587,760 active members*
2,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help whit a quote, please take a peek

Hi guys!

I am new at this and I need your help, please take a minute and help a brother.

I hawe made a deal for a job an the deal was 100 piece , price per piece and the price was 18$. Tolerances loose, outside finish ultra fine, aluminum.

Here is a rugh sckech whit some basic dimensions just to give you an idea of the size. It had to be machined from all sides . There ia a front side that had to be engraved too. I made a design and delivered in time as agreed.

Now the question , did I ower charge or did I done it dirt cheap. And what would be a fair price or how much would you charge it for. One more thing , in how much time could you deliver if it was urgent.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Unless I'm misreading your drawing, I could not buy the material (30mmx150mmx150mm) for $18.

Now, assuming that $18 doesn't include material, $18 is probably OK, if you have a high-speed machine (such pocketed parts are not my forte). I'm not sure how to interpret "ultra fine" outside finish, but that could be a big problem if tool marks are unacceptable and the outside surfaces had to be post-processed.

Regards.

Mike Schetterer
    Finegrain Metalworks
    (425) 681-4732

Actualy you are right , the 18$ was for work only material was su supplied by the customer, I did a design and machining.
    And the machine is a retrofitted machine , just a knee mill that I goth and retrofitted . It took a wile to do it . But I know that is my problem. I am wondering how much is a fair market price for the 100 pic just work without material let's say a regular machine shop , how much would charge for it. O and how fast could it be done what's a reasonable time frame.

Ultra fine means that it had to be polished after that. But I didn't do that , set it to a shop.
    But I face milled every one of those 100 piece .

I would venture to say you are a little low, but it sounds like your overhead is also low.

I would charge $25ea (just labor) for 100pcs. With a 1 week lead time.

Are you located in Croatia? If so, who the heck would we know?! The going rate is the going rate. If you are happy, you charged enough. If you aren't happy, you didn't charge enough. Your real question is "unanswerable"...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Your real question is "unanswerable"...
    By anyone but yourself.

I was gonna go there, but decided to just throw a number out instead.

Honestly, for the amount of time I "see" in that part on the machine you described? I can't see how you made money.
    I mean, were you even able to finish one per hour?

Are you located in Croatia? If so, who the heck would we know?! The going rate is the going rate. If you are happy, you charged enough. If you aren't happy, you didn't charge enough. Your real question is "unanswerable"...
    Yes I am located in Croatia but that doesn't matter i am wondering abouth the price globally , how much would it be anywhere in the world , who knows maybe ill move one of these days.
    Let's say that I am relatewley happy.
    It took abouth an hour of machining a piece. But that is because of my machine capabilities.

If you were in China, you would get not business at that price (way too high). If you were in the US (or Germany, or France, or any industrialized western country), you would not be able to stay open if you followed all the laws, rules, and regulations regarding business, environmental, and safety practices.

The right price for that part is exactly $37.28 each, for a lot of 100. Or three sheep.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

What do you mean you couldn't buy aluminum for 18$.

How much is it for a 150x150x30 AL in the USA

I goth it here for 11$ a piece .

If you were in China, you would get not business at that price (way too high). If you were in the US (or Germany, or France, or any industrialized western country), you would not be able to stay open if you followed all the laws, rules, and regulations regarding business, environmental, and safety practices.

The right price for that part is exactly $37.28 each, for a lot of 100. Or a three sheep.
    Is that 37 $ just for labor

What would " three sheep " mean.
    Is that an expression or do you actually mean " Ovis aries" (sheep) in the quantity of 3

By the way I sent a request to my cousin in Germany and he quoted 20Euro, a piece just labor , and they have a serious manufacturing facility and competitive prices.

That would amount close to that 37$