587,229 active members*
3,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 6 3456
    So this is the thread that started the hub-bub. I don't want to cherry pick posts but this one is a gem:

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-4renegade View Post
    My 1100 Tormach, or the Tormach company hasnt let me down, nor has the sprut cam they offer. In fact both have impressed me alot. Other machines and yes I looked and heard of bobcam, but what I learned is if I really need to make a part only two things will make that happen, Tormach and Sprut. Ya wanna back that up with your bobcam? Ill send ya pics of the part,see if you want to program it on bobcad. Which is better? The one that will get my parts done, bobcam didnt offer with the other machines I looked at, only to sell there program. Is Sprut hard?
    Only Tormach and Sprut make machining parts possible or you mean for YOU? I love the look of Sprutcam. If I get a 5 axis machine before my software company adds 5 axis, I'll be buying Sprut because what I have doesn't do 5 axis. But to say that only Tormach and Sprut can make parts is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-4renegade View Post
    Well first cam I ever used on the first CNC Mill I ever ran so ya a little hard, DA, but I have support for both the mill and the program, whats bobcad got to offer? As for the crack at the guy you said had a hard time at the sprut tutorial, He got it done. Goes like this, those that cant do teach those, that cant teach sell.But Im learning from him. I might look at bobcam for my 1907 brown and sharpe universal mill thought.
    So because your grammar is poor, it was your teacher's fault? Gotcha. <entitled, cough-cough>

The fact that you are a rookie is telling. I always recommend to rookies to buy the most expensive package they can afford. I am the machinist, the CAM is a tool - just like any other tool. If I am no good as a machinist, the tool can sometimes make up for it. That is why I suggest a high end CAM for beginners, contrary to some of the suggestions here. I've seen MasterCAM make "machinists" out of engineers. That's impressive. Sure the part looks like **** and barely passes spec but they did it.

Sprutcam apparently makes up for your shortcomings. That is a testament to how good their product is. But if you can't make parts with other CAM software, that is YOUR deficiency, not the software's.

So are you going to step up with your challenge or are you done here?

Nobody has replied in a while. I just downloaded the SprutCAM 8 demo and am pulling my hair out. The help menu only covers the 2007 version. the online tutorials cover version 7. The US website hasn't even changed their literature to show that they are now on version 8. The manual is basically a poorly written reference manual. I can not get past the 3rd tormach Sprutcam tutorial since everything seems to be different. I have no idea how I'm going to learn this software but seem to have little choice since my budget is under 1500 and I need 3D and 4th axis.

Any other options out there that may work that is well referenced and not BOBCAD?

sure there are lots of cam packages for you to choose from.....
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

See if you can still buy version 7? The tutorials for that are pretty good.
    I've been relearning SprutCam for a project I need it for. I've only pulled out some of my hair. There is no doubt it is a very powerful package. But you have to think they way it wants you to think.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    See if you can still buy version 7? The tutorials for that are pretty good.
    I've been relearning SprutCam for a project I need it for. I've only pulled out some of my hair. There is no doubt it is a very powerful package. But you have to think they way it wants you to think.
    +1 here. I still don't think 8 is ready for prime time. I am comfortable with 7 and not compelled to upgrade.

It's very powerful for the $. It can be a bit buggy, its not perfect and you certainly won't learn it in a day or 10, but nothing even remotely comes close for the features and functionality if buying from Tormach with the mill for the price.

David

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post

Let me start by saying I have never used SprutCam,
    Phil

I've had my copy of BobCad V23 for about 4 years now, and I haven't made a part with it yet.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

There is no reason you can't make parts with bobcad v23. it hurts my ears to hear that and with all the work I do with tormach customers I know the software works. steve if your open to it I would like to help you I am sure after 5 mins of working with me your 23 will be pumping out parts like it should be.
    Al DePoalo

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    There is no reason you can't make parts with bobcad v23. it hurts my ears to hear that and with all the work I do with tormach customers I know the software works. steve if your open to it I would like to help you I am sure after 5 mins of working with me your 23 will be pumping out parts like it should be.
    I'm good with that. I would really like to learn how to both draw a solid model, and machine from a solid model. I NEVER machine from just a few lines. When I do a job, I will "always" make a solid model because I want to see what the part is going to look like before I machine it.

My phone number should be in my file, or I can PM it to you. Your choice.

I had a situation last week where a potential customer sent me some files that he used to 3D print some parts. He was printing them in plastic, but he wanted to make them out of brass. I was able to open them in BobCad, but I couldn't do anything with them.

If you can teach me how to use BobCad, I will change from your worst enemy to your biggest advovate.

I am absolutely buried this week. I have to make a plaque to do on top of the box my mother-in-laws ashes will be buried in. She passed away last September and we are going to have her ashes intered this coming Friday. My mother-in-law was definitely NOT the mother-in-law from hell. She was a great lady. She lived to be 97 years old.

If you can do that, I might even know a couple more people who would be interested.

They have asked me how much GibbsCam would cost them, and I tell them a minimum of $5,000.00 for the mill and another $3,500.00 for the lathe software.

Steve
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

To get the decent pricing, I have to go through Tormach. They are no longer supporting SC7. I battled with it more over the weekend and made some progress. Enough progress to feel comfortable buying it. There are some things about it that seem just plain weird, like how you have to set up the feeds and speeds on the actual tool. Looks like I will have to make a different tool menu for each material (maybe each job). I'm sure I will loose more hair over this, but, just bought SC8 this morning from Tormach.

I'm sure I will be posting/venting more in a week or so.

Thanks.

Steve,

Yes I want to work with you and get you going with the software. Here's a little video of what I am going to teach you about BobCAD. I understand you had a hard time with BobCAD in the past, but that doesn't mean your experience will be the same this time through. I want to see you up and running with the software and I am here to help!

I aslo want to give you a free upgrade, we have been on opposite sides of the fence and well I want to make things right by you. Thanks for giving me the chance to work with you.

Al DePoalo

Al, as a BobCAD customer who is largely satisfied with the software and recently upgraded to v25, I am going to agree with the other posters in this thread that this kind of advocacy simply does not reflect well on your company or you.

I run a software company and do a lot of social media marketing and would be happy to share my thoughts with you privately. I get what you're trying to do here and respect that but IMHO there are more effective ways to go about this that are more respectful of how online communities work.

I've tried BobCAD twice now, and both times found it unstable, and frustrating. Many simple operations are very complicated, and I can crash the app almost at will. I recently tried doing the same 3D model in both BobCAD and Alibre. In Alibre, I spent a couple of hours learning HOW to do, and about four hours actually doing it. I've spent more than that so far on BobCAD, and still don't know enough to be able to make the model, and in the learning process crashed it countless times.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Al, I watch part of the video and you defiantly appear to understand your product and have lots to share.

I know if I was a customer, what would help me would be your own thread walking people through how to use your product like in the video posted. I don't think it belongs here though.

David

Al, I got your PM but can't seem to reply, apparently you're not accepting PMs or are not able to. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Steve,

Yes I want to work with you and get you going with the software. Here's a little video of what I am going to teach you about BobCAD. I understand you had a hard time with BobCAD in the past, but that doesn't mean your experience will be the same this time through. I want to see you up and running with the software and I am here to help!

I aslo want to give you a free upgrade, we have been on opposite sides of the fence and well I want to make things right by you. Thanks for giving me the chance to work with you.

Thank you Al. I am going to go tomorrow and show someone how to set up his new Tormach mill. All he gets tomorrow is a lesson on how to indicate the vise straight, pick up the X and Y edges and how to set the tool lengths. Next week, we'll start machining parts. First we'll cut the ends, then we'll cut the top and bottom of the part, then we'll cut the shapes on the sides.

He has asked me about GibbsCam, but if I can learn how to use BobCad, I will send him your way instead. I told him to get the level of GibbsCam I have, he would have to spend over $18,000.00. But I did it when I had a real CNC shop, when I had never heard about BobCad. I don't know if BobCad was even around when I started using Virtual Gibbs. It changed to GibbsCam about a year after I started using it.

I'll look forward to working with you. I feel like any day spent without learning something new no matter how insignificant is a wasted day.

Steve

Al,

You need to change your profile - you have your preferences set to disable PMs....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I am not sure what the issue is with the PM's. I check my settings and I have PM's turned on...

my email is

al (at) bobcad (.) com
    Al DePoalo

Save as default parameters SprutCAM

red triangle

First I use SprutCAM for all my projects for some time now and it does a good job for the price tag on it. See Pix of one of them that I did on my 1100. I almost never use the wizards in the mill; most of my parts are too complex for wizards.

Attachment 189724

This thread is turning into a BobCAD thing so I apologies for not paying good attention to it.

To get the decent pricing, I have to go through Tormach. They are no longer supporting SC7. I battled with it more over the weekend and made some progress. Enough progress to feel comfortable buying it. There are some things about it that seem just plain weird, like how you have to set up the feeds and speeds on the actual tool. Looks like I will have to make a different tool menu for each material (maybe each job). I'm sure I will loose more hair over this, but, just bought SC8 this morning from Tormach.

I'm sure I will be posting/venting more in a week or so.

Thanks.
    I hope the hair lose can be kept to a minimum I think you made a good choice with SprutCAM.

SprutCAM will do what you want and perhaps more. After you get everything setup the way you need it to do the operation or a task in the Machining Tab and wish to save it. Let’s say we are doing a Roughing waterline, Right Click on the Roughing waterline and then select by left clicking on (Save as default parameters) this will save all settings Tool, Feeds/Speeds, Lead In/Lead Out, Parameters, Strategy and so on. After left clicking on or selecting (Save as default parameters) you can save a name to this operation. I make the name start with the operation name, in this case Roughing waterline than the tool name and then the material type. This will save everything for use at a later time. The name must be descriptive so you know what the new operation setup will do.

When it is time to use this setup again select or create Roughing waterline Right Click on Roughing waterline that was jest created and left click to select on (Load from default parameters), Select from the list of operations that were saved in the past and this will load all the settings. This saves time after you get a quantity of settings stored.

Mike Flood

Page 5 of 6 3456