587,249 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > made a little doohicky... still needs some minor adjustments, but its all good...

made a little doohicky... still needs some minor adjustments, but its all good...

just thought I would post a non-question, non-gripe, mill worked fine, my code worked fine, nothing broke, it is a good Friday...
    so may as well have a happy post:wee:
    Attachment 191132

admittedly its nothing fancy, not special in any way, just a simple little doohicky, it still needs a bit of tweaking here and there, but nothing major...
    of course my photo skillz kind of suck, it does look a bit nicer in real life...

Some What

What is it you Lost me. So I'm Some What Lost. Just a play on words. O boy I'm BORED.

Carl Boe

just a fancy 1/4x20 star wing nut type deal, somewhat similar to the style used on 56 continental's air cleaner and power steering pump.
    real ones look somewhat like this image I just stole from the web:

of course the real ones are some sort of crap cast metal that was so crappy they need an insert for the treads... and mine is a pretty (for now) billet aluminum...

Nice Don!
    And a positive post to boot, makes one wonder if the forum is taking a turn for the better??
    mike sr

Rat rod guys would love those!

Nice. Are you planning on throwing it in the tumbler?

Neat. Thanks for showing us!

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    Nice Don!
    And a positive post to boot, makes one wonder if the forum is taking a turn for the better??
    well first off, who is Don?
    fwiw, my name is Ken.

not sure I really agree with it making the forum better or anything like that... I am fairly certain that what makes a forum great is diversity and balance.. ie when the happy vs unhappy, serious vs non-serious, sane vs insane are all present and in balance...

it has just been a while (ever?) since I had just a straight up happy all is well post, so it seemed like a good time to have one to keep the whole universe in balance and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Nice. Are you planning on throwing it in the tumbler?
    I don't actually have a tumbler... I have thought about getting a Harbor fright one eventually... just haven't got around to it yet...
    I will probably just stick with buffing for now, that tends to at least knock off the sharp edges/etc... (and make it really shiny too )

one issue I did notice is that it seems either my 1/8" end mill is slightly larger than 1/8" or my 1/4" is slightly smaller... there is maybe a 0.002" impression where the 1/8" end mill came up/contacted an area the was finished by the 1/4" end mill...
    wonder if I can fix that just by telling sprutcam that my 1/8" EM is really 0.129" (ie an extra 0.002" on each side)
    not a big deal really, should just buff out... but still I should probably find some way to fix it...

the only other real issue I found is also related to the 1/8" EM... seems I either forgot to set, or set incorrectly the safe retract height... the 1/8" kind of skimmed along the top of my part when moving from place to place, again leaving a maybe 0.001" or 0.002" mark... easy fix and it will easily buff out, so no biggy...

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    well first off, who is Don?
    fwiw, my name is Ken.

not sure I really agree with it making the forum better or anything like that... I am fairly certain that what makes a forum great is diversity and balance.. ie when the happy vs unhappy, serious vs non-serious, sane vs insane are all present and in balance...

it has just been a while (ever?) since I had just a straight up happy all is well post, so it seemed like a good time to have one to keep the whole universe in balance and all that...
    Sorry Ken, I had you confused with someone else.......
    mike sr

the only other real issue I found is also related to the 1/8" EM... seems I either forgot to set, or set incorrectly the safe retract height... the 1/8" kind of skimmed along the top of my part when moving from place to place, again leaving a maybe 0.001" or 0.002" mark... easy fix and it will easily buff out, so no biggy...
    If you are using SprutCAM 7, the 2D Contour operation properties screen allows you to set the safe height. If you do so, it will reset itself to zero the first time (no matter what you type in). You have to reopen the screen, set it again, then it will stick. I fight this constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    Sorry Ken, I had you confused with someone else.......
    This is an issue for me with anonymous screen names and people not signing their real name to postings. Why are some afraid to sign a post with their real name?

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by takewhatyoulike View Post
    Why are some afraid to sign a post with their real name?
    I don't know that its fear so much as at least for me its more like laziness...
    and seems somewhat unimportant...

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    If you are using SprutCAM 7, the 2D Contour operation properties screen allows you to set the safe height. If you do so, it will reset itself to zero the first time (no matter what you type in). You have to reopen the screen, set it again, then it will stick. I fight this constantly.
    I think that has been fixed in the later versions of SC 7. Se my sig to see what version I am running, have not seen that occur in this or the last few version I have installed.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

I don't know that its fear so much as at least for me its more like laziness...
    and seems somewhat unimportant...
    Unimportant... most of the time. Some like hiding under the skirts of anonyminity so as to post with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Unimportant... most of the time. Some like hiding under the skirts of anonyminity so as to post with impunity.
    I think what we have here is a bit of generational gap or something...
    I, like many others, use the same login/username/whatever you want to call it, everywhere... here, over at the XLforums,the Buellitenboard,AVS,CQC forums, sagetTV, etc it even goes back all the way to the '90's and battlenet (starcraft & such... although I doubt that is still active)
    so in a way, SWL is just an extension of me (or something to that effect) so it is not really anonymous at all...
    I have made truly brilliant posts at times, and spectacularly stupid ones at others (hey I am human, these things happen...) but they are all out there for anyone to see for all eternity... (not quite sure why anyone would care to look them up, but hey, if they did, they could...) are they any less me than me?
    actually, in many ways SWL is less anonymous than Ken...

and of course thanks to the NSA is anyone really anonymous?

well my brain hurts now, no more philosophy for me...

Your endmill mark is from the toolpath entry, my guess is you plunged. Try 10* ramp entry, also that can mean you didn't have a .003-.005 finish pass to clean that up. (can happen on exit if you had deflection) Conventional finish pass can be better than climb aswell, just depends.