens out..it is just the way circles are drawn in A cad..regen then causes A cad to make the arc smoother.

After regen command, zoom way out to where the circle is small on the screen..real small..then copy it and set the new circle next to the old..then zoom back in and compare the 2 circles..the first will look smooth and the second will look like a 8 sided paragon (stop sign shape). Then hit the regen command again..it will cause both circles to look smooth arc shape..

The reason that you don't have problems with lines is how else can A cad display a line other than drawing a line? A circle can look pretty good till you zoom in on it and see that it is flat sided..
    So to sum up ..Acad draws arcs as lazily as possible till you tell it to do a better job on the screen by using the regen command..

Also when it was trying to snap to what looked like nothing using the nearest snap, it was doing it correctly, it just that the circle was flattened right there..

Mike

Here is another thing that I saw in the video..you roll your mouse wheel in to zoom in..pretty soon it stops zooming in and in the bottom corner of the screen it says that "zoomed in as far as possible"..Hit the regen again and you can keep zooming in after the regen..Same goes with zooming out.."zoomed out as far as possible"

When I was taking tutorials on the web about A cad, there was one that showed a small Acad file that you opened up and it showed the orbits of the planets in full scale!!
    You were then instructed to keep zooming in till you saw planet earth and it showed the moon...keep zooming in on the moon and pretty soon you saw the Apollo moon lander on the surface!! Keep zooming and you see the plaque on the lander that says that mankind came in peace..left by the Apollo 11 astronauts ..But with all of this you had to keep regen going all the time to see it correctly..

Mike

ok
    i see video..
    since a week or so something went wrong with explorer.. it permanently asking reinstall flashplayer, i reinstall and says it working, but on this post i didnt see any video..
    now i opened in google chrome and see video..

sorry, i answered without seeing the video..

mike youre correct, also gerry i know you expert of autocad too..

before he started to draw the line, he didnt regen.. thats why the snap showed the real position, but video still show circle in low res..
    video i mean the computer videocard, or autocad as represent it..

sorry again, i answered without seeing the video, and he didnt mentioned he drw FROM the circle with snap.. i was in the faith he try to move a line to a circle..

with autocad 10 really was that demo ...

i found a weblink about that drawing :-)

More from the AutoCAD Accuracy Universe and the Floating Point (Between the Lines)

also an interesting viewpoint, that first autcad versions, were very ""small"" ... autocad 10 still was fit on one 5.25 disc..
    with all additional things it was 4-5 disc as much i remember..
    today a simple drawing takes more space on the harddrive..

this demo drawing shows the exceptional accuracy that they achived..

It looks like you have a 2d drawing but your view cube is on. Its possible that your USC is canted on a plane slightly. AutoCAD wont snap to planer objects that aren't on a plane. Select Object USC and select your circle then select the plane you want on the viewcube.
    You may also have OSNAPZ selected improperly. 0 will snap to the object itself and 1 will snap to the current Z0.