588,063 active members*
5,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1HP 3450rpm Motor Adapter

The cost of having a 220 volt line run to my shop is too expensive compared to switching to a 110 volt 1HP or 1.5HP 3450 rpm motor. For the initial test I bought an inexpensive 1HP 3450 rpm motor on eBay for $112. The motor shaft adapter came from Grainger and I turned it down a bit in my Logan lathe and milled the key slots on my Taig CNC Mill. The motor adapter was machined from a partially machined aluminum ring I found real cheap on eBay. I finished machining the aluminum adapter ring on my lathe and small mill. I painted everything black to match my refinished IH CNC Mill, the rough looking surface on the adapter ring is from a paper towel that fell on the paint before it dried. The pictures below show the adapters and motor. I should have everything up and running in a day or so and if everything works smoothly, I will consider buying an industrial quality Leeson 1.5HP 3450 rpm motor for the final mill configuration. This is only a small step down from the 2HP motor that came with the IH CNC Mill.

How far is your shop? Running 220 shouldn't be very expensive. Your machines will work better. Where are you going to plug in your welder?

Another option, is a VFD and 3 phase motor. Many VFDs will operate on 110v or 220v and provide 3 phase 220. I have a VFD on my Mill, and on my drill press. Small VFDs are available for not much money on EBAY.

I second the VFD idea. I run one on my lathe for a 3 phase 220v motor. I do have a 220v source in my case.
    A lazy man does it twice.

You have 220 single phase power, unless your shop is running off a sub panel.

Nobody said the feed to the VFD was anything but single phase. You can feed many small VFDs single phase 110V, single phase 220v, or 3 phase 220. In each case the inputs are internally converted to DC and combined. On the back end the VFD internaly splits/converts the DC back AC in 3 phase 220v (with variable frequency). The more critical thing is how many AMPS you provide. You will not get more AMPS out than you send in. I feed my VFDs with 30 AMPS single phase 220V. In this case, each 220 3 phase leg has 20 AMPS capacity (enough for a 3 HP which I have on my IH Mill). It is important to size the VFD for the number of AMPS you will pull through it (and the input configuration).

BTW, to the OP you adapter plate looks good and you shnould be able to run your mill. But HP is key milling (well torque is). Lots of folks run with 2 HP because that was stock from IH. But 3HP makes bigger tools possible. Since you have a small CNC mill, why not go big with your IH mill. BTW, my 3HP motor is constant torque below 60 hz, and constant HP above 60 hz. With Daves belt drive conversion my mill realy has some quiet muscle.

My shop is an add-on (by the previous owner) to the back of my house and no electrical was run when the room was framed in. I had a professional electrician add the 110v power several years ago to comply with local codes and it was expensive. I have a portable power generator (for power outages / emergencies) that I will use to supply 220v power for welding. A 3D CAD drawing for the adapter can be found on GrabCAD : Motor adapter - STEP / IGES, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD Motor adapter - STEP / IGES, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

Running the wiring yourself is quite easy. This machining stuff is the hard part.
    A lazy man does it twice.