587,213 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Basic Math in Dimension fields

Basic Math in Dimension fields

I recently upgraded to 2013 and found that when you try to do math functions from with in say a dimension field it doesn't seem to work. It just reverts back to the original number. Division seems to work fine but adding, subtracting or multiplying doesn't have any effect it just reverts. Is there a new setting I'm not aware of? I really liked this functionality because I don't need to have a calculator right by my side, I can just do everything right inside Solidworks.

Thanks!

Hrm... works for me? What syntax are you using for the formula?
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

hei'ya BTP, any chance to see a screen-shot of what's not working for you, it may be easier to help or comment - kelef

Okay no problem. The first picture is just a rough rectangle and the a simple addition equation. The second picture is the result when I hit enter, which was the original dimension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Equation_1.jpg   Equation_2.jpg  

interesting... when I created the same sketch and put in 2+2 it changes to 4 for me? I wonder if there is an 'allow math' button somewhere that needs checking or un-checking? I'll go have a look..

What happens when you put an '=' sign infront of the 2+2?
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I tried that. It says invalid syntax. It worked fine in 2011. Kinda sucks because I use that a lot.

ah nuts! it works for me, and syntax wise it looks ok - sorry dude l've never had the problem, maybe rebuild/refresh before dimmensioning
    with ctrl+b - kelef

BTP that is very strange... it works for me in 2013 Sp3.0 have you had other issues w/ the software doing buggy things? I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe there is a 'on/off' switch for this functionality.... Contacted your software retailer?
    JerryFlyGuy

I got it. A quick Google search said it was probably a corrupt install. So I re-installed and everything is good now. Thanks anyways guys.