587,982 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help please! No laser when trying to cut!!

Hey all.

So I have corrected the laser path and can get a laser beam to burn on tests (to make sure the laser was coming out of the nozzle correctly).

When I go to start a job, all that happens is one spark as if it tries to start cutting, and then all I get is the nozzle blowing out air as it follows the path of what it should be cutting. Nothing comes out but air. The laser lamps don't even light up.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm new to lasering, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be doing this! It hasn't happened before!

But when I test the laser beam with the foot switch and photo paper, I can get a laser no problem! It's only when I try to cut that this problem has happened. I have no idea what it could be!

wklaserliu Guest
    hi Guy ,

only when cut there is no laser beam ?
    what you cut, maybe it could not cut the materials you cut ,no reflection .

SKYPE; wkquiven
    [email protected]

Hey, where abouts are you in Australia, what program (like Lasercut 5.3) and what machine?

Could it be as simple as you have unchecked the "Output" box in the Lasercutting program?

Hi,
    First ,confirm water circulate well ,no leak no block ,no hot water .
    Second , make sure you had open lid protection . Some machines has this function ,open lid , no laser .
    Third , any poor wiring .
    It seems there no big deep problem with your machine . I think the first point is probably the key . Then the third one .

Best wishes ,
    Mary Lee
    XYZ Machinery

Quote Originally Posted by wklaserliu View Post
    hi Guy ,

only when cut there is no laser beam ?
    what you cut, maybe it could not cut the materials you cut ,no reflection .

SKYPE; wkquiven
    [email protected]
    Yeah - only when I cut there is no laser. It sparks once as if it tries, and then just blows air.
    I'm cutting 1mm mild steel. I have cut through the same material a couple of months ago (with the same laser), with the same parameters and set up. So i'm not sure what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by EXLASer View Post
    Hi,
    First ,confirm water circulate well ,no leak no block ,no hot water .
    Second , make sure you had open lid protection . Some machines has this function ,open lid , no laser .
    Third , any poor wiring .
    It seems there no big deep problem with your machine . I think the first point is probably the key . Then the third one .

Best wishes ,
    Mary Lee
    XYZ Machinery
    Water - yep. I'll check the pipes tomorrow.
    Open lid protection. I may have had the lid off when I did it so I'll try that tomorrow too! Good idea. I know I had the main cover on, but I didn't have the end cap on, so that may have made a difference.

Poor wiring, this could be a cause as the wiring of the whole machine has been dodgy. We've already had an electrician out 3 times to solder wires back on and fix the wiring.

Thanks so much for that! I'll go to work and give all of that a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bec Weir View Post
    Hey, where abouts are you in Australia, what program (like Lasercut 5.3) and what machine?

Could it be as simple as you have unchecked the "Output" box in the Lasercutting program?
    We're in the Hunter Valley, NSW. The machine came with NcEditor as the program. Machine is a Perfect Laser (not sure of the model). It's from China. A cheapo (which I had no decision over unfortunately).

I don't think my lasercutting program has an "output" box.

Ummm what power is the machine? (you mentioned 1mm mild steel)

We've already had an electrician out 3 times to solder wires back on and fix the wiring.
    Ummmm hopefully one certified to work with HV equipment?

I tend to agree with Mary, it sounds like an intermittent fault caused by movement, that suggests switches or lose wiring.

I'm just gonna go look for some info on "Perfect Laser" as I'd imagine they are rebranded machines made by somebody else.

best wishes

Dave

Yeah I'll have a look. thanks! I. have tried to find info on these Perfect Laser machines but haven't found much at all! No one seems to have one or has reviews or problems or anything. I thought that was a bit sus myself.

My instruction manual came with barely any instructions and a terrible DVD with terrible funeral music and terrible explanation of anything and no basic information about anything!

I'll check over the connections and wires tomorrow and see what they (China) come back to me with. It'd frustrating waiting a day between communication, that most of the time doesn't help!

Thanks Dave. let me know what you find, if anything! much appreciated!

WE ARE IN BUSINESS!!

After a few hiccups this morning, I have it running now. Just need some fine tuning as I'm getting burrs on the underside of the parts that come out. Currently using Argon gas (my company decided to go this way). We will be cutting 1.2mm-3mm MAXIMUM stainless steel.. I'm thinking Nitrogen or Air Compressor instead?

Better cut quality? Thoughts? I thought maybe the focal length is out too. If i can adjust it correctly, I should be able to burn the remaining burrs off as it cuts. What would be a good setting for 1.2mm stainless steel? This will primarily be what I'll be cutting.

Doing alright for a newbie! considering it's a cheap Chinese machine and have no experience! I've spent 5 months fixing it from photos and email instructions. Now time to run it! Excited!!

You will get a far superior cut using Nitrogen not to mention the fact that it's a third of the price! You can cut it using compressed air but will always get a darkened edge because of the oxidization.
    What diameter lens and focal length are you using?

What would be a good setting for 1.2mm stainless steel?
    Impossible to say without knowing what power and type the tube is, I had a look at Perfect Laser and they do all sorts from low power CO2 glass tube engravers to high power YAG's and Fibers.

If the option of using Oxygen is there please don't until you get a lot more used to the machine, if it does have any faults Oxygen can relocate your entire world pretty efficiently.

best wishes

Dave

I'll get the specs today and let you know.
    Thanks for the advice.

Is nitrogen heaps cheaper than argon in Australia