588,073 active members*
4,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Do expensive End Mills make a difference on a Tormach?

Hybrid View

Normally I would agree that a cheaper price means lower quality, but in this case as it often is with the two sites mentioned, they are identical.

Manufacturer Part Number: 5731400
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Normally I would agree that a cheaper price means lower quality, but in this case as it often is with the two sites mentioned, they are identical.

Manufacturer Part Number: 5731400
    Lower price does not always mean less quality...

MSC charges more becuase they will ship that day...Enco will not unless you pay the next day rate...

If I need a tool for a job the next day...30% more on the cost sometimes is worth it...MSC know this...If my shipping charge for next day from MSC is Less than next day from Enco... paying more for the tool may not even matter in the end...

If I have to have it next day, I order from McMaster Carr usually.
    No overnight charges for me, but it comes in the evening the next day.

McMaster-Carr

I also don't have control over brand name when ordering from them.
    Comparable prices I think.

I usually wait and order from Enco when they have discounts and free shipping and then buy in bulk.
    I get deep discounts on brass rod this way.

Just for instance the rod I need for my products.

Enco 360 brass rod:

3/8" brass rod 6' long. $23.86 usually on sale for $20.03 and when you buy 4 they are $17.03.
    9/16" rod lists at $45.55 usually on sale for 38.98 and when you buy 4 it's $33.13.

MSC:

6' 3/8" brass rod with no quantity discounts is $29.48

9/16" is $57.49.

For 4 of each rod from Enco is $200.64 and sometimes free shipping or even further discounts.

The same material from MSC is $347.88 plus shipping.

So, it does make a big difference to me.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If I have to have it next day, I order from McMaster Carr .
    McMaster-Carr Great for what they have in stock...I needed an M11X1 Bottom Tap...They had it...MSC did not...
    But it did come the next day...The 2 pcs set..$94+shipping...So the service and tap came @ a price...
    I just pasted the cost along...

I'm throwing the BS flag up on this one. I buy from Enco every couple months. I usually have my order in 48 hours using the cheapest shipping option. They are in Reno and I am the SF bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    MSC charges more becuase they will ship that day...Enco will not unless you pay the next day rate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    MSC ships that day...Enco takes a week to ship...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    I'm throwing the BS flag up on this one. I buy from Enco every couple months. I usually have my order in 48 hours using the cheapest shipping option. They are in Reno and I am the SF bay area.

I forgot that I was posting here and hard facts are reqired so let me correct my statement to the world...If I order from MSC by 8PM MSC ships that day and becuase I'm near a UPS terminal I recieve it the next day for ground rate...
    I order from ENCO on Monday I'm lucky if I have my tools before the end of the week unless I pay for them...

But when someone only orders tools every few month that tells me your not a company that has due dates...
    So go ahead and throw your BS Flag all you want...
    If you need a tool the next day from enco that is not 48 hours (after order date)....So yes MSC you are paying for...
    Enco is not such a great deal anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    Enco & MSC are in the same building... Not in Reno.
    They're in Fernley (35mi east of Reno), occasionally referred to as "Ferntucky"

You'll find that on occasion Enco will sell the same tools as MSC, but cheaper. You have to be on the lookout. Enco is cheap, name brand is name brand.

Msc ships from a few places Harrisburg PA is the main location for shipping...Enco ships from Reno...So if you're in CAL. that would mean you are in the same shipping district as Reno...I'm on the East Coast so if I order Monday it is pulled Tuesday and I get it Friday…That a Week for most people in the business world…
    Anyone that thinks ENCO is a great deal is just showing how little they know…Enco sells crap...If it is not a name brand...

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Enco & MSC are in the same building... Not in Reno.
    They're in Fernley (35mi east of Reno), occasionally referred to as "Ferntucky"

You'll find that on occasion Enco will sell the same tools as MSC, but cheaper. You have to be on the lookout. Enco is cheap, name brand is name brand.
    You will never convince me MSC isn't a ripoff, at least not for a small shop that doesn't get special pricing. I've compared name brand items from MSC against other retailers, and MSC is never even close. If I'm ordering enough to qualify for whatever special MSC is running at that time, then it is about a wash, but that just convinces me they are way overpriced.

I've talked to the guys at my day job and they say we get discounts that make the MSC pricing very competitive. When I'm ordering from home those prices aren't available to me, and I will always chose to buy from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    You will never convince me MSC isn't a ripoff, at least not for a small shop that doesn't get special pricing. I've compared name brand items from MSC against other retailers, and MSC is never even close.
    I've used them often for the generic-brand domestic tools where their pricing seems decent to me. What I like about them is that I pay for UPS ground (and their rates are low) but almost always get orders the next day if they have them in the warehouse near me.