587,657 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question has anyone used a shapeoko?

So any feedback on them is appreciated as I just might buy the kit n give it a go.

My friend has one. He bought the hardware only kit and got motor/driver/PSU from eBay. He likes it and it seems smooth. It's just limited in size unless you request bigger or purchase longer rails and make new longer end plates.

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Yeah that's the only bummer about it but I've looked around and its by far the cheapest.

Definitely a good way to get your feet wet and learn the basics. Them upgrade from there.

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Quote Originally Posted by total_noob View Post
    So any feedback on them is appreciated as I just might buy the kit n give it a go.
    Doesn't seem like a good value to me. Especially since it is designed to use a dremel. I could see that kit being an exercise in frustration.
    At bare minimum, I would want a machine that held a trim router.
    No offense to anyone that uses a dremel as a spindle, but it would have very liimited use.

I think you'd do better off sourcing your own extrusion, your own Z slide and linear travel system. You can build your own carriages with plywood or MDF with basic woodworking tools.

Look around at some other options.

I love the simplicity, but the gantry is driven only on the right side... that will encourage racking when cutting on the left. Maybe that's why it only has a dremel.

The motors are Nema 17 -- those rarely have much torque with a 24V supply, or at any V for that matter.. If going Shapeoko, I'd get my own electrics and use dual drives. But, the whole concept is meant for light duty, so it might not be worth trying to upgrade just a few parts.
    David Malicky

I bought a used unit off the extremely Big auction y site. A few minor issues getting it up and running, but am viewing it as a learning experience.

Spindles aren't limited to just the default Dremel (or clone). People've mounted Chinese spindles of up to 800 watts, the Dewalt DW-660 has a documentation page on the Shapeoko wiki along w/ mounts to cut for it, and jzhvymetal just posted in the forums about mounting a Dewalt DWP611.

The gantry being driven on just one side is an issue, but a driveshaft upgrade looks to be pretty affordable, just need to source:

- 1/4" bore pulley (place the belt on the outside to let this hold everything together)
    - 1/4" metal rod (I bought ``music wire'' from a local hobby shop)
    - 1/4" flanged bearing
    - 1/4" -- 5mm shaft coupler (may be optional, see below)

and some way to resolve clearance issues. I'm going to first try:

- getting some 1/4" shaft collars and building a jig to hold one in alignment w/ the shaft so that I can drill holes in one, and in the metal end of the 5mm pulley and then screw the twain together to function as a shaft coupler --- then I'll just need some nylon spacers and long enough M3 bolts to move the pulley and belt to the outside

but if that doesn't work out, I'll use the 1/4" -- 5mm shaft coupler, and if possible, source enough nylon spacers and M3 bolts long enough to allow the coupler and belt / pulley to be on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
    - 1/4" metal rod (I bought ``music wire'' from a local hobby shop)
    Because of how it's made, the music wire was over-dimension, rather than trying to turn it down, I bought some 1/4" aluminum rod at the local hardware store. Gave up on the idea of drilling shaft collars and have ordered a 1/2"--1/4" coupler which I'm intending to use to join the rod to the pulley.

It's also possible to up-grade to NEMA 23 motors --- Improbable Construct has just put 280 oz. motors on his machine (posted to Twitter).

Take a look at Microcarve. microcarve MV3 He also has free plans on his forum to build his BBX design that has a 12x12 envelope.

Will take a trim router or small spindle and Jon's work is great! I had an A4 before I built my CRP 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    Will take a trim router or small spindle and Jon's work is great! I had an A4 before I built my CRP 4x4.
    I've seen some with with a 2hp router. I have his z-axis on my 2x4' joes2006 and it's silky smooth and handles my 2hp router just fine. I definitely think the BBox is an excellent DIYer build however I would recommend picking up the extra bits from John like the z-axis. Not many will be able to reproduce that quality of work for the price point.

Take look at my site for CNC Project ideas at:
    CNC Projects
    Bob A
    CNC Programming Software Tools

Oh yes, the new ShapeOko 2 has dual-drive on the Y-axis as a standard option --- a couple of people have done drive shafts instead though.